First Day of Practice for the Lady Vols 2018 -2019

Pat4life

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – With five newcomers and six returnees taking the court, seventh-year head coach Holly Warlick put her 2018-19 Tennessee women's basketball team through its first official practice of the season on Sunday morning at Pratt Pavilion.

Before they got down to business on the court, however, the team cheered on participants running in the Race for the Summitt 4-mile road race at UT's Circle Park. Warlick served as the official starter and also ran in the fundraiser for the Pat Summitt Foundation.

Also taking place prior to practice were interviews with the media. Seniors Cheridene Green and Meme Jackson as well as Warlick answered questions about offseason workouts, the vibe of the team, the overall youth of the squad, leadership roles, team chemistry and other topics.

Wooohoo. Lets' go Lady Vols!

Click Here: Lady Vols Hold First Practice Of 2018-19 - University of Tennessee

On who has improved over the off-season:
"I think Rennia Davis has really upped her game. Meme (Jackson) has upped her game and Kasi (Kushkituah). They've all been in the gym, but Rennia first comes to mind because of the amount of hours and time she spent in the gym. They've all done a great job."

Meme has always been a lottery athlete...She needed the mindset of a leader and a champion...At the end of last year,,taking her defender off the dribble, multiple angle driving and mid-range was missing from her skillset. She could shoot the three and could guard ANY position.

If her summer sessions plugged the holes in her game...look out.

The first time I ever saw Rennia Davis play I said to the people with me, "Davis moves her body like few Lady Vols ever have and, with the right coaching, could be in the conversation for POY by her junior season if she stays healthy and the program makes a comeback."

I don't know if THAT will come true, but she will for SURE be a star in the professional ranks one day.

Yeah I thought, she was the best player in her class. Lets see if that holds true.

Yeah I thought, she was the best player in her class. Lets see if that holds true.

I think it will P4.
This kid has a chamique-like presence.

This team, this year will be what VFFL's ((Vol Fans For Life)) have waited on.
They may or may not not come out with a 15 win streak, but they will do something this time that the other groups didn't...They will grow stronger.

These kids have all the markings of self-governing players.
Each one, inner driven.
All they need is coaxing and coaching.

The senior leadership has led by example and shown off-season work ethic.
If the coaches hit the films, as hard as the girls have hit the gyms, this will be a very good year.
They have to concentrate and figure out game strategy and proper use of weapons, given. (time out).

Most importantly, they have to realize,
though,
that self-driven players are equally loyal to their mentors and coaches...And they will follow them in success or failure, equally loyal and equally submissive.

I think it will P4.

They may or may not not come out with a 15 win streak, but they will do something this time that the other groups didn't...They will grow stronger.

Each one, inner driven.

If the coaches hit the films, as hard as the girls have hit the gyms, this will be a very good year.
They have to concentrate and figure out game strategy and proper use of weapons, given. (time out).

though,
that self-driven players are equally loyal to their mentors and coaches...And they will follow them in success or failure, equally loyal and equally submissive.

The fear, of course, is that the offensive plan remains the same as it has been the past few years, making it painfully possible that the players could (again) lose faith and heart once they realize that opponents' defenses appear to be a step ahead of them. Every season for a long time that has happened. The players are gung-ho in the beginning, but when opponents figure out that our offense is as predictable as sunrise and shut our players down, they lose faith in what they've been taught and who's teaching them.

My fervent hope is that this team will feel like they've been given the tools to score in many different ways against many different defenses, and that they won't have to give up and just start trying to take over games individually because they each feel like "SOMEone has to try SOMETHING to score because nothing we know to do over and over again is working anymore!"

The big AHA, I got from the interviews, this is the first summer where they actually played pickup, Meme saying this is her first time ever.

Wow! No wonder!

I think it will P4.

Each one, inner driven.

though,

This is what you posted in July of 2017 on this very forum.

"Last year I threaded that DD would be a jumper. (I didn't know she would jump that far though) I also was very forceful in asking for Holly's step away.

I have studied this current program as if I was going to be tested on it.

This is the year folks".

It's deja vu. Every year we hear how the team has come together like they haven"t before.
We have a team loaded with freshmen and sophomores, we lose our two best players along with the SEC 6th player of the year, yet we will do things that we haven't been able to do the last 6 years ?
Maybe we will, I hope so. But pardon me if I am a little skeptical and wait until I see the results before proclaiming this year's team final four candidates.

The fear, of course, is that the offensive plan remains the same as it has been the past few years, making it painfully possible that the players could (again) lose faith and heart once they realize that opponents' defenses appear to be a step ahead of them. Every season for a long time that has happened. The players are gung-ho in the beginning, but when opponents figure out that our offense is as predictable as sunrise and shut our players down, they lose faith in what they've been taught and who's teaching them.

My fervent hope is that this team will feel like they've been given the tools to score in many different ways against many different defenses, and that they won't have to give up and just start trying to take over games individually because they each feel like "SOMEone has to try SOMETHING to score because nothing we know to do over and over again is working anymore!"

The gung-ho players who lose faith were the players they didn't have the right mix of coaching for (The Alpha athletes). ...They don't seem to have them in this group.

These more, self-governing players are the type that will use/fill statlines, not just sections of it...Cerebral players who chart their stats, not for glory, but for pinpointing weaknesses in their own game. ""As I stress to my players, fill that statline. . . not just points and rebounds, but steals, blocks, 3's, fouls, every dot!!! If you ain't putting marks in every category you aren't playing every aspect of the game"". . . . Start off by filling the statline and grow by reducing the bad stats and increasing the good ones or the unfilled ones....Chart the proficiency stats (Asst to TO ratio (2:1),,,Steal's versus TO's ratio(1:1),,,Offensive Charges versus Defensive Blocks (1:2.5)...etc

Reactions: ruvol
This is what you posted in July of 2017 on this very forum.

"Last year I threaded that DD would be a jumper. (I didn't know she would jump that far though) I also was very forceful in asking for Holly's step away.

I have studied this current program as if I was going to be tested on it.

This is the year folks".

It's deja vu. Every year we hear how the team has come together like they haven"t before.
We have a team loaded with freshmen and sophomores, we lose our two best players along with the SEC 6th player of the year, yet we will do things that we haven't been able to do the last 6 years ?
Maybe we will, I hope so. But pardon me if I am a little skeptical and wait until I see the results before proclaiming this year's team final four candidates.

You are wise to be skeptical...the constant, is still, the constant.

It was the year, for 15 games, then Dr Jekyll found a place to Hyde.
Can't let that happen and I feel it won;t because I see no monsters in this bunch.

I'm excited for them this year, I just worry about their offense and development from coaches, not their own work ethic.

Yawns!

Holly's hiring has been top notch.

Holly's recruiting has been top notch.

Holly's development of players is relative, they have to put in the work too.

Holly's offense, really like she's running it.

Let's go Ladies. Hopefully, this season is another step in the right direction.

I am so excited. I just can't hide it. Imma about to lose control and I think I like it.

Oh yeah. Go Lady Vols!

Yawns!

I am so excited. I just can't hide it. Imma about to lose control and I think I like it.

Oh yeah. Go Lady Vols!

Most ppl saying their exciting about this team, I say it's too early to tell if a pregnant woman will have a boy or a girl.

Really interested to see what this team looks like on the floor. There is no Mercedes to go to. One former Lady Vol went to practice yesterday and said she liked what she saw. This is going to be an interesting year. The team is pretty young so there may be some bumps in the road but I'm ready for the ride.

Her teams are always the same running that old tired offense. They will turn the ball over 20 times, mainly because its easy to defend, and in the post game she will have no clue why they lost. Maybe she can blame it on youth, wait that was last years excuse.

All I know is they are still undefeated so far and I'M HAPPY! ready for UCONN

starting five? rae, Rennia, MeMe, KK, C Green. mark it! who needs a pg? lol

Yawns!

Oh yeah. Go Lady Vols!
I say this not to be argumentative, we have to quit indirectly, or directly, blaming the players for not putting in the time, or being dedicated gym rats. There are some that may not put in the time, but that is true in any program.

I do believe Holly has made some good hires and the recruiting is as good as any top ten program, however, it is not reflected all year long on the court, especially when it is NCAA time. It is almost like the team starts the year off with top 10 promise but dies in the stretch. That is an issue that has to be fixed. It could be the coaching or it could be the players, however, it is up to the head coach to fix the situation. The head coach has to have buy in from staff and players. We have the players to make this a top ten program, the ball is in the coaches’ court.

I say this not to be argumentative, we have to quit indirectly, or directly, blaming the players for not putting in the time, or being dedicated gym rats. There are some that may not put in the time, but that is true in any program.

I do believe Holly has made some good hires and the recruiting is as good as any top ten program, however, it is not reflected all year long on the court, especially when it is NCAA time. It is almost like the team starts the year off with top 10 promise but dies in the stretch. That is an issue that has to be fixed. It could be the coaching or it could be the players, however, it is up to the head coach to fix the situation. The head coach has to have buy in from staff and players. We have the players to make this a top ten program, the ball is in the coaches’ court.
Agreed.

teacherdean said:
I say this not to be argumentative, we have to quit indirectly, or directly, blaming the players for not putting in the time, or being dedicated gym rats....... There are some that may not put in the time,...

Not dedicated,
or,
not inspired?

Its not only laziness, there is a mental aspect to work-ethic as well.
A coach can yell, demand or force,,,Or,,, they can inspire.
With some athletes you have to push the right button, with others you have to pull it.

When the team died in the stretch, it was most often because of the same occurrences:

`Lack of individual creative scoring moves, off of the "motion set" (Read and React calls for the players to take advantage of opportunities while making their individual movement/motion in the "set",,,when you get to the end of the set,, the clock has run down,, and you go into the OMG stage. . . There, lack of flow in movement and ball-movement stifled us.

`Letting the other team go on runs that should have been stopped by a timeout, seemingly, waiting on a TV timeout. ( When we are up 15, 20, more,,protect the lead...Don't wait until it is a 2 pt game and burn them all in the last minute (( That's for football! )). . . Basketball is a game of runs, where football is a game of scoring. They use a timeout to stop or orchestrate scoring,,,We use them to stop runs. (This changes in blowouts and wire-to-wire close games).

`Missed layups (They can practice them until they puke, but if they aren't practicing them at the same breakneck speeds, while being chased, they are not practicing layups FOR a game, they are practicing to make them in layup lines).

I have looked at this team from all angles and I do not see a "look at me" player.
CHW has never struggled to get the best out of self-motivated players.
She is a "players coach"... This is my optimism.

This will be a much anticipated LV year.

Well that's where we disagree in order for any program to be successful it takes ownership of the players and the coaching staff. FACT!
The players work on their game. And the coaches prepare and get them ready to win!
These two rules have always held true in any sport.

We always think we have great, good players (recruits) on paper, oh we have the players. See, if those players don't put in the work. They will only be good players on paper and fans still have this false sense of these players being good players when they haven't done anything remotely or worthy (consistent) to be called that. ALL SEC & ALL AMERICANS!

Players put work for Pat in the offseason, especially her star players and sometimes if her players didn't put in the work, the Lady Vols still had more athleticism than most teams, to make up for our lack of bb skill for some players. Now, we can't get away with our players not getting in the gym, top players are going everywhere, they are way more athletic players, so if our players don't get in the gym, that what you so much hate that we have become, we still stay, Average, especially if that talent don't put in the work, or if the coach cannot motivate them to put in the work. I do think Holly needs to do a better job of getting more players to work hard for her int he offseason, and it seems like this summer, she accomplished that, however, we shall see.

Stay in the gym ladies.

I am excited. I am just looking for a step in the right direction. Maybe that is this year win and losses record. Maybe its if they win the SEC. Maybe its they way they play. I don't know but like all I will be looking to see progress, growth.

Nope, the promise that's in your head, they being top 10.

Do you think we are a top 10 team now, with no games played, returning leading scorer soph and how we finished the season?

No you probably feel we have top 10 talent and poor coaching?

Go Lady Vols.

Last edited:
Really interested to see what this team looks like on the floor. There is no Mercedes to go to. One former Lady Vol went to practice yesterday and said she liked what she saw. This is going to be an interesting year. The team is pretty young so there may be some bumps in the road but I'm ready for the ride.

EXACTLY!

...I am excited. I am just looking for a step in the right direction. Maybe that is this year win and losses record. Maybe its if they win the SEC. Maybe its they way they play. I don't know but like all I will be looking to see progress, growth...

Do they get progressively better than the contest before?
Do the correct things they do wrong in the next outing or opportunity?
Do they finish as strong or stronger than they start?
These are the measures of growth I am looking for.

VN Store

Back