Fire Pruitt [merged]

Should Jeremy Pruitt be fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pruitt will be sent packing after he underachieves again next season. Hopefully Fulmer will go with him.

If he doesn’t win 8 games in the 2020 season he should be unemployed or at the very least gone from here. Eight wins means he would beat SC and Missouri lose to Bama , Florida , Georgia , Oklahoma.

If someone monumentally fails to do their job at a key day, event, or moment for my business, then it is the product of weeks and months of mismanagement and the resultant loss in customers will cost me far more than ridding myself of those responsible for the failure.

I cannot believe Fulmer would be as blissfully happy with incompetence as you are.

I cant believe u would fire an employee and still pay them. Only in football does this happen, these buyouts are crazy. If you are going to have buyouts it should be linked to performance.

If he doesn’t win 8 games in the 2020 season he should be unemployed or at the very least gone from here. Eight wins means he would beat SC and Missouri lose to Bama , Florida , Georgia , Oklahoma.

Mizzou will beat Fla again this year
SC beat UGA this year.

We may get to six this year?
And that's probably the number next year too.

2021 Our roster should be much more balanced.

I cant believe u would fire an employee and still pay them. Only in football does this happen, these buyouts are crazy. If you are going to have buyouts it should be linked to performance.

This happens in almost every very high paying job with an employment contract. It happens in every sport, and in every major corporate boardroom. When you fire a CEO, you have to pay the balance of the contract, or some agreed upon sum. It really isn't that rare.

Reactions: 1Ooltevol
This happens in almost every very high paying job with an employment contract. It happens in every sport, and in every major corporate boardroom. When you fire a CEO, you have to pay the balance of the contract, or some agreed upon sum. It really isn't that rare.

No one will work for these people without a huge buy out. They don't know what they are doing and every good coach knows it. Would take years to change this perception in the marketplace.

No one will work for these people without a huge buy out. They don't know what they are doing and every good coach knows it. Would take years to change this perception in the marketplace.

How do you even get to that conclusion? Every coach, in every conference, on every team, has a buyout. Every professional player, on every team, in every sport, has a buyout. Every CEO, for every company, has a buyout. Most high level employees sign employment contracts that specify damages (buyout) for early termination.

This is still a good job. It requires the right guy, with the chutzpah to believe he knows the way to lead to success. If the coach doesn't believe that - we don't want him anyways.

Mizzou will beat Fla again this year
SC beat UGA this year.

We may get to six this year?
And that's probably the number next year too.

2021 Our roster should be much more balanced.

We can do better than that next year, if Mauer grows into a legit SEC QB. Based on what I've seen so far, he can, but it's a small sample.

How do you even get to that conclusion? Every coach, in every conference, on every team, has a buyout. Every professional player, on every team, in every sport, has a buyout. Every CEO, for every company, has a buyout. Most high level employees sign employment contracts that specify damages (buyout) for early termination.

This is still a good job. It requires the right guy, with the chutzpah to believe he knows the way to lead to success. If the coach doesn't believe that - we don't want him anyways.

Every CEO doesn't have one, where did you get that? Yes, buy-outs are common but does this buy-out seem logical for a DC with no head coaching experience. Buy-outs are to protect income, this guy is making 5 times what he was making on his last job. Do you think he needs a buy-out of this size to protect that income? It doesn't make any sense, but as I said no one will work here without a ridiculous contract. You could see this clearly by the number of top coaches, with experience, who turned down the job on the last search.

Every CEO doesn't have one, where did you get that? Yes, buy-outs are common but does this buy-out seem logical for a DC with no head coaching experience. Buy-outs are to protect income, this guy is making 5 times what he was making on his last job. Do you think he needs a buy-out of this size to protect that income? It doesn't make any sense, but as I said no one will work here without a ridiculous contract. You could see this clearly by the number of top coaches, with experience, who turned down the job on the last search.

This is a typical clause in a CEO contract:

(a) General. If Executive’s employment is terminated for any reason, including death, disability, discharge by the Employer, or resignation by Executive, Executive shall be entitled to receive and the Employer shall cause to be paid any earned but unpaid periodic payments of Executive’s then Base Salary plus payment for any accrued but unused vacation for the periods of Executive’s service through the effective date of termination.

That's the same thing as a buyout.

Also, what coaches really turned us down? There's no evidence that we went after anyone but Schiano - prior to the post-Schiano dumpster fire a lot of those coaches would have likely taken us. It wasn't because of the situation those coaches didn't take the job - it was the administration in shambles. Even then, Leach was, by all accounts, willing to take the job - but Currie lacked authority to offer it.

Phil went after one coach. He got his first choice. So, no, I can't see that "clearly."

Buy-outs are to protect income, this guy is making 5 times what he was making on his last job. Do you think he needs a buy-out of this size to protect that income? It doesn't make any sense, but as I said no one will work here without a ridiculous contract.

Coming back to clarify more stuff. He's making 5 times more than his previous salary, maybe. But, he's the 26th highest paid coach - indicating his salary isn't egregious, or even particularly high. What's your actual complaint?

Buy outs are to protect the employee in case of termination. I guess you could say "income" but that doesn't really cover it. It's to protect the employee against early termination. Yes, I think a high buyout is warranted.

It was clear to everyone involved that this rebuild was goign to take a while. The high buyout ensures Pruitt that he will have time to instill his system, without having to unnecessarily worry about trigger happy assholes (like this forum) **** canning him when he loses some games. There's nothing even remotely questionable about this course of action. It should have been expected, even if Neyland himself rose from the grave and took the job. It doesn't fit the "fahr Pruit" narrative, but otherwise it's pretty typical and customary.

Coming back to clarify more stuff. He's making 5 times more than his previous salary, maybe. But, he's the 26th highest paid coach - indicating his salary isn't egregious, or even particularly high. What's your actual complaint?

Buy outs are to protect the employee in case of termination. I guess you could say "income" but that doesn't really cover it. It's to protect the employee against early termination. Yes, I think a high buyout is warranted.

It was clear to everyone involved that this rebuild was goign to take a while. The high buyout ensures Pruitt that he will have time to instill his system, without having to unnecessarily worry about trigger happy assholes (like this forum) **** canning him when he loses some games. There's nothing even remotely questionable about this course of action. It should have been expected, even if Neyland himself rose from the grave and took the job. It doesn't fit the "fahr Pruit" narrative, but otherwise it's pretty typical and customary.

Slow down Sally...no one said anything about fire Pruitt. We are strictly talking about a 6 million plus buy out for a guy who was making less than 1 million 10 minutes before the contract was signed. You that that is reasonable? Of course its unreasonable but the only way even an assistant would accept a job here. The other coaches contacted in the search did not sign because they wanted even more salary and compensation if terminated. No one wants to work here.

Ok, but it is still stupid to do that.

Slow down Sally...no one said anything about fire Pruitt. We are strictly talking about a 6 million plus buy out for a guy who was making less than 1 million 10 minutes before the contract was signed. You that that is reasonable? Of course its unreasonable but the only way even an assistant would accept a job here. The other coaches contacted in the search did not sign because they wanted even more salary and compensation if terminated. No one wants to work here.

Just read this...

9 college football coach buyouts, ranked by inexplicability

You're wrong. That's how buyouts work. They are a percentage of the outstanding contract balance, usually. They go down after time, and the full balance of the contract is paid down. They also get cut when the former employee takes future employment (why Butch is screwing us working as a coffee boy). It is totally normal. It is customary.

Finally, show some evidence for your claim that all the other coaches wanted "more salary and compensation if terminated." Pretty sure you're speculating at best and just making things up at worst.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Ok, but it is still stupid to do that.

You have two job offers:

(1) $450,000. 10 years. You get 70% of remaining unpaid salary if terminated (i.e. with 1,000,000 left to pay, you get $700,000).

(2) $480,000. 10 years. You get nothing if terminated.

Which one do you take?

When you are looking at hiring people at that level, the compensation packages get ludicrous. But, it's because the company is competing with other businesses for that person. So, they offer things like this to induce them to sign. It prevents the company from making a knee jerk reaction to hiring them. In many ways, the company is tying themselves to that person. It makes sure everyone is on the same page.

At the same time, those contracts are often written with benchmarks for certain industry related standards. For example, revenue must increase at 4% average by year four, etc.

So, frankly, your statement that it's stupid just indicates you really have no idea how that system works.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Just read this...

9 college football coach buyouts, ranked by inexplicability

You're wrong. That's how buyouts work. They are a percentage of the outstanding contract balance, usually. They go down after time, and the full balance of the contract is paid down. They also get cut when the former employee takes future employment (why Butch is screwing us working as a coffee boy). It is totally normal. It is customary.

Finally, show some evidence for your claim that all the other coaches wanted "more salary and compensation if terminated." Pretty sure you're speculating at best and just making things up at worst.

Mike Hamilton, is that you?

Mike Hamilton, is that you?

So, let me get this straight. Your argument is that only high buyouts go to coaches who sign at schools no one wants to go to. Jimbo Fisher has $68M buyout at A&M. Does that mean no one wanted to have that job?

You might have some bias, or something that makes it hard to accept and understand. Maybe you just never did well in school. Who knows?

I can't make it any simpler for you. Coaches get a buyout, as a portion of unpaid salary. Just like almost every high paid worker out there. It is whatever the parties to the contract agree it is. One coach might get a high buyout because the job is tough, and they want security for when the road is bumpy (CJP). Others might want a large buyout because they are leaving somewhere good, and want to make sure the money is more guaranteed (Jimbo).

And, my point remains, you have no evidence, proof, or justification for your claims about the other coaches. It's made of the hot gas that comes out of your butt.

So, let me get this straight. Your argument is that only high buyouts go to coaches who sign at schools no one wants to go to. Jimbo Fisher has $68M buyout at A&M. Does that mean no one wanted to have that job?

You might have some bias, or something that makes it hard to accept and understand. Maybe you just never did well in school. Who knows?

I can't make it any simpler for you. Coaches get a buyout, as a portion of unpaid salary. Just like almost every high paid worker out there. It is whatever the parties to the contract agree it is. One coach might get a high buyout because the job is tough, and they want security for when the road is bumpy (CJP). Others might want a large buyout because they are leaving somewhere good, and want to make sure the money is more guaranteed (Jimbo).

And, my point remains, you have no evidence, proof, or justification for your claims about the other coaches. It's made of the hot gas that comes out of your butt.

An existing coach making 4 million plus could logically pull a buy out of 6 million to protect his current position. To say an assistant coach making 500K logically deserves a 6 million dollar buy-out is stupid and ridiculous. There is no justification or precedent for it. If Pruitt wanted 6 million what do you think the other coaches offered who had experience wanted. Its just common sense. Turned down by Okl. State, Purdue, NC State and probably more. No one wants this job without something we were unwilling to give, what could it be?

You have two job offers:

(1) $450,000. 10 years. You get 70% of remaining unpaid salary if terminated (i.e. with 1,000,000 left to pay, you get $700,000).

(2) $480,000. 10 years. You get nothing if terminated.

Which one do you take?

When you are looking at hiring people at that level, the compensation packages get ludicrous. But, it's because the company is competing with other businesses for that person. So, they offer things like this to induce them to sign. It prevents the company from making a knee jerk reaction to hiring them. In many ways, the company is tying themselves to that person. It makes sure everyone is on the same page.

At the same time, those contracts are often written with benchmarks for certain industry related standards. For example, revenue must increase at 4% average by year four, etc.

So, frankly, your statement that it's stupid just indicates you really have no idea how that system works.

I know how the system works, I just think it's stupid. To give such huge buyouts to coaches, without any quotas or benchmarks which you even said is not unusaual to have in some contracts is stupid. In other words we will hire you, but if you don't succeed we will still pay you. I don't think there were other schools knocking at Pruitts door to hire him. I just think this buyout in contracts needs to be reevaluated and put some benchmarks for success in the contract. Such as we expect to win 6 games by year ?? or no buyout. If a coach thinks they can't win 6 games at ut by year 2 or 3 we don't need that coach.

I know how the system works, I just think it's stupid. To give such huge buyouts to coaches, without any quotas or benchmarks which you even said is not unusaual to have in some contracts is stupid. In other words we will hire you, but if you don't succeed we will still pay you. I don't think there were other schools knocking at Pruitts door to hire him. I just think this buyout in contracts needs to be reevaluated and put some benchmarks for success in the contract. Such as we expect to win 6 games by year ?? or no buyout. If a coach thinks they can't win 6 games at ut by year 2 or 3 we don't need that coach.

And yes it is much more attractive for the coaches. I totally agree with that. But at some point there has to be expectations in the contract.That's all i am saying at this point.

An existing coach making 4 million plus could logically pull a buy out of 6 million to protect his current position. To say an assistant coach making 500K logically deserves a 6 million dollar buy-out is stupid and ridiculous. There is no justification or precedent for it. If Pruitt wanted 6 million what do you think the other coaches offered who had experience wanted. Its just common sense. Turned down by Okl. State, Purdue, NC State and probably more. No one wants this job without something we were unwilling to give, what could it be?

Your memory is not very good. See the earlier post, on this same inane subject, where those coaches were all approached in the ****-show following Schiano Sunday. They didn't want to come here after the whole thing was on fire. I bet a bunch of those coaches don't say no if they were approached first. Still, you don't have any source or evidence for any of this stuff.

I'm emphasizing this, so maybe you'll get it: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SOMEONE MADE AT THEIR PREVIOUS POSITION. WHAT MATTERS IS THE JOB THEY ARE BEING HIRED FOR!

Every coach has an agent. Those agent's help negotiate contracts. They will not negotiate a contract for less than the industry typical terms. That includes price, buyout, perks, etc.

You're just being dense. Grab a dictionary, look up the word, "troglodyte."

Reactions: rs16 and 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back