Fire Holly, REALLY

It was a big win but neither team looked top 10. Tennessee tried to give the game away and was successful but Texas refused to take it, thats the way I saw the game. In any case improvement over last year.

Holly recruited this #1 freshmen class like she thought her job was in jeopardy. And for that she deserves all the credit. 3 hard-nosed fighters, each one a difference maker.

Absolutely no doubt Pat, Geno, or Dawn Staley could coach this team to a national title.

Holly is so much like Butch Jones, it’s not even funny. She recruits well but hasn’t shown in 5 years an ability to develop the talent she recruits.

Butch got the axe in year 5 because of that. Can Holly finish the season improved over the last 2? If so, she gets the benefit of the doubt. If not, it’s past time to go. If the AD wasn’t on the way out last year- she probably gets the axe then.

If you are still talking about firing Holly, you seriously need to shut your pie hole. This team is the real deal.

What was the purpose of this post? Was it to boast that Holly is a great coach in a childish way? If you actually support Holly, your post was counterproductive because it created a safe space for posters to harp on her coaching.

I’ll be watching you.

Reactions: 3 people
Absolutely no doubt Pat, Geno, or Dawn Staley could coach this team to a national title.

Holly is so much like Butch Jones, it’s not even funny. She recruits well but hasn’t shown in 5 years an ability to develop the talent she recruits.

Butch got the axe in year 5 because of that. Can Holly finish the season improved over the last 2? If so, she gets the benefit of the doubt. If not, it’s past time to go. If the AD wasn’t on the way out last year- she probably gets the axe then.
Please name one player that didn't improve/develop while she was coaching...back up your statement. Jones never had a top 3 recruiting class, let alone a 1 and followed it up with a 3 or 4. Jones flat out lost his job because he couldnt win big games. Holly has beaten the good teams the last 2 years and several other years. Her 3 sec titles are no where near comparable to Jones horrible sec records. Facts please...they are not on your side. Furthermore Dawn has one 1 title, don't even think about putting her in the level you did! 1 title in how many years as a head coach? That one was a gift from Miss St everyone knows it

Last edited:

Did you really throw Dawn Staley into that group?!?! 😂😂😂😂

She doesn’t develop players?!? Nared, Jackson, Russell, Dunbar, are all improved!

Before then.....Harrison, Massengale, Jones, Graves, Burdick, all improved.

Well, that is still an option. No final fours in a decade if we don't get there this year. Should be a perennial top five team, but we all know how that has gone. So watch with the sarcasm with one big win and a great start.

You do know 4 of those years were Summitt's. She has completed 5, the 6th is going wonderfully dispite your negitivity on their parade

Last edited:
Did you really throw Dawn Staley into that group?!?! 😂😂😂😂

She doesn’t develop players?!? Nared, Jackson, Russell, Dunbar, are all improved!

Before then.....Harrison, Massengale, Jones, Graves, Burdick, all improved.

You’ve included a lot of Pat recruits there, my friend.

Please name one player that didn't improve/develop while she was coaching...back up your statement. Jones never had a top 3 recruiting class, let alone a 1 and followed it up with a 3 or 4. Jones flat out lost his job because he couldnt win big games. Holly has beaten the good teams the last 2 years and several other years. Her 3 sec titles are no where near comparable to Jones horrible sec records. Facts please...they are not on your side. Furthermore Dawn has one 1 title, don't even think about putting her in the level you did! 1 title in how many years as a head coach? That one was a gift from Miss St everyone knows it

Go watch film of when Geno coached Mercedes Russell as part of the U23 team - night and day difference in her. She played like the number 1 recruit. How can her play be so different under different coaches?

It’s simple. One is a great coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Having the popular opinion doesn’t make you right. Fixed your post, btw.

Oh man you didn’t do a very good job! 😂 you’re not a graphic design artist are you! If so I want a refund! Nice try though! But try again before you step this way!

#dismissed

I purposely haven't watched any Lady Vol games this year. I wanted to wait and see how they performed against a power house such as TX. I have to say, I am impressed. I have to admit, I was on the fire Holly bandwagon last year. Heck, I may be again at the end of the season. There was something about last years team that did not sit well with me. I kept thinking that there was something very wrong with the program. I think the house cleaning has taken care of that problem. This is a team to watch. Let's sit back and enjoy what I think is going to be an interesting and entertaining season for Lady Vol fans.

Reactions: 2 people
I have seen too many state record scorers in high school shooting threes, and when they come to Tennessee it looks like they couldn't hit one if the basket was three times the size. It also looks like players are just tossing the ball around to shoot an off balanced shot at times the last few years. No sets, attack, everyone standing around, etc. This year looks different, players look to have a plan and talent is maximized. Holly should have been fired a long time ago, but it does appear she has got the team going somewhere this year. That's why I have a thread asking about her new assistants. Something has changed.

I support Holly as I did last year. Maybe there was no "chemistry" last year. Perhaps the fresh blood has helped the chemistry and the players are listening to her more.

Congrats to the team for a great win!

Weren’t you one of the main people that was complaining about Holly and her coaching abilities? NO I AM not attacking you! However, serious question what do you think of her coaching and adjustments this year? I think she has made some adjustments and gutsy calls. I would have pulled Hayes after a couple of mistakes when TX was making their run she stuck with her and then she made a great pass to Davis for a lay up and then got an AND ONE on what Mowins called a travel. Meh let’s just call that ONE in the books because Higgins had like 5 that weren’t called !

Great coaching, great job Holly!

Go watch film of when Geno coached Mercedes Russell as part of the U23 team - night and day difference in her. She played like the number 1 recruit. How can her play be so different under different coaches?

It’s simple. One is a great coach.
Delusional, she has played better this year and last then she did while he coached her. Sorry stats prove it. She credits her coaches at UT...i will take her opinion

Last edited:
She has actually learned to recruit after five years so maybe she has learned a little about coaching too. But I doubt it.

I have seen too many state record scorers in high school shooting threes, and when they come to Tennessee it looks like they couldn't hit one if the basket was three times the size. It also looks like players are just tossing the ball around to shoot an off balanced shot at times the last few years. No sets, attack, everyone standing around, etc. This year looks different, players look to have a plan and talent is maximized. Holly should have been fired a long time ago, but it does appear she has got the team going somewhere this year. That's why I have a thread asking about her new assistants. Something has changed.
Fired a long time ago? Like right after the 3 sec titles?
big difference in high school and college...only the best

She has actually learned to recruit after five years so maybe she has learned a little about coaching too. But I doubt it.
So Russell Turner Nared Cooper etc were not good recruiting, add in Diamond and Nunn... Not to mention the years she spent recruiting on the road for Pat...you just don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
We can all bi**h about what Holly did in the past and what if. No matter who she developed, or did not develope, this team seems to developing just fine. I was a huge anti Holly person, however, we need to cut the negative comments, no matter if we love or hate Holly. Right now, at this time and so far, she is putting a winning product on the floor. Let us at least give her credit for that.

Maybe Deshields was the problem

Not saying that is what happened with Diamond, but it wouldn't be the first time a talented player became a detriment to a team, whether attitude, not being a team player, etc.

Most of us have complained about Holly one time or the other in the past, but let's give credit where it's due. She's doing a wonderful job this year. The 2-3 zone was a great move yesterday. Her substitution pattern was spot on and timeouts helpful, with a few great designed plays off said timeouts.

Everyone must admit she's done a stellar job with the freshmen. Is this the season Holly becomes a legit title-contending coach? Sure looks like she's in the conversation. Congrats!

Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: 6 people
Not saying that is what happened with Diamond, but it wouldn't be the first time a talented player became a detriment to a team, whether attitude, not being a team player, etc.

Include T'ea and you have addition by subtraction. Lots going on behind the scenes keeping Holly from fully controlling the team the last two years. Good luck to DD and good riddance Cooper.

Go Lady Vols!

They beat #2 Miss St. last year
They beat South Carolina who was Top 5 last year
They beat Notre Dame who was Top 5 last year......

So no, this wasn’t Holly’s biggest win! Just going off what the TV told you huh?????

We need to be honest, against good teams Holly seems to be able to get the Lady Vols focused and ready, in the past her issue was getting her team to play up to their capability against cupcakes or teams they had the talent to beat. They would play lights out against South Carolina and ND but lose to LSU, Alabama or a Penn State. We need to look forward and see if, for whatever reason, Holly can keep this group playing at a high level. GIVE HER A CHANCE!!!!!!

VN Store

Back