Finishing in top 25

Orange And Garnet

I know it depends on how other teams finish also, but what do you think it would take for the Vols to finish in top 25 of final poll? Would a 6-6 season and win in a bowl finishing 7-6 be enough? I don't think so. I think 7-5 season and a win in a bowl to be 8-5 would be enough. If we upset somebody and finish 8-4 we could be ranked before the bowl. Well actually that would be very likely. Finish 8-4 and lose the bowl to be 8-5 I still think we may finish in top 25. I was just thinking about it and wanted to see what volnation thought.

Reactions: 1 person
I know it depends on how other teams finish also, but what do you think it would take for the Vols to finish in top 25 of final poll? Would a 6-6 season and win in a bowl finishing 7-6 be enough? I don't think so. I think 7-5 season and a win in a bowl to be 8-5 would be enough. If we upset somebody and finish 8-4 we could be ranked before the bowl. Well actually that would be very likely. Finish 8-4 and lose the bowl to be 8-5 I still think we may finish in top 25. I was just thinking about it and wanted to see what volnation thought.

Anything short of winning out will not give is a ranking

Disagree. At 8-4 we will have beaten at least two, if not three ranked teams and should be ranked at that point.

7-5 would be a reach...but if we win the bowl and go 8-5 ...maybe.

6-6...forget it, we won't be ranked.

5 losses = no ranking.

Our best bet to be ranked is to finish the season at 8-4.

Another question. If we beat Bama this week do we jump all the way in the poll? Beating Bama is a stretch but after beating two straight ranked teams including the Tide has to do something

Only one 8-5 team ended the year ranked last year and that was Michigan. Nine wins we are ranked, 8 most likely not, 7 or less means zero chance.

Kiffin's year, it was thought we would be ranked if we won the bowl. In that case, we would have been 8-5. I think 8-5 this year might get us there. But 7-6? No chance, forget it.

Reactions: 1 person
If we lose to bama, then come back and beat mizz, and auburn we would def be ranked in top 25

8 wins should get us in the top #25 OR if we don't finish in the top #25 in the regular season, then with a bowl victory, we could sneak in to the top #25 of the season's final top #25 poll in January..

5 losses didn't stop 2012 USC. And our schedule is miles harder than theirs was.

But they started the year at #1. We started this year past #50. USC was still getting some unwarranted love late last year.

Being ranked is nice, but not really that important. Can anyone (without looking) name the teams ranked 21-25 at the end of last season?

It doesn't take long for the bottom to fall out from under you but it sure takes a alot of energy and success to dig oneself from the abyss. If we were to win out it means we have beaten a number of really good teams and should be in top twenty but a bowl game alone certainly won't get us there.

If we're 8-5 at the end of the year, I think we'll be ranked. Either that or the pollsters are complete morons (often the case).

Think about it; if we go 8-5, that means that we beat South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and probably either Missouri or Auburn. It also means that we made a mid-tier bowl game and probably beat a Big 10, Big 12, or ACC team.

Our losses would be to #1 Alabama, #2 Oregon, Florida, Georgia, and either Mizzou (#5 right now) or Auburn (#11 right now).

Frankly, we'd probably have a more impressive resume at 8-5 than many ACC or Big 12 teams at 9-4 or even 10-3. Especially if you consider that two of our losses came to the two of the best teams in the nation.

I'm not saying it's inevitable, because as I've said numerous times, pollsters are terrible at factoring in strength of schedule into rankings. But we definitely have a top 5 schedule.

Of course, I'm curious as to what happens if we beat Alabama (a long-shot, but possible), but lose to Auburn and Mizzou.

Not so fast my friend. If they play close to Bama, Mizzu, then beat Auburn and handle Vandy and UK, even 7-5 is possible to sneak in. It depends on other schools, but definitely 8 wins.

Get real Vol fans! I doubt 8-5 will get the Vols ranked. (no chance in hell of that happening) The Vols get no respect on a national level nor do they deserve much. Give it 2 or 3 more years & yeah, the Vols will be a top 25 team again , but that's about all. Things have changed since the 90's. You may not like it (I don't) but it's the way it is. Just stomp the Gators every year & I'll die happy!

Get real Vol fans! I doubt 8-5 will get the Vols ranked. (no chance in hell of that happening) The Vols get no respect on a national level nor do they deserve much. Give it 2 or 3 more years & yeah, the Vols will be a top 25 team again , but that's about all. Things have changed since the 90's. You may not like it (I don't) but it's the way it is. Just stomp the Gators every year & I'll die happy!

It's really not that hard to be ranked. See: Last year when we were ranked for all of one week for a storyline.

Doesn't make the ranking worth much, but it's not that hard.

But they started the year at #1. We started this year past #50. USC was still getting some unwarranted love late last year.

Being ranked is nice, but not really that important. Can anyone (without looking) name the teams ranked 21-25 at the end of last season?

It's pretty important......

VN Store

Back