Favorite American Cities

Agree about Highline... from Logan Pass, where the trail is only 2-3 feet wide and drops off several hundred feet we met a mountain goat coming towards us... no room for both parties on the trail, so the goat approached us and then went over the side and came back up just past us. Amazing ability to climb on nubs of rocks.

The most unusual activity that I have seen from mountain goats is a tendency to lap up car antifreeze at the Logan Pass parking lot. According to Hungry Horse News columnist Chris Peterson, however, this is commonplace:

“[A]t Logan Pass, the goats increasingly have been getting their salt from a completely unnatural source - human sweat, urine and car antifreeze. This summer [2015] the Park estimates that about 1,300 people a day hike the Hidden Lake Trail and at least some of those people have to pee in the bushes. Human urine is high in salt. The salt, in turn, attracts the goats.

[University of Montana biologist and researcher Wesley Sarmento] tracked the goats and found they were keying in on Logan Pass urine and sweat. The Logan Pass goats traveled more than goats going to mineral licks. A goat going to a mineral lick might stay there a few days or weeks, enough to replenish its body's need for salt. But a goat at Logan Pass is moving more, visiting multiple spots of urine or sweat to fulfill its salt needs, preliminary results from his study have found. . . . [G]oats at the Hidden Lake Trail [have even been observed to] lay down in the trail itself and lick salt off the boardwalk, despite the Park's best efforts” (Urine, sweat and antifreeze: The story of Logan Pass goats - Hungry Horse News: Hungry Horse News).

Staying on the Glacier topic... some photos.

Lake MacDonald (a couple winters ago it was bitter cold here and the lake froze)... By the way the lake is ~10 miles long, mile or so wide and depth of ~420 feet.
McDonaldLodge3000_zpsf9ff811b.jpg

LakeMcDonaldSunset_Pano1-18_1-2_2000-1_zpsa6305420.jpg

Trout Lake trail... google this as... Night of the Grizzly's. Same night in different locations, campers lost their lives to the bears. Trout Lake trail gives me chills, and I only hiked a little part.
TroutLakeTrail_opt3_zps63c9be9b.jpg

Lake is super clear... another trout (that I caught Joe),
8-30-13_laker_zps544ce336.jpg

Looks amazing!! We gotta make it up there!!

VN Store

Back