Fan Behavior

utchs81

A very good friend of mine attended the game Saturday in his role as a sportscaster for ETSU sports. He relayed to me, knowing of my ties and love for UT, how appalled he was at the behavior of several of the fans behind the ETSU bench and visitors sections. He stated that objects were thrown onto the field at players coaches and verbal assaults were hurled against fans of ETSU even including small children. My concern is that while I expect that sort of behavior from Florida or Bama fans, I would never want to be lumped into that group. I have witnessed this type of behavior from some of our fans in the past but usually someone with pride in our school and fanbase steps up and stops or at least mitigates the abhorrent behavior. There is absolutely no acceptable reason for this type of behavior at any time much less when we are playing a lesser talented and reborn program early in it's infancy.

A very good friend of mine attended the game Saturday in his role as a sportscaster for ETSU sports. He relayed to me, knowing of my ties and love for UT, how appalled he was at the behavior of several of the fans behind the ETSU bench and visitors sections. He stated that objects were thrown onto the field at players coaches and verbal assaults were hurled against fans of ETSU even including small children. My concern is that while I expect that sort of behavior from Florida or Bama fans, I would never want to be lumped into that group. I have witnessed this type of behavior from some of our fans in the past but usually someone with pride in our school and fanbase steps up and stops or at least mitigates the abhorrent behavior. There is absolutely no acceptable reason for this type of behavior at any time much less when we are playing a lesser talented and reborn program early in it's infancy.
It wasn’t around the visitors section, it was the UT student section. Bad day to hand out the fans because they used them like makeshift frisbees. We deserved a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct but they were far from dangerous, just a nuisance.

If our students are boorish buffoons, this is troubling. Everywhere I have visited to see the Vols play, locals remark upon the good nature, generosity, and genial spirit of Big Orange fans. Almost without exception, fans of OOC teams visiting Knoxville remark upon our hospitality (and how loud we are in Neyland). The loss of this reputation would be devastating. Please, when you see errant behavior in Vols fans, step up. Interject to defuse, be the example to follow.

You can't fix stupid,

The actions of some "fans" was very disturbing.

Tennessee is not about having morons show up to tarnish our good name. If any person attends any Tennessee game and acts like those on Saturday, they are not UT fans. They pretend to be, but no one with any love for our beloved Vols would act like they acted.

Randy Sanders is a VFL. He deserves our respect, and his team deserves it. I strongly endorse banning anyone for life for throwing anything onto the field, and I hope the University will apologize to Coach Sanders; his team; and their university.

Anyone who does not have the character and integrity to act respectable to others at sporting events (or anything else) at UT, should find another place to spend Saturdays, and all other days.

Tennessee is about winning, but we should never accept the pathetic behavior displayed by some warped people last Saturday.

Every fanbase has its segment. Tennessee is no exception. Hardly defines the overwhelming majority of the fanbase.
Certainly can't disagree with that but it is that very vocal minority that tarnishes all of our fandom. The same can be said for the Florida and Bama fanbase as well. I just ask that we all step up to stop or defuse this type of behavior moving forward.

EVERY fan base has it "Hulligan" types including UT. Whether its power drinkers, Internet trolls, or just punks who like to cause trouble at games, it is a fact of life in nearly all walks of life!

Best Not to give them the thing they want most....Attention!! JMO

I had purchased tickets in section D, row 8 very close to the student section and it was the fans that kept getting tossed on the field. Most times it was happening after we scored or made a big play. And many times when there was a break in the game. But nevertheless, it was irritating to me to see it continue even with the announcers telling the students that it would lead to a TN penalty. Eventually they ran out of fans. What I did not want to see was a player slipping, falling, and getting injured on a fan (because there were some plays continuing with the fans on the field).

I keep season tickets on the visitor side. Yes, the fans that were being thrown on the field was rude as hell. However, fans being rude to visitors, had to be the exception, not the rule. I was surrounded by ETSU fans, we all had a great time, didn't have that experience...and I sit behind the bench of the visiting team; that's in NO way saying it didn't happen, just that it wasn't wide spread.

I just ask that we all step up to stop or defuse this type of behavior moving forward.

I'm all about informing security about folks manifesting such behavior, but I don't go to ball games to personally confront drunks - You Tube is full of examples of what a bad idea that is. I leave that to those who get paid to do it.

I am a Tennessee fan and donor but also pull for ETSU when they are not playing Tennessee because I am from Johnson City. This information is new to me never see none of this stuff go on and why...it’s ETSU. Yes students showed their immaturity but nothing I seen was towards ETSU. Who knows maybe a few drunk kids and an ETSU fan with soft skin took it the wrong way.

Reactions: LordBolton
Hate hearing these incidents but sadly it happens at pretty much every major school. Alcohol doesn't help but hopefully we can keep it reasonable and not to the point where UT starts getting a bad rep for fans behaviors.

Great thread OP, it happens at every stadium for every team. Any fan or team that says otherwise is lying or naive. I have seen some pretty crappy behavior at UGA, UA, LSU, and Auburn not to mention experiencing it. I was in the UGA student section when a bunch of UGA fans made a New Mexico State fan leave the game. It happens everywhere.

Think of how much better this will all be when booze is allowed in the stadium. A positive spin might be that hard liquor consumption goes down in favor of equine micturant, but I'm skeptical of that! Bombs away!

From what I could see in section N, most of the Fans where being thrown from in Sections G-J
in the corner of the endzone, is that where the student section is now??

I've mostly stopped attending UT games for this reason. In addition to Neyland, I've seen them play at Mizzou, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Arkansas over the last decade or so, and I find the environments to be far more similar than different: I came the closest I've gotten to a fist fight in 30 years at Mizzou. If you put that many people in one place with that amount of drinking under today's standards of behavior, you shouldn't be surprised by the results.

I'm not asking anyone to change anything. It's a free country. So, I freely choose not to attend.

VN Store

Back