Fallout 4, Don't call it a come back!

Who else is immersing themselves in another Fallout 4 playthrough thanks to the show?

Me!! I wasnt a huge fan of the game(More of a Fallout 3 and New Vegas fan),but with the free update and improvements( plus the show which is great. I haven't finished it!),I'd give it another shot and am enjoying it so far.

I have avoided the update myself as I am playing with like 60 plus mods on pc, and it would break them. Also there's really no real improvement on PC. It's more for newer consoles.

Mainly I have alot of graphics and weapons mods. So like I have the FAL, UMP, Service Rifle (aka AR15/M16), Uzi, a 9mm 911 clone orSig P220 maybe, Calibres mod for better ammo crafting, Thompson SMg replacer, see through scopes (no tunnel scope vision), better location damage, more realistic ballistics (this actually does make the game much deadlier bullets hurt more, no more getting sprayed and walking it off) and lots quality of life stuff for settlements (no real height limitations and settlements have 30 times more possible objects) More stuff you can build, a hunting mod that allows you a better way to get food and leather more realistically.......all stuff that the PC handles without the need of an update. I also am running the Nora lives mod....which makes it a very different story, once you find her she's a fully voiced companion and you can hunt for shaun with her....lore friendly, and no weird stuff like some companion mods. I think that last one is available for consoles as well.

This is like my 100th playthrough I maybe finished main story once though.....spent mroe time modding then playing.

My honest opinion if you have pc version avoid update and enjoy the mods.

Meeeee. Just fired it up yesterday. I never completed it the first time through, but the show gave me the itch to get back in this world. So here I am.

Reactions: tbh and Pennheel
Meeeee. Just fired it up yesterday. I never completed it the first time through, but the show gave me the itch to get back in this world. So here I am.
Not many have completed it, because as the ghoul said law of the wasteland you will get sidetracked every time you start to do something.

80% of my Fallout hours have been modding and testing mods.....I have completed main story line to find son....but I have just scratched the surface of what all is in the game now.

Mainly the settlements are huge time sinks.......and I can't NOT build defensable safe settlements, and end up more civil engineer then adventurer.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
I jumped back in with the update. Playing Survival mode on PC.

It makes the game world feel so much more alive. Resources become so much more valuable because you need to eat, drink, and sleep regularly. You can also get illnesses which you have to cure using antibiotics, which are expensive or crafted using fairly rare materials. You can only save when you sleep, so you often so fairly long stretches between saves, which amps up the tension significantly.

Also, NO fast travel. It makes you appreciate the world design more because you're constantly traversing on foot and learning new things about the map.

Reactions: Pennheel
I jumped back in with the update. Playing Survival mode on PC.

It makes the game world feel so much more alive. Resources become so much more valuable because you need to eat, drink, and sleep regularly. You can also get illnesses which you have to cure using antibiotics, which are expensive or crafted using fairly rare materials. You can only save when you sleep, so you often so fairly long stretches between saves, which amps up the tension significantly.

Also, NO fast travel. It makes you appreciate the world design more because you're constantly traversing on foot and learning new things about the map.

Doing no fast travel would be a fun idea to challenge yourself and check out the sandbox. There's a lot of random things happening in the wasteland. Although I didn't like the main story of 4, I loved the gameplay,and this update freshens things up a bit.

Reactions: Aesius
Doing no fast travel would be a fun idea to challenge yourself and check out the sandbox. There's a lot of random things happening in the wasteland. Although I didn't like the main story of 4, I loved the gameplay,and this update freshens things up a bit.
Yeah, even if you don't do survival, I would recommend simply not fast traveling. It really changes the game in a good way. Bethesda created an amazing world, and fast traveling causes you to miss so much of it.

If you do mods for quality of life on a rather broken settlement system I really recommend these:

Transfer Settlements, Settlement Menu Manager, Settlement Height 9000, Increase Build Limit Enhancer 4k, Homemaker, Scrap Everything

Transfer settlements more then any other is a game changer...but several of these other ones are kinda required for it to meet full potential. In a nut shell any settlement can be turned into a blueprint, or built from a blueprint. Given that settlements are your biggest time sink, being able to record one the way you like it and just instantly rebuild on another play through means more time playing actual adventure and questing and less time clicking blocks. It also goes to some extra effort to be mor elore friendly including sound and special effects and a "fallout" tech to explain why you can do this. It didn't have to even do this but it does.

Scrap Everything means just that everything within your borders is scrapable including foundations buildings etc.....you can truly get anything and those annoying bushes out of your foundations.

The height thing is overkill.....I doubt anyone going to 9000 high unless youw ant to halo jump almost. However many settlements have anoyingly low build heights like Sanctuary....or tease with you with interstate overpasses but once you get there you can't build higher....this fixes that.

Build limit thing is obvious settlements were severely limited in number of objects because console limitations, and my guess even teh next get update still limits them. Your on a PC though and such silly limitations make no sense when you have terabytes of storage just for the console plebians. there's several mods that fix this, but the IBLE 4k one I used seems cleaner, and let's you choose at each workstation just how much you want to extend it...you can double it or x30 it..or choose to simply leave it alone.

Homemaker includes a lot of new objects that are present in the world and DLC but currently you couldn't build and now you can. Tripling your choices easily. The menu stuff is required for teh build menu to look right after installing.

Oh and if your lazy you can download compatible blueprints for every settlement, some even done by ex bethesda FO4 devs, personally I want to build my own and still explore that part of the game. But I don't want to have to redo it every playthrough.

VN Store

Back