Fair Catch?!

I’ve seen it called a few times this year now. Last week someone called a fair catch, and his teammate caught it instead, ball dead where it was caught. Probably something refs have been told to focus on

Reactions: vol94
Only if the person that calls the fair catch catches it. Dee called it, Cam caught it. Balls dead where Cam catches it

Reactions: FlVols
OK. Let's say it was a fair catch (which it wasn't), don't we still get the ball on the 25 yard line regardless if it is in the end zone? Or is that the NFL?
No, because the player who fielded the kickoff ran with the ball.

Since when did that become a fair catch signal?
I’m explaining the rule. I’m not going to argue but the reviewed the call and replay showed the player signaled for fair catch. It gave us poor field position but TN coached and played like 💩 the entire 2nd half. It is what it is

Reactions: VOLATNES
If so then show me the fair catch signal that was made. Check the rule first
As I stated, I’m not going to argue. They called it and then reviewed. It pinned us back w horrible field position, but we had opportunities beyond that possession in the 2nd half.

Reactions: HalfullVol
The refs clearly didn't know the rules, and that should just get you fired. That's inexcusable under any circumstances. What Dee did was not calling for fair catch at all.
Your first statement is evidenced by the fact that the ball was placed on the 4. I know of no scenario in CFB that places that ball on the 4 outside of our guy fielding it and going down at the 4.

2 hands below the waist is not a fair catch signal. There's not much to argue
Ok, I respect your opinion. To be honest, I didn’t see the replay. I was explaining that the call was correct in regards to the rule. Plus, the commentators stated they reviewed. Again, I didn’t see it.

I’m still frustrated about the loss as we had the game and gave it away. Bama made adjustments and TN didn’t. And to be honest, I don’t think the crowd impacted our offense. There was a lot of Orange in Tuscaloosa today so I feel bad for those who spent $300-$500 for a ticket plus expenses.

Tennessee wasn't called for an illegal fair catch. They just marked it down with no return.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021-192814.png
    Screenshot_20231021-192814.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 75

VN Store

Back