Expectations

Make the tourney, top 6 seed, win 12 games in the SEC.

Those are fair, but still good, expectations.

why shouldn't I have the same expectations as the players? You guys think they are fine with a good regular season and a one and done? Sweet 16 or bust. If its too much pressure, sit down and let someone else play.
It's not like that every year as things work in cycles. It is that way this year.

why shouldn't I have the same expectations as the players? You guys think they are fine with a good regular season and a one and done? Sweet 16 or bust. If its too much pressure, sit down and let someone else play.
It's not like that every year as things work in cycles. It is that way this year.

This is my exact thinking.

This is my exact thinking.

Don't you think most of our players expectations/goals are championship and not sweet 16?

Sure. I'm saying a first round loss is highly unacceptable to them, yet some here are ok with it. That's fine. I'm not good with it this year though.

And I would guess if you asked McRae if he's ok with a sweet 16 loss, he'd say no, but you were saying sweet 16 weren't you?

And I would guess if you asked McRae if he's ok with a sweet 16 loss, he'd say no, but you were saying sweet 16 weren't you?

Semantic battle? Yes, I think sweet 16 is a good goal. Does McRae expect to get farther? I hope so.
Point is, being happy with a 25-8 record and a first round ncaa tourney loss is weak, imo. I wouldn't be pleased in the least. That should be an almost an off year, not a peak.

Semantic battle? Yes, I think sweet 16 is a good goal. Does McRae expect to get farther? I hope so.
Point is, being happy with a 25-8 record and a first round ncaa tourney loss is weak, imo. I wouldn't be pleased in the least. That should be an almost an off year, not a peak.

I just think at this point setting NCAA result as a bar for whether the season was a failure or not isn't the right measurement, that's all.

I would be happier with us going 27-4, being ranked top 10, winning the SECT, getting a 2 seed and going 1-1 in NCAAT than I would going 21-10, no show in the SECT, 12 seed in the dance, and make the sweet 16.

To me scenario 1 shows a lot more promise and the future looks a lot brighter than scenario 2. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
I just think at this point setting NCAA result as a bar for whether the season was a failure or not isn't the right measurement, that's all.

I would be happier with us going 27-4, being ranked top 10, winning the SECT, getting a 2 seed and going 1-1 in NCAAT than I would going 21-10, no show in the SECT, 12 seed in the dance, and make the sweet 16.

To me scenario 1 shows a lot more promise and the future looks a lot brighter than scenario 2. Maybe that's just me.

Agree with this. The tourney can be highly flukey.

well, you pretty much go to 2 different extremes. I like a March Madness run and you'd think you performed well in the conf tourney and are peaking if you make that run.
Either way, I get your point. My point is still that anything less than sweet 16 is disappointing. Of course if we only lose 4 games and win the first SEC tourney in our basketball history it will not be a disappointing season.

well, you pretty much go to 2 different extremes. I like a March Madness run and you'd think you performed well in the conf tourney and are peaking if you make that run.
Either way, I get your point. My point is still that anything less than sweet 16 is disappointing. Of course if we only lose 4 games and win the first SEC tourney in our basketball history it will not be a disappointing season.

NCAA is about matchups. That 2007 team was better than the 2010 team but got a really sucky draw. The 2010 probably loses to G'Town but they chocked and UT got a great matchup.

Win our first sec tourney in our basketball history?

Win our first sec tourney in our basketball history?

I really don't know if we have won or not and didn't feel like googling. Didn't follow UT basketball until '88. Grew up in Memphis and only watched them. Was a ballboy and dad had season tix as a teen so I was all in.
I didn't figure the Sec tourney had been around that long and don't remember us winning one in the last 25 years.
Its all the same fellas. Expectations are high and should be. My guess is we will be in agreement on the success or lack thereof at the end of the year, unless people thought last year was acceptable.

I think if we lost in the round of 64, people would be disappointed, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily unacceptable. As I say, you can't really expect anything in the tournament except uncertainty.

I really don't know if we have won or not and didn't feel like googling. Didn't follow UT basketball until '88. Grew up in Memphis and only watched them. Was a ballboy and dad had season tix as a teen so I was all in.
I didn't figure the Sec tourney had been around that long and don't remember us winning one in the last 25 years.
Its all the same fellas. Expectations are high and should be. My guess is we will be in agreement on the success or lack thereof at the end of the year, unless people thought last year was acceptable.

We've won 4 sec tournaments. And the sec tourney has been around for along, long, long time

Don't you think most of our players expectations/goals are championship and not sweet 16?

We actually discussed this in the prediction thread. I guess poor wording on my part in this thread, his first line is my exact thinking. Lol

Edit: not poor wording I guess, but should have clarified.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back