Expectations for Tennessee-Delusions of Grandeur?

A fighting chance. Y'know, where we're at LEAST playing checkers to our opponent's chess, instead of playing pinochle (peeknuckle).

What are your ultimate expectations for Tennessee Football. What other P5 program is most comparable team to Tennessee (last 10 yrs aside)?
This is not so much who/what the TN football program is at this moment, but
what can it be. This thread came to mind while listening to Football
Saturday Podcast from this previous Sunday. Coach Mathews went into detail
on that "state of the SEC" and what each program's expectations should be.
Looking at history of SEC Championship. Starting in 1992, the first 5 games
were FL vs. Bama. With Florida winning 4 of 5. As you can see below Florida
and Bama have basically doubled the rest of the league in # of appearances.
Then there are the next tier of teams (AU, GA, TN, LSU). Then your 1 to 3s,
then your none-at-alls. So looking at this historically, to me it is
unrealistic to expect TN to appear in the SEC title game any more than once
per every four to five years. Agreed? When I look at other conferences, I
think TN should be similar to a team like Wisconsin in the B1G or UCLA in
the PAC 12. Agreed?

How about Tennessee makes their own name playing Tennessee football and we will let the rest iron out. Basically don't worry about them worry about being the best us we can be.

“I’d argue no other football program in the nation has the history of greatness, expectation, and success as our University”........???

Easy big fella. There are plenty that exceed ours. That said, we can still stake claim to being a top 12-15 college football program all time and it’s beyond time to get back to acting and producing like one. We should have high expectations and demand it from our administration, coaching staff and players as well.

If you’re looking at wins and winning percentage all time, 12 seems right. But history, tradition, and expectation are subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Somewhat immeasurable. But none higher (maybe just as or close) than UT. That’s why I said I’d argue and realize it’s just an opinion. But I’d argue

The last decade has been the worst in program history, so it’s difficult to include it in the equation imo. Fact is, from 1992-2007, 16 seasons, we went to the SECCG 5 times, or about once every 3 years....so that’s a little closer to what we should expect imo, especially since there are still really just 3 prominent programs in the East, UT, Florida and Georgia. And my thinking is, why not, after 10 straight years of crap football, expect to exceed the norm for awhile? Why not expect, say beginning in 2019 or 2020, that we go to the SECCG every other year for awhile or God forbid 2-3 years in a row.....God knows we’re due.

I agree dude, with all of it. Just this subject actually gives me a headache thinking about what could've, should've, can, was, is.....anyway, have a like.

Reactions: 1 person
Win the SEC East at least once every three years.

Win the SEC Championship once every 5 years.

Be relevant in the national conversation, playoffs every 5-10 years.

National championship every 10-15.

Take out the Haslam's, and UT wouldn't have the facilities they have now!

Completely disagree. If Tennessee had competent leadership, we would have easily had these elite facilities without the Haslams. Why? Say in 2009, instead of hiring a loser like Kiffin, UT hired a stud coach. And then we started winning at a high rate like we used to? Money would have rolled in and so would other donors. You win, money flows.

The Haslams are one of the main reasons we have been irrelevant for the past 10 years.

Reactions: 3 people
Today’s football landscape is drastically different than it’s ever been.

Considering proximity to big markets, in state talent, and revenue their is NO reason UT shouldn’t be sitting on top or competing for a title EVERY DAMN YEAR.

High expectations for high potential.

The roster is a mess imo

Winning anything more than 6 games would be a job well done from my current perspective.

Times have changed and my expectations have changed for UT football. I don't think we will ever be a consistent Top ten team anymore, but i certaintly don't think we should be 4-8 and 5-7 and losing to the Vandy's and Kentucky's of the world anymore either. We haven't won a SEC title in 20 years or made it to the SEC title game in 11. Butch undoubtedly blew that chance in 15 and '16. Since 2007 we have only beaten UGA,UF and Bama a combined 5 times and lost to Vandy 4 times. Sadly i dont think we will ever see a run like we had in the 90's again at UT the game has changed alot since then. I think realistically we are a 8 win to 9 win team at the very best 10 win team. We should never rountinely lose to Vandy,Mizzou and Kentucky like we have in the past 5 years though. Georgia and Bama and Florida and LSu and Auburn will be ahead of us now and i we think we need to accept that. UT and Arkansas are very similar in where they rank in the SEC right in the middle of the pack.

Last edited:
What are your ultimate expectations for Tennessee Football. What other P5 program is most comparable team to Tennessee (last 10 yrs aside)?
This is not so much who/what the TN football program is at this moment, but
what can it be. This thread came to mind while listening to Football
Saturday Podcast from this previous Sunday. Coach Mathews went into detail
on that "state of the SEC" and what each program's expectations should be.
Looking at history of SEC Championship. Starting in 1992, the first 5 games
were FL vs. Bama. With Florida winning 4 of 5. As you can see below Florida
and Bama have basically doubled the rest of the league in # of appearances.
Then there are the next tier of teams (AU, GA, TN, LSU). Then your 1 to 3s,
then your none-at-alls. So looking at this historically, to me it is
unrealistic to expect TN to appear in the SEC title game any more than once
per every four to five years. Agreed? When I look at other conferences, I
think TN should be similar to a team like Wisconsin in the B1G or UCLA in
the PAC 12. Agreed?
FL - 12
Bama - 11
AU - 6
GA - 6
TN - 5
LSU - 5
Ark - 3
MO - 2
SC - 1
Miss State - 1
Vandy - 0
Ole Miss - 0
TAMU - 0
KY - 0

National championship Go Vols!
😉

Times have changed and my expectations have changed for UT football. I don't think we will ever be a consistent Top ten team anymore, but i certaintly don't think we should be 4-8 and 5-7 and losing to the Vandy's and Kentucky's of the world anymore either. We haven't won a SEC title in 20 years or made it to the SEC title game in 11. Butch undoubtedly blew that chance in 15 and '16. Since 2007 we have only beaten UGA,UF and Bama a combined 5 times and lost to Vandy 4 times. Sadly i dont think we will ever see a run like we had in the 90's again at UT the game has changed alot since then. I think realistically we are a 8 win to 9 win team at the very best 10 win team. We should never rountinely lose to Vandy,Mizzou and Kentucky like we have in the past 5 years though. Georgia and Bama and Florida and LSu and Auburn will be ahead of us now and i we think we need to accept that. UT and Arkansas are very similar in where they rank in the SEC right in the middle of the pack.

Reminds me of a certain program circa 2007. The ONLY thing that ultimately determines your destiny in sports are your head coaching hires. And the difference a good one can make is astounding. Let’s see what our program is like when it isn’t coached by BUMS before reading UT’s eulogy, aight?

Take out the Haslams and we would have been in much better shape.

but if they stopped with the donations who would be whining for better facilities? a happy medium is seldom reached unfortunately when it comes to accepting money from people...they have an advantage

The last decade has been the worst in program history, so it’s difficult to include it in the equation imo. Fact is, from 1992-2007, 16 seasons, we went to the SECCG 5 times, or about once every 3 years....so that’s a little closer to what we should expect imo, especially since there are still really just 3 prominent programs in the East, UT, Florida and Georgia. And my thinking is, why not, after 10 straight years of crap football, expect to exceed the norm for awhile? Why not expect, say beginning in 2019 or 2020, that we go to the SECCG every other year for awhile or God forbid 2-3 years in a row.....God knows we’re due.

With the luck we have had vs our rivals in the last decade, I think he is a UGA or Bama fan. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
In the "modern era" (which is very much open to debate what defines modern era) we win the SEC about every 6 years and the NC every 25 years or so.

Taking into consideration that some of those SEC titles were: shared; had better teams on probation; and were in less competitive times I think an SEC title would be realistic every 8-10 years.

With the new playoff era in CFB, who knows? We may win more than expected the next 50 years or we may never win another.

Hopefully we'll someday stumble into an historical aberration like Nick Saban and have a period of unusual dominance. I hope I'm alive to see it

The Dish guy Ergen is worth more than Haslam. Plus Thornton and numerous others. We would have elite facilities with or without Haslam. Don't ever see money donations ever being an issue.

Wasn't UT losing a lot of donations around the Hart era? Currie and Hart were both brought in to RAISE donations? Right? Or am I wrong?

Completely disagree. If Tennessee had competent leadership, we would have easily had these elite facilities without the Haslams. Why? Say in 2009, instead of hiring a loser like Kiffin, UT hired a stud coach. And then we started winning at a high rate like we used to? Money would have rolled in and so would other donors. You win, money flows.

The Haslams are one of the main reasons we have been irrelevant for the past 10 years.

Sorry, but totally disagree. Kiffin wasn't a loser (many wanted him back and cried like 2 yr olds when he left).
I'm not a huge fan of the Haslam's, but to think UT would be where it is (facility wise)without them is a big stretch.

To much influence, yes, but UT needs that $$$$$$! It has to be somebody's fault, but not squarely on them.

Reactions: 2 people
There's simply no reason on paper that Tennessee can't be as good as anybody if the right leadership is in place.

That said, I don't really care about the numbers. They will take care of themselves. I just want a team that is respected and feared. There was a time when, no matter what UT was ranked, that other teams knew going into Neyland was going to be a task. ANY team knew they were going to have a real battle and get all they wanted. We haven't had that in a long time.

Reminds me of a certain program circa 2007. The ONLY thing that ultimately determines your destiny in sports are your head coaching hires. And the difference a good one can make is astounding. Let’s see what our program is like when it isn’t coached by BUMS before reading UT’s eulogy, aight?

While I agree with your overall point (the coach is everything), Alabama in 2007 is not where Tennessee is now.

Not even close really

Bama - 11
AU - 6
GA - 6
TN - 5
LSU - 5
Ark - 3
MO - 2
SC - 1
Miss State - 1
Vandy - 0
Ole Miss - 0
TAMU - 0
KY - 0

10 of the 12 appearances for Florida were under Spurrier/Meyers. The Two under McElwain were when the East was at historical lows.

Half of the Alabama appearances have been under Saban. Half of those remaining were under Stallings.

All five of Tennessee's were under Fulmer, who despite some opinions around here, happens to be in the College Football HOF.

Do you see the theme? Hire a hire a great coach and you make the championship games!

We win at life, we win at football, we cast Saban and his legions back into the fiery pit, we make smart look dumb, we beat Franklin in a bowl game, Florida sux, that is all.

While I agree with your overall point (the coach is everything), Alabama in 2007 is not where Tennessee is now.

Not even close really

Agreed. Shula left behind some talent but refused to make staff changes.You don't get yr 2 rolling like he did without already having talent from the previous staff. It just took Saban a yr to change the culture and get rid of the ones who weren't buying in.

Agreed. Shula left behind some talent but refused to make staff changes.You don't get yr 2 rolling like he did without already having talent from the previous staff. It just took Saban a yr to change the culture and get rid of the ones who weren't buying in.

Well, it's not just that.

I'm not going to give all of the numbers that you all know so well, but the record vs. opponents within the SEC is way, way beyond anything Alabama suffered through.

I consider the post Tebow performance at Florida to be dreadful and it's not close to what Tennessee has experienced either.

Post Fulmer, Tennessee has a winning record against Vandy and Ky and that's it (in conference). And the record against Vandy is 5-4.

Alabama didn't go through something like that.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back