expectations for Nico

Nico was sacked 6 times against Iowa...
I was thinking that. I expect to see similar things throughout the season. That's something that comes with experience. He has to know if it ain't there take off or throw it away. That internal clock will speed up once he been sacked 10-15 times

I was thinking that. I expect to see similar things throughout the season. That's something that comes with experience. He has to know if it ain't there take off or throw it away. That internal clock will speed up once he been sacked 10-15 times
His internal clock will be fine that was his very first start he is not a qb that will get sacked much he moves different… a combo of a few things led to those 6 sacks not just inexperience and if the OL is mostly healthy it will be a lot better that was a patchwork OL vs a top 10 defense… I’m sure that is one of the things heup and halzle have preached one of the few negatives from his only start that’s easy… like I said look at the type of sacks… Joe Milton was only sacked a total of 16 times and Nico has a significantly better feel for the game than Joe… i understand in the past we’ve had many players hyped just to fold but this is a different era heup is the best coach we’ve had in a long time and he been successful at every stop… this is the best Qb from a skill and potential standpoint he is about to light up score boards all year.

His internal clock will be fine that was his very first start he is not a qb that will get sacked much he moves different… a combo of a few things led to those 6 sacks not just inexperience and if the OL is mostly healthy it will be a lot better that was a patchwork OL vs a top 10 defense… I’m sure that is one of the things heup and halzle have preached one of the few negatives from his only start that’s easy… like I said look at the type of sacks… Joe Milton was only sacked a total of 16 times and Nico has a significantly better feel for the game than Joe… i understand in the past we’ve had many players hyped just to fold but this is a different era heup is the best coach we’ve had in a long time and he been successful at every stop… this is the best Qb from a skill and potential standpoint he is about to light up score boards all year.
Nico is practicing at a different speed this spring than he was all last year.
Will that translate to his game??
We’ll see, but his decision making went from A+ as a senior at Warren HS to a C+ in that Iowa game
And please…
Stop hyping up Iowa. They played a crap schedule, and their offense basically gave them no chance against us.

Back to Nico: you keep saying he moves different, but I saw a kid that only made progress when he moved. He didn’t manipulate the pocket at all. He either ran or got sacked. Thankfully he excelled at running as you mentioned.

My problem this moment is with Joey Halzle.
The natural passing rhythm Nico had as prospect has greatly diminished. I’ve been watching all the same videos everyone else has for the past 15 months and Halze talks too damn much. He’s changed Nico’s mechanics which has speed up his delivery (good thing) but he has also killed his rhythm with overload him with “coaching” and protecting the ball …which is WHY is was sacked 6 times against a team that couldn’t beat Kentucky…

Nico is stronger and faster than he was 15 months ago, but he’s not the same passer he was. Not even close.

What do you mean “and”??
Seems to me BoT was inviting you to explain what you believe your one-line comment adds to the conversation.

Okay, got it: Nico, a true freshman in his first start, was sacked six times playing one of the (statistically, at least) best defensive teams in the nation in a bowl game.

Do you see that extrapolating in any way to 2024? Nico will be a year more developed, physically and mentally in our scheme. He will mostly not be playing the best defenses in the country (though a few of them will be). Our offensive line will be more experienced and more talented. An entire off-season of practice and development will be laser-focused on Nico, who received only backup time and attention in 2023.

Can you explain why you think that data point is relevant to the conversation of the coming season?

That's what I think he meant "and". Did you not interpret it that way?

Go Vols!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Seems to me BoT was inviting you to explain what you believe your one-line comment adds to the conversation.

Okay, got it: Nico, a true freshman in his first start, was sacked six times playing one of the (statistically, at least) best defensive teams in the nation in a bowl game.

Do you see that extrapolating in any way to 2024? Nico will be a year more developed, physically and mentally in our scheme. He will mostly not be playing the best defenses in the country (though a few of them will be). Our offensive line will be more experienced and more talented. An entire off-season of practice and development will be laser-focused on Nico, who received only backup time and attention in 2023.

Can you explain why you think that data point is relevant to the conversation of the coming season?

That's what I think he meant "and". Did you not interpret it that way?

Go Vols!
I interpret BOT as being a pompous butt.

I already more than answered this rebuttal attempt of yours in the previous post- which I’m sure you’ve already seen.

Remember I WAS THE FIRST to praise Nico before he even committed to Tennessee.

I’ve seen the boy play in person since HS.
And evidently (once again) I’m the one that sees there is a problem in his development.

Obviously you don’t care to expound on that or you would have already mentioned it. And stop with the Iowa being an elite defense BS, already.

Nico is practicing at a different speed this spring than he was all last year.
Will that translate to his game??
We’ll see, but his decision making went from A+ as a senior at Warren HS to a C+ in that Iowa game
And please…
Stop hyping up Iowa. They played a crap schedule, and their offense basically gave them no chance against us.

Back to Nico: you keep saying he moves different, but I saw a kid that only made progress when he moved. He didn’t manipulate the pocket at all. He either ran or got sacked. Thankfully he excelled at running as you mentioned.

My problem this moment is with Joey Halzle.
The natural passing rhythm Nico had as prospect has greatly diminished. I’ve been watching all the same videos everyone else has for the past 15 months and Halze talks too damn much. He’s changed Nico’s mechanics which has speed up his delivery (good thing) but he has also killed his rhythm with overload him with “coaching” and protecting the ball …which is WHY is was sacked 6 times against a team that couldn’t beat Kentucky…

Nico is stronger and faster than he was 15 months ago, but he’s not the same passer he was. Not even close.
I’m not hyping Iowa the numbers do that but fair enough you got ya concerns as most vol fans do… Nico is different though we deserve this as a fanbase… I haven’t been more sure of a UT Qb in my life due to his skill set, mobility, twitch, feel for the game, and elite coaching… god forbid Iowa planned for 3 weeks vs Nico and designed a few schemes that may have confused him in his first start… he had 0 turnovers and we won by 5 tds don’t get lost in a few negatives he had when is the last time we had a freshman Qb get a dominating win in his first start vs a statistically great defense with a back up OL and missing multiple starting skill players??? Your take on Halzle is insane though given his track record lol I’m curious to revisit this with you during the season hope I’m right and you are wrong GBO lol…

I don't disagree at all I'm just stating the situation. It's not just Nico, this goes for ALL young QB's. Most of those sacks in the first start was from holding the ball too long. It happens to them all. That's not a knock at all on Nico. Milton wasn't a young QB at Tennessee so while Nico has a better feel there are still small things he has to learn. Coach Heup & Hazle can do all the coaching they want but it's something he has to learn on the job. You see it with young NFL QB's all the time. Eventually things slow down for them. It just comes as he gets more games under his belt. Don't expect him to just light it up early in the season. He has 2 off seasons and 1 start under his belt. I would say by the 4th or 5th game he'll be hitting his stride.

Reactions: BoroVol93
Chances are he'll lose one game we should win and win a game we should lose. Such is the way of first year QBs.

I don't disagree at all I'm just stating the situation. It's not just Nico, this goes for ALL young QB's. Most of those sacks in the first start was from holding the ball too long. It happens to them all. That's not a knock at all on Nico. Milton wasn't a young QB at Tennessee so while Nico has a better feel there are still small things he has to learn. Coach Heup & Hazle can do all the coaching they want but it's something he has to learn on the job. You see it with young NFL QB's all the time. Eventually things slow down for them. It just comes as he gets more games under his belt. Don't expect him to just light it up early in the season. He has 2 off seasons and 1 start under his belt. I would say by the 4th or 5th game he'll be hitting his stride.
Agreed well said… that OU game is gonna be the one…

Reactions: 901 Orange
I expect Nico's year to follow Hendon's first year here. Granted, HH had Power 5 starting experience, but was exposed to Heupel's offense for only about 3 months when the season started, Nico will have had over 18 months in the system. Hendon was ok, subbing in the Pitt game but he did throw the big pick. His start at Florida wasn't bad but things fell apart after the Callaway 4th down drop. The offense was ground oriented and the passing game sporadic with some small improvement game by game. Then the trip to Columbia where again it was the ground game but some signs of Hendon grasping the offense were evident. followed by the spectacular SCar blowout where Hendon ran and passed best all season exhibiting a firm grasp of CJH's basic offense. From that point on the offense was good and better as Hendon's knowledge of the details continued to grow, culminating with a huge bowl game and HH already becoming a Heisman candidate.

Both QB's are smart, committed to learning the O, have good feet and good instincts. Nico will have the benefit of a far superior defense and the Florida game in Knoxville. Vols will have a better record because of the D but in terms of Nico, I would expect him to be beyond good trending to terrific by game 5 or 6.
100% completion rate
108 touchdowns
Seven Rushing touchdowns on Florida
8956 yards passing

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I know some will say it was just Iowa but take a look at the Okla qb in his first start too.

He is a 5 star too and threw 4 or 5 picks. The way Nico looked in complete control is a great omen for what’s coming. JMO

VN Store

Back