Expectations for 2023 season

I see us going 8-4 next season for several reasons.
(1) The OC leaving,
(2) Milton as starter
(3) all of the talent leaving for NFL/Transfer Portal,
(4) we have a tough "away" schedule next year
(5) Willie Martinez as DB coach for another season.
Agree with all but 3. I think our D roster significantly improves via the portal, and we might pick up a stud WR, maybe 2, to go with McCoy and White. Our remaining offensive players should be very good. If Milton doesn't improve on short and intermediate passes, he'll be watching Jackson from the bench. I believe the next 4 weeks will determine Milton's future at QB. If Milton doesn't show that he's improved enough going into the bowl game,I think Heupel should talk to him about moving to TE. With his size and running ability, he could become a quality NFL TE. That's about his only shot at an NFL career if he doesn't improve dramatically at QB.

Tough to say these days with the Portal and all because we won't really know what we or other teams have until the summer. Let's just enjoy the Orange Bowl and treat Dabo to a warm glass of shut the hell up.

9-3 with significant defensive improvement and showing us that the following year will be ok QB-wise by turning Milton into a legit player or transitioning to one of the other guys and letting him show us something.

I’m hopeful and fairly confident Tennessee is done “rebuilding” with Heupel.

I know there will be better years than others. There will be years Tennessee has to find key players……..however I just don’t see a “rebuild” anymore…………or at least right now.

next year should be more challenging than this…….however I expect a solid season.

The schedule is definitely working in our favor. I don't have as much confidence in our offense with losing Hooker. I think people are going to realize how much he made this offense go and you can't just step in and it be automatic.

That being said, assuming our offense keeps some momentum and our defense takes a step forward and becomes average (or dare I dream of being above average), it should be a 9 win season or more. 8 wins would be disappointing at this point. 10 feels like the ceiling again with a good chance at being a playoff team.

Of course we are all just talking out of our butts at this point. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Hopeful Vol
To me, it's no more putting a floor or ceiling on a season the way we all did this year with the 8-4 talk. Expect the best and let the chips fall - right now 12-0 is the goal until it isn't, then it will be 11-1.

We have no real idea of what the team will look like next year, whether it will be Milton or someone else at QB, how improved Milton might be after an off season with JH, what kind of impact players we'll find in the portal, how the young players will develop and step up into key roles, and so on and so on.

Instead of putting some sort of artificial cap on the season as a defense mechanism, hope for and expect the best.

We have an excellent coach. The country has seen our fan base and players have seen our style of plan. We are about as good with the nil as anyone. Our recruiting and transfer portal are very good. Our team will be very good next year. In 2024 I would expect to be in the 12 team playoff on a regular basis and would not rule out next year. Forgive me for not expecting 7-5 or 8-4

We’ll lose 2 games we should have won because of an ineffective passing game that resides with Milton as QB. Once Heupel benches him and gets it out of his system the team can move on to compete better.

Sorry to say I believe it will be a 7-5 year. I just don't have too much faith in Milton's passing accuracy ability. Also, with Martinez as DB coach, we are still headed for major trouble in the secondary.

VN Store

Back