Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read

This is interesting. I watched the YouTube video on General Neyland this weekend and Tom Siler said that the General was not married to the single wing as many people thought. But he kept it because he thought that the greatest vulnerability of a defense was the outside line gap. It was said that he cared very little about offense and thought that victory was more likely accomplished with superior defense and the kicking game. But this conclusion about the offense was due to his intense studies of the defense. Looks like the more things change, the more they stay the same after all.

It looks like the General's perception of offense, and defense, still is true today.

Reactions: 1 person
Today I said we would talk about the differences between the zone read and the power read.

The first difference is split flow for zone vs. full flow for power read:

By full flow we mean that both of the backs (the qb and the rb in this image) are going the same way.

Attachments

• Powerread.png
    Powerread.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 143
Zone read is a split flow play. This means that the backs go in opposite directions (here the qb goes left while the RB goes right).

Attachments

• Zone Read.png
    Zone Read.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 139
There's an important reason for highlighting this difference. The reason is the use of counter plays. In previous years (until Dobbs took over last year) we did not run a lot of counter. Because our main run play was split flow by nature. Even when we ran an RPO (run pass option) the pass play was almost always opposite the side of the run (think of us throwing quick outs to Pearson last season after what looked like a zone run).

Since Dobbs took over, we have had a lot more counter action added to the offense. This is because power read is a full flow play, which causes defenses to attack and reattack to it quicker.

Notice how quickly the defense reacts.

Attachments

• Power-Read-55400e4d0523e.gif
    Power-Read-55400e4d0523e.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
Good work here, 88. Nice to see you posting something worthwhile for a change. :)

The other big difference is the offensive line. On zone, the entire offensive line moves towards the play and no one pulls.

Attachments

• Zone-Read-554013b962563.gif
    Zone-Read-554013b962563.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
Here we are running power read off jet sweep. This time the jet sweep from Pig is used in place of the running, but Dobbs is still reading the playside defensive end. You can tell this is power read because both backs are going the same way (Dobbs and Pig), and because of the offensive line.

Here the offensive line blocks away from the play (trying to seal everyone off) and the backside guard pulls (the pulling guard being the most notable part).

Attachments

• 6f0c30eacc9cee5d202333ff3d97de52.gif
    6f0c30eacc9cee5d202333ff3d97de52.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 159
The guy they are doubling (the 3 technique) is normally the other teams best linemen. I drew it up as a double, but the tackle will actually combo to the MLB. So he will help with the 3, but have his eyes on the lb. The goal is to creat movement at the line of scrimmage and widen the hole inside the DE if the qb keeps it.

8188, I guess you've probably done it before on VN, but please explain again the "techniques" of the defensive line. I've heard coaches talk about 1 technique, 3 technique, and I think 5 and 7 technique ... but never knew what they meant. Tried googling it a couple of times, never found a good explanation.

Thanks!

p.s. That spin move Pig makes at the 10 yard line in the previous post, it's just mesmerizing. Came to and realized I'd watched it about 20 times in a row.

Last edited:
Lot of different counters you can run of this play. you can fake the power read and come back to the other side with buck sweep. also who was the guard supposed to block in that jet with pig?

I run six plays. Split veer. Just like novocaine, give it time always works.

Lot of different counters you can run of this play. you can fake the power read and come back to the other side with buck sweep. also who was the guard supposed to block in that jet with pig?

Good observation, and it's not a simple answer:
If we hand off, he won't get to his block most of the time, but his assignment is playside lb. he will almost never actually block the playside lb.

If we hand off, the playside lb will be sealed off by the TE or Rb. If we keep, the guard will be there to block the playside on. But most of the time, the playside lb will overrun the play (due to the influence of the jet sweep) and the guard wil actually block the backside lb.

What does the "power" in power read mean? Is it the line and blockers advancing forward instead of retreating like on some zone reads?

What does the "power" in power read mean? Is it the line and blockers advancing forward instead of retreating like on some zone reads?

My assumption is that it's because you have two lead blockers (guard and fullback). But I don't know that as a fact. I believe even single wing teams ran power. So the history of the play isn't easy to trace. The most famous power coah however, is Joe Gibbs.

When people talk about running power and counter, the first name that comes to mind is Joe Gibbs.

Reactions: 2 people
My assumption is that it's because you have two lead blockers (guard and fullback). But I don't know that as a fact. I believe even single wing teams ran power. So the history of the play isn't easy to trace. The most famous power coah however, is Joe Gibbs.

When people talk about running power and counter, the first name that comes to mind is Joe Gibbs.

That "Counter trey" run by the Hogs, was probably the most brutal running game in history. No flash, just pure meatgrinder...play after play after play.

really just anything, I've read James vint's pistol option book, rick tricketts on offensive line, currently reading a book on the 4-3 defense

Vol8188,

Would you diagram what we were doing during Dools tenure and CBJ's first year and if it contrasted what we are doing now.

What you have been detailing in this thread seems to work, like you said, with Dobbs.

Thanks for the education.

VN Store

Back