Everybody hates ESPN? sort of ...

This should be a thing already. And it will be if they continue to lose subscriptions.

But, I certainly don't love ESPN. I can't remember the last time I watched Sportscenter or programming on there. It has to have been at least 4 months. If it's not a game, then I don't care. There are better things to watch on TV. Besides, their network has become so political that it's annoying to turn on a sports network, my one escape from day-to-day life and have to be bombarded with opinions that have nothing to do with athletics.

My exact sentiments. Games only. Tired of the rest of their blather.

Since we are on topic I'll mention that the fox sports 1 t.v. college football kickoff just came on at the top of the hour if you want to get a feel for them. I love Dave wannstat . He is talking about the questions at salami this year right now.

Dave wannstat: " Alabama is NOT the most talented team on field this year. Tennessee and possibly LSU have done a tremendous job of recruiting."

I think my issue with "cord cutting" is that I'd still have to deal with the cable company for internet anyways. It's like $60 or somethin for internet or $100 for cable AND internet. It's worth the $40 to me to have SEC Network (now that we're getting coverage).

As far as ESPN is concerned, I can't stand the channel. All they're ever talking about is the NFL or the MLB. I think because most of the major conferences have their own networks now, they're pushing people to buy those. They literally never talk about college football.

That's really not true. They have a show called "College Football Live" and spend as much time on it as anyone else. This isn't the prevailing sentiment here but I can't imagine not having the ESPN networks. They carry the largest diversity of sporting events and I also have really enjoyed the 30 for 30 series. I don't care much for the opinion based shows but so what? They are easily avoided.

Reactions: 1 person
Dave wannstat: " Alabama is NOT the most talented team on field this year. Tennessee and possibly LSU have done a tremendous job of recruiting."

1. *Dave Wannstedt

2. That's a ridiculous statement by Coach Wannstedt. Bama may wind up not being the best team, but they're definitely the most talented. They're replacing a lot but they're freaking loaded again thanks to 4 or 5 straight #1 recruiting classes. Iirc, there's a thread in the "Around the NCAA" forum that says Bama may actually start 11 5star players on defense this year.

Aside from 30 for 30, ESPN's original programming is garbage. If it wasn't for live sports (on ESPN and elsewhere) I'd go ahead and cut the cord.

But I will give ESPN this: they have made college sports, particularly football, more accessible than ever. 10 years ago, UT only had 8 out 12 games that were nationally broadcast. During Bama's title run in 1992, 7 out of 13 games were only shown regionally or not at all. Now every single game is available, and if you aren't in front of a TV, or even in the country, you can watch every game live on your phone. For all the criticism the mothership has earned, they are the reason that we have access to every single snap.

Once they decided to honor Bruce Jenner for becoming a girl I had kind of had my fill of it. Also, any network that would give Stephen A Smith a job isn't worth watching.

Don't worry Kaepernick will get the ESPY Arthur Ashe award for courage next year.

Waded through the latter years of preachy pious big stage sanctimony...mainly out of brand loyalty from the early 90s, when ESPN was a major part of my weekends. After the Peyton Manning witch hunt with DB talking heads like Booger "demanding" that a guy sit down with them and answer baited questions concerning what had happened twenty years prior? Peyton didn't sit down and can name his job. Bully pulpit got bisch slapped.

1. *Dave Wannstedt

2. That's a ridiculous statement by Coach Wannstedt. Bama may wind up not being the best team, but they're definitely the most talented. They're replacing a lot but they're freaking loaded again thanks to 4 or 5 straight #1 recruiting classes. Iirc, there's a thread in the "Around the NCAA" forum that says Bama may actually start 11 5star players on defense this year.

1. First his name is very difficult between an iPhone and three layers of spellcheck.

2. **** stars.

Aside from 30 for 30, ESPN's original programming is garbage. If it wasn't for live sports (on ESPN and elsewhere) I'd go ahead and cut the cord.

But I will give ESPN this: they have made college sports, particularly football, more accessible than ever. 10 years ago, UT only had 8 out 12 games that were nationally broadcast. During Bama's title run in 1992, 7 out of 13 games were only shown regionally or not at all. Now every single game is available, and if you aren't in front of a TV, or even in the country, you can watch every game live on your phone. For all the criticism the mothership has earned, they are the reason that we have access to every single snap.

I find this sentiment kind of amusing. The live sports are obviously the point. It's like saying if it wasn't for the naked women, I wouldn't go to strip clubs. I think too many people let the opinion shows bother them. They are mostly just on during the weekday afternoons, anyway.

I quit watching ESPN commentary years ago. I used to turn on Gameday almost every Sat. Now MAYBE once or twice a season. Just stopped being entertaining.

I mostly roll my eyes when people get bent out of shape over something said on ESPN. Just don't give them your ears and eyeballs and you will eliminate senseless stress from your life.

Gameday is the one thing on ESPN other than actual games that I do watch. I enjoy Herbie and at least it provides a good overview of what you have to look forward to that day. Plus, it gets my so hyped up seeing all the fans and the crowd excitement.

Reactions: 3 people
1. First his name is very difficult between an iPhone and three layers of spellcheck.

2. **** stars.

Spellcheck blows on my iPhone. It literally takes legit words and turns into gobbledygook. And then wont correct "Rennessee" to Tennessee. Jeez.

Anywho, Bama is still the most talented team in the country 😬

Reactions: 2 people
I find this sentiment kind of amusing. The live sports are obviously the point. It's like saying if it wasn't for the naked women, I wouldn't go to strip clubs. I think too many people let the opinion shows bother them. They are mostly just on during the weekday afternoons, anyway.

I phrased that kinda weird. I meant cutting off my DirecTV entirely, not just ESPN. I don't watch much of anything on TV other than live sports. What I do watch I could find thru other avenues.

And you are right about the opinion shows. Some folks seem to have this masochistic desire to watch programming that inevitably makes them upset.

Actually, I think their opinions bleed over into everything they do outside of live games on ESPN. They interject them constantly into Sportscenter based on what they choose to emphasize and how they frame the topics. Then look at Outside the Lines, even the 30 for 30s.

I don't know about anybody else, but one of the primary reasons watch sports is to get away from the so much of everything else on television and in life in general where everything seems politicized....and I've come to resent ESPN for gradually evolving into as much a political network as a sports one over the last few decades. Sure wish there was an alternative, therefore, I hope their subscriptions continue to plummet.

Spellcheck blows on my iPhone. It literally takes legit words and turns into gobbledygook. And then wont correct "Rennessee" to Tennessee. Jeez.

Anywho, Bama is still the most talented team in the country 😬

You know how you negate 5 star speed? You recognize the play developing before the five star guy does.

You know how you negate 5 star size? You are deep enough to wear them out.

You can negate stars. I put little stock in them. I want the right guys on the field. It's about match ups.

ESPN is the equivalent of the Globe newspaper for sports. I was wondering how successful ESPN has been in predicting game outcomes........I am betting on toss up games, they are below 50%.

I don't think its just one single issue for all people. Personally, I find what goes on in the general media insulting on so many levels. My take is... they can do what they want and I can take my money elsewhere. And I have and many other people have, and I wouldn't be surprised by the trend continuing, if they (media) continue.

I don't need them, they need me. Just because during the game you don't get some of it... doesn't mean you I should be supporting it. imo

Once they decided to honor Bruce Jenner for becoming a girl I had kind of had my fill of it. Also, any network that would give Stephen A Smith a job isn't worth watching.

I agree! I was already sick of these guys prior to the whole Jenner thing. But THAT event was my final straw no doubt.

Its amazing how these idiots don't see this....

If Tennessee football was never on one of the ESPN channels, I would have no reason to ever watch ESPN.

Pretty much this. Their 30 for 30 documentaries are pretty good surprisingly and I still like their actual live sports, but I never watch any of their shows like Sportscenter anymore.

I remember when they tried to do TV shows and movies, that worked out well (though Playmakers was pretty good at the time). I still laugh at the terrible Pete Rose movie they did where it looked like they filmed some of the baseball scenes at a typical Little League park.

Anyone remember when they tried doing their own cell phone service? I believe Sprint ultimately bought them out.

I haven't watched an episode of Sportscenter in about 6 years. It's not sports analysis anymore, it's entertainment and agenda-driven stories for casual fans.

Yeah it is. We get more analysis than ever before....but there are half a dozen channels and some of it's going to be fluff.

VN Store

Back