ESPN put out their week 13 Bowl predictions

No way we get Outback. No way.

They traditionally have 8 win teams in at the minimum. Yeah, we travel well, we're a hot team, etc.. but Georgia (9 prob 10 wins), Ole Miss (9 or 10 wins), Auburn (8 maybe 9 wins), either TxAM or LSU (8 wins) are more attractive than at the best a 7 win Tennessee.

traditionally true, yes. A lot of TN media has been reporting however, that a 7-5 team would be huge draw for Outback Bowl and would likely be a go.

Tampa for New Years sounds nice right about now!

I'm supposed to be in Knoxville for new years so that would get me home early. Of course it's pretty chilly down here right now. Had to wear a jacket to work :)

I just want to go see a bowl game again

A rematch between NC State or UNC may be possibilities in Charlotte or Nashville (if an ACC team still plays in the Music City Bowl).

No way we get Outback. No way.

They traditionally have 8 win teams in at the minimum. Yeah, we travel well, we're a hot team, etc.. but Georgia (9 prob 10 wins), Ole Miss (9 or 10 wins), Auburn (8 maybe 9 wins), either TxAM or LSU (8 wins) are more attractive than at the best a 7 win Tennessee.

In 2011 the Outback bowl hosted a pair of 7-5 teams in Penn State and UF. A 7-5 Gamecock team played there in 2009. A 7-4 Iowa team was there in 2006. A 7-5 Vols team playing on New Year's Day in Tampa in not out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: 1 person
In 2011 the Outback bowl hosted a pair of 7-5 teams in Penn State and UF. A 7-5 Gamecock team played there in 2009. A 7-4 Iowa team was there in 2006. A 7-5 Vols team playing on New Year's Day in Tampa in not out of the realm of possibility.

Florida was 7-5 when they went to the Outback in 2003.

Florida was 7-5 when they went to the Outback in 2003.

No they weren't.

They were 8-4 and ranked #17 going into the 2003 season bowl selection.

And they were 8-4 and ranked #15 going into the 2002 season's bowl selection.

I wouldn't if I were you. Miss State would beat the brakes off of Tech.

I enjoy the fact that they're predicting them to go to the Orange Bowl once again. I had a lot of fun when they played Iowa the last Orange Bowl they went to. GT took a beating but it was nice to have played in a big Bowl game like that.

Well, not quite.

To start, the Big Ten teams would have had a different selection criteria than ours.

A 7-4 Iowa team from 2005 would be the same as an 8-4 team in the modern, 12-game era (the only thing that would have changed would have been they would have been allow to schedule a 12th game, which most likely would have been a cupcake game).

The PSU that was selected after the 2010 season, was more because of the conference's overall performance. There were 3 1-loss teams that each clinched the conference.

Two went to BCS bowls (Wisc, OSU). Capital One got the next selection, took the other (Mich St). Outback was allowed first selection after that, and all the remaining teams were 7-5 with the same conference record, so they took Penn St (which was the biggest brand of the 3).

As far as South Carolina after the 2008 season, again had to do with how the conference did:

UF and Bama both went to BCS bowls. The Capital One had the next pick and chose UGA.

The way the previous setup, worked at that time, was that the 3rd/4th pick was split between some combination of the Cotton, Chick-fil-A, and Outback bowls. The way it usually worked

That year, the Cotton Bowl selected Ole Miss (8 wins). When the Chick-fil-a and Outback picks came up, all that were left were 7-5 LSU, 7-5 South Carolina, and a 6 win Vandy.

Either the Chick-fil-a went first and took LSU, leaving the Outback with either South Carolina or Vandy, or the Outback bowl still had a contractual obligation to take the highest available East team (when records
were the same) and had to pick South Carolina.

But either way, those were all instances/seasons where most of the conference was bad and a 7-win team was the only think left/available to the pool. In other words, it took a lot of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

in your scenarios, a team with a better record wasnt passed over for those teams. They landed there because they were what was left. We will not be picked over a team with a better record just because we are Tennessee. We travel well but so does LSU, TxAM, Auburn, OM.

Win out and TN will likely make it to the Outback or Gator.

This is absolutely true...Both bowls are very focused on ticket sales big time. Live here in FL and hear people on the committee talk about fan bases that travel well and would be very energized to buy tickets. Went to the last 2 Outback bowls we played in and it is a fantastic bowl event. Gator really has struggled selling tickets the past few years outside of Booby Bowden's last game..Outback would not want schools that have recently been there or unmotivated fan bases for sure. The Gator had close to 10K or more unsold tickets last year and 19K the year before that they had Florida in the game. The Outback had 11K unsold for 2013 South Carolina game and 14K unsold for last year. That is huge. Don't be surprised if either jump up and down loudly for a 7-5 Tennessee team

I seem to remember the last time we rebounded from some tough years, we went out and beat Miami like a rented mule down in New Orleans.

That would be a nice parallel to show the world we're coming back.

Maybe, but remember Miami is not playing for the NCAA championship this year. We spotted them 7 and scored 35 unanswered points.

VN Store

Back