ESPN Gets Political, Loses 621,000 Subscribers

Finally. There's more than enough social commentary anyone needs EVERYWHERE else. I'm sick of it in sports. Don't want to see it. Don't want to hear it. Those that do it get the damn channel switched on them or I just stop watching that channel altogether.
I go to sports to get away from that s#!t.

Reactions: 2 people
If it were not for so many UT games on the ESPN networks, I would drop it in a heartbeat. I very seldom watch ESPN. Maybe for Monday night football.

I'm in the same camp as ButchPlz. They have a content problem. They deviated from their winning formula.

It's because they had to. Their non-live sports programming (SportsCenter, the various analysis/debate/shout shows) is totally irrelevant in an era of the internet and smartphones.

In order to try and make that programming relevant again, they've inserted a lot of non-sports pop culture, discussion of what happens on social media, and a political slant.

I honestly don't watch much NFL anyways. I spend all day Saturday tracking college. I mainly watch the Titans when I have time but up until last year they have sucked big time since Fischer left.

Reactions: 1 person
A UT game or another good college game is the only time I watch it.

That's me. I need to get Sling up and running again, which gets canceled after the NC. I watch UT and whatever good college games are on. NFL I will maybe watch playoffs and that's about it. I never watch sportscenter, and gameday is awful. I own Disney so I'm very interested in ESPN getting their strategy corrected.

A UT game or another good college game is the only time I watch it.

Same. I used to like a few of there shows. Turned on PTI yesterday to them saying the only reason people were betting on McGregor over Mayweather was because he's "The Great White Hope" sure its defintley not because a lot of people hate mayweather, or that McGregors an underdog and people like an underdog, or that it's a bunch of mma fans wanting to see him win. Nope, definitely only the racial issue.

Same. I used to like a few of there shows. Turned on PTI yesterday to them saying the only reason people were betting on McGregor over Mayweather was because he's "The Great White Hope" sure its defintley not because a lot of people hate mayweather, or that McGregors an underdog and people like an underdog, or that it's a bunch of mma fans wanting to see him win. Nope, definitely only the racial issue.

I've enjoyed when the media has come to Mayweather in a tizz about all the "racist" comments McGregor is making and he says he doesn't think any of it is racist.

This race baiting stuff is what turns reasonable people away in a hurry. Mayweather is not liked by a lot of people. They root for his opponent regardless of their color. But because this time it's a white guy it's racism. No reasonable person buys that line of logic.

I'm glad someone over there recognizes it. Though I disagree only conservatives are complaining about the lack of sports on a sports network.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...about-charlottesville/?utm_term=.a466b06ff8f9

I like Sage Steele, she's very good at what she does. I think ESPN has almost pulled an MTV. When I was a teenager MTV was great because you got to see Music Videos, then they started having actual programs, then reality shows, games shows etc. It was no longer music television.

We got ESPN at the same time we got MTV and they showed any and all kinds of sports. Jai-Alai, ping pong, as well as mainstream sports. They had really good on air personalities and it was easy to watch. They started with Outside the Lines, which had some good stories from time to time, then they got PTI and Around the Horn which weren't bad in the beginning. Now they have Mike and Mike, First Take, Jamele and Whoever, Jalen and Jacoby and the list goes on. They still show a lot of sports but their shows have become reality TV.

Just out of curiosity why don't you watch it

You didn't ask me but, it's not the game it was when I was a die hard fan back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Players don't tackle, they go for the highlight hits, way to many rules favoring the offense and especially the QB and more importantly there isn't many players I like anymore.

Reactions: 4 people
In this boat. I question why any adult watches that crap, at this point.

I completely get both your reasons. I enjoy the NFL just because it's football. I like going to the sports book or a local watering hole and watching. I think sports especially football where people can put aside all differences and just enjoy a game. Plus at the sports books the stakes are high and the emotions even higher. Ya see lots of people drowning their sorrows over a bet and not a team

Last edited:
That is why college football was invented.

The NFL is by far the most talented and sophisticated football league on earth. If you don't like watching the NFL, you probably aren't much of a football fan.

I love the NBA but I'm not that crazy about college. I realize I'm not that big of a hoops fan, it's specific elements about the NBA that draw me in.

I'll watch NFL whenever it's on, I'll watch college football every weekend, I'll even watch high school...all because the game is the main draw.

The NFL is by far the most talented and sophisticated football league on earth. If you don't like watching the NFL, you probably aren't much of a football fan.

I love the NBA but I'm not that crazy about college. I realize I'm not that big of a hoops fan, it's specific elements about the NBA that draw me in.

I'll watch NFL whenever it's on, I'll watch college football every weekend, I'll even watch high school...all because the game is the main draw.
You should be given a medal if you can sit through an NBA game. I guess that even though I have watched some form of football every year for at least 60, that I am not much of a fan.

I'm a die hard college football fan. Best sport in the world.

I wouldn't be upset if I never saw another NFL game.

The NFL is by far the most talented and sophisticated football league on earth. If you don't like watching the NFL, you probably aren't much of a football maniac.

fyp

VN Store

Back