ESPN Bowl Selection

hcope316

They were talking about how other confrences like the mac, wac, and Mtn. west would compete against the SEC. It is well known that the SEC is much stonger then them but they did call out the fact that one of the worst teams wyoming did beat Tennessee this year...:no:

Competing with the SEC may be a stretch, and perhaps I'm shrewd, but I don't like opening up the BCS bowls to teams that play junk schedules all year and then go undefeated.

Competing with the SEC may be a stretch, and perhaps I'm shrewd, but I don't like opening up the BCS bowls to teams that play junk schedules all year and then go undefeated.

I don't have a problem with Utah. They've won several games against BCS conference teams the past few years. I wouldn't have had a problem with Boise State, either. Heck, for that matter, ACC champ Virginia Tech is in the BCS even though they lost to C-USA champ East Carolina, which has the same overall record.

Now if Ball State hadn't choked, and they had gone to the BCS, that wouldn't have been right. But that was never really in the cards.

Going undefeated in the MAC is like lossing youre virginity to a prostitute, yeah you did it, but you lost something else too.

Going undefeated in the MAC is like lossing youre virginity to a prostitute, yeah you did it, but you lost something else too.

Utah is in the Mountain West.
Which includes two other ranked teams (more than Big East) and four other team going bowling.

I don't have a problem with Utah. They've won several games against BCS conference teams the past few years. I wouldn't have had a problem with Boise State, either. Heck, for that matter, ACC champ Virginia Tech is in the BCS even though they lost to C-USA champ East Carolina, which has the same overall record.

Now if Ball State hadn't choked, and they had gone to the BCS, that wouldn't have been right. But that was never really in the cards.

I dont really have a problem with any team that goes undefeated going to a bcs game.
IMO thats why there needs to be a playoff system. Then the smaller schools get their shot.

Boise state plays TCU. I dont know how boise state got such a crappy bowl bid but I think they will beat up on TCU.

ND will likely lose yet another bowl game this year. They play in the hawaii bowl against Hawaii..

Texas Tech didnt get to the BCS but they landed the cotton bowl. They should have an advantage there.

yea when he said that, that mad me so:banghead2::realmad::furious3::censored::bad::shaking2::mad:

They were talking about how other confrences like the mac, wac, and Mtn. west would compete against the SEC. It is well known that the SEC is much stonger then them but they did call out the fact that one of the worst teams wyoming did beat Tennessee this year...:no:

That was just Fowler taking another shot at Tennessee, he does it every chance he can.

I think Utah is much better than last year's Hawaii team. I think they'll give Alabama a good run, but the fact that the game is in the SEC's backyard will probably be the difference.

The first step towards a playoff system in cfb is getting rid of these small no name bowls. A lot of these games would be pretty good regular season games, but have no place in the bowl season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The first step towards a playoff system in cfb is getting rid of these small no name bowls. A lot of these games would be pretty good regular season games, but have no place in the bowl season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree, i think the cut off to qualify for the bowls should be 8 wins minimum and maybe only have around 15 bowls....i also hate seeing these teams play cupcake schedules and go undefeated and get a BCS bowl. Its not fair to schools like texas tech who deserve it more. My other concern this year is why ohio st. got a bcs invite?....it makes no sense to allow this embarrassment of a program another chance to get manhandled in front of a national audience and get paid alot of money to do so. I like the bcs and the bowl system but i liked it alot more in its original 1998 configuration (not only because UT won it that year :) ) but because that system took into consideration quality wins and strength of schedule, two things im embarrassed this system no longer considers. Had those things been kept in the system most of the gripes from the past few years would have been answered. I never want to see a playoff in college football (i wrote why on another thread) but i think division I-A (or whatever bs name its called now) has too many teams in it. With only a 12 game year that leaves the window for too many teams to go undefeated from cupcake con fences. If I were king of football for a day, the first thing i would do is divide div-I into two seperate divisions, the BCS conferences and the non-bcs conferences (make them the new div I-AA since its called something else now) and make all the BCS schools schedule all their out of conference games against other BCS schools....im tired of seeing schools like virginia tech scheduling schools like the virginia school for the deaf and blind every year to get their out of conference wins to get a good bowl. But theres the ranting of what yall might construe to be an idiot :crazy: but thats how id like to see college football pan out.

I dont really have a problem with any team that goes undefeated going to a bcs game.
IMO thats why there needs to be a playoff system. Then the smaller schools get their shot.

Boise state plays TCU. I dont know how boise state got such a crappy bowl bid but I think they will beat up on TCU.

ND will likely lose yet another bowl game this year. They play in the hawaii bowl against Hawaii..

Texas Tech didnt get to the BCS but they landed the cotton bowl. They should have an advantage there.

I wouldnt count TCU out of the game if I were you.

I agree, i think the cut off to qualify for the bowls should be 8 wins minimum and maybe only have around 15 bowls....i also hate seeing these teams play cupcake schedules and go undefeated and get a BCS bowl. Its not fair to schools like texas tech who deserve it more. My other concern this year is why ohio st. got a bcs invite?....it makes no sense to allow this embarrassment of a program another chance to get manhandled in front of a national audience and get paid alot of money to do so. I like the bcs and the bowl system but i liked it alot more in its original 1998 configuration (not only because UT won it that year :) ) but because that system took into consideration quality wins and strength of schedule, two things im embarrassed this system no longer considers.

Texas vs Bama and Florida vs OU would have been SUCH a better match up. talk about a playoff without the playoff. that's pretty much a round robin right there.

here's how i see the bowls.

Bowls in red should have been taken away long before now. Getting rid of these Toilet Bowl games is the first step towards a CFB playoff. Once we get rid of these bowls we can start working toward a more realistic post season in CFB.

Bowls in green should have been regular season games, but we don't really need the bowl game.

EagleBank Bowl
Wake Forest vs. Navy
Oh let me mark my calendar right now! Lame. This bowl should be eliminated.

New Mexico
Colorado State vs. Fresno State
Again, are you kidding me? Eliminate this bowl.

magicJack St. Petersburg
Memphis vs. South Florida
Super yawwwwnn. This game is going to suck. USF's qb can't play a good game to save his life with his no mustache havin self. Give me a break. Eliminate this bowl.

Pioneer Las Vegas
BYU vs. Arizona
...why? Eliminate. What's Michael Jackson's favorite school? Bringem Young University. Har har har.

R+L Carriers New Orleans
Southern Miss vs. Troy
Stupid Bowl. Eliminate.

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia
Boise State vs. TCU
LOL @ the name of this bowl. BSU needs to move to a more competitive conference so they stop getting invited to horse crap bowls like this. Until they do that, I can't take them seriously. This will, however, be a good game. I still think they should eliminate this bowl though.

Sheraton Hawaii
Hawaii vs. Notre Dame
What a sympathy bowl this is. Wow at ND going on a vacation at the end of the season to beautiful Hawaii. Give me a break. Eliminate bowl.

Motor City
Florida Atlantic vs. Central Michigan
Who cares about this game? How does CM get to go to a bowl game? Better yet, how does FAU go to a bowl game? ELIMINATE.

Meineke Car Care
West Virginia vs. North Carolina
This should be a good game. I think that this bowl has a place because it's two somewhat deserving teams. UNC has been losing heat and WVU has been gaining heat.

Champs Sports
Wisconsin vs. Florida State
I like this game too. Wisc was good at the beginning of the season but they fell off and kind fell back into the college football shadows. FSU had a good run in early November too, getting into the top 25. I like this bowl. Should be a good game.

Emerald
Miami (Fla.) vs. California
This could be a good game, but this is really a matchup between a team on the decline and team on the rise.

Independence
Northern Illinois vs. Louisiana Tech
LOUISIANA TECH IS IN A BOWL GAME. NORTHERN ILLINOIS IS IN A BOWL GAME. SAVE US NOW. ELIMINIATE

Papajohns.com
NC State vs. Rutgers
I don't know how NC State got invited to a bowl game. Rutgers is just struggling right now to find their place as well. I don't like this game. Or the bowl.

Valero Alamo
Missouri vs. Northwestern
The Big12 had too many good teams this year, and I understand that, but Mizzou should not be playing NW in a bowl game. I know that NW surprised a lot of people EARLIER this year, but they are not bowl worthy as of late. Waste of time. Mizzou should be playing a better team in this one. Take a team from another bowl that's on Mizzou's level and put them in. Say an LSU, and put NW against LSU's supposed to be opponent. Or eliminate them both.

Roady's Humanitarian
Maryland vs. Nevada
Maryland beat the teams that they shouldn't have beaten early, but lost against teams they shouldn't have lost to late. For that reason they are a bowl buster only and not a bowl contender, this bowl is lame. Not digging it.

Texas
Rice vs. Western Michigan
Sympathy bowl. Not buying this matchup. When did Michigan become the new Texas or Florida in the nation and have a bunch of teams in bowl games? I'd rather see THE Michigan playing washed up teams than these smaller schools. And even then that would be stupid.

Pacific Life Holiday
Oklahoma State vs. Oregon
Has the ingredients to be a pretty good game. They both can run, and they both play somewhat tolerable defense. But still.

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
Houston vs. Air Force
YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNN. AF has been slow since their coach ran off to GT. And why would I want to watch Houston?

Brut Sun
Oregon State vs. Pittsburgh
This bowl is ehhh. Either one of these teams could have subbed out to play other bowl-worthy teams instead of each other. This could still be an alright game though. Good running. This is one of those situations where these teams should have played each other in the reg season to play say Vandy or BC. A team like that. There's no need to have BC, Vandy, OSU, and Pitt all playing different teams when they could have just had the best 2 in the group play each other.

Gaylord Hotels Music City
Boston College vs. Vanderbilt
Could be a good game, but really we don't need it in bowl season.

Insight
Kansas vs. Minnesota
I know that the Big10 people are proud of Minnesota but come on now. Another game that would have been somewhat entertaining in the reg season and not bowl season.

Chick-fil-A
LSU vs. Georgia Tech
This game could be good seeing as GT ended their season on a high note and LSU ended theirs on a low note.

Outback
South Carolina vs. Iowa
I'm not really digging this match up, but I could see this being a good game. Iowa can run the ball and USCe has a good D.

Capital One
Georgia vs. Michigan State
This game could be good. I'm digging the match up here especially because both of their seasons kind of went in similar fashion and they both have top notch RBs.

Konica Minolta Gator
Clemson vs. Nebraska
This should have been a reg season game. I'd rather see a Big East team play Clem than Nebraska.

Rose Bowl
Penn State vs. USC
Could be a good game. I think that USC can overwhelm PSU at home (pretty much), but we'll see if JoPa can go out on a good note. PSU fans want Joe to win this one to have a good note to go out on.

FedEx Orange
Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
Cinci wins I do believe. ACC was a little washed up this year and Cinci proved a lot this year, a good bowl win here for Cinci really helps boost that program.

AT&T Cotton
Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech
Really digging this game. Should be a good one especially considering the fact that Ole Miss showed that they could score a lot of points in that MSU game that they had. We'll see how this one plays out. Ole Miss has a pretty good D Line and a couple of good playmakers on offense that could stretch this one out.

AutoZone Liberty
Kentucky vs. East Carolina
Trash.

Allstate Sugar
Utah vs. Alabama
Disappointing match up to say the least.

International
Buffalo vs. Connecticut
This game doesn't look to be all that great either.

Tostitos Fiesta
Ohio State vs. Texas
I can dig it, but it's been done before. It'll be fun to watch Pryor in his first big game though. Texas should put it on them though.

GMAC
Tulsa vs. Ball State
Ball State HAD to win that Buffalo game. They didn't, why are they going to a bowl game?

FedEx BCS National Championship Game
Florida vs. Oklahoma
Kind of cool. Florida wins I believe. Esp if Harvin is back, which he should be. Not like it matters, I think that UF proved that they could win without him. OU's RB isn't going to be 100 anyway I don't think which could provide an equalizer. OU better hope that Tebow wins the Heisman, otherwise he comes out with something to prove. And his D will shut down Bradford should he win the Heisman.

in my above post, that makes 9 bowls that i think should remain. and 9 bowls that have matchups that should have been regular season games or should require a voting committee to take 1 team from each bowl to play one another. that winds up being around 15 or 16 bowl games should you take Ball St or another team from the red bowl games i marked.

Personally, I think that everyone plays all their required conference games and has 2 out of conference games against another conference opponent of their choosing before the season. What OSU and USC did this year should set an example for all other teams striving to make a run at the BCS bowls. If you think that you want to make a run at a major BCS bowl that year, line up a game against a ranked opponent.

Maybe match the conferences up that don't already play each other. Big12 vs Pac10, Big10 vs Big East (or opponents of their choosing), SEC vs ACC.
I mean GT plays UGA, USCe plays Clemson, Florida plays FSU and Mia, UT should play VT. Just little changes like that could spice everything up to make the BCS more playoff like as they season goes.

Last edited:
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
Houston vs. Air Force
YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNN. AF has been slow since their coach ran off to GT. And why would I want to watch Houston?

Paul Johnson, the GT current head coach... was at Navy prior to going to GT, not AF.

VN Store

Back