ESPN: Bowl projections: Looking ahead after Week 13

I agree with him. I don't not care who we play, I just want to win and and the more we win by, the better. We could probably beat a ranked Michigan team but we should destroy a ranked Northwestern team and that is what I want. They are ranked like 15th in the country and we could have a LOT of positive momentum if we just boatraced them.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen anyone taking the "I want to play Northwestern because the last time we played a bowl against them in the state of Florida, the next season we won the SEC and got to a #3 ranking and played #2 team in the Orange Bowl"...or something like that.

O/U would probably be set at UT -6.5. I could see the spread being even more so in our favor though.

Vegas would be all about UT in that matchup.

I think Tennessee would beat Northwestern something like 28-17. NW has a tough defense but Tennessee would eat them up with screen passes to Hurd and Kamara .

It's crazy to think that the best team we beat this year may have been Bowling Green.

Certainly the best QB and passing offense we faced this year was BGSU.

But best team? Nah. Even with all their flaws, Georgia is head and shoulders above Bowling Green, and would beat them on the field 9 times out of 10.

Just a quick check and all of these sources have us in the Outback against NW! :salute:

ESPN
FOX Sports
CBS Sports
Campus Insiders
Orlando Sentinel
Big Ten Network
Sports Illustrated - Not sure if most current

I agree with him. I don't not care who we play, I just want to win and and the more we win by, the better. We could probably beat a ranked Michigan team but we should destroy a ranked Northwestern team and that is what I want. They are ranked like 15th in the country and we could have a LOT of positive momentum if we just boatraced them.

Exactly. At the level of bowl we're at, the opponent doesn't matter nearly as much as being in the bowl, getting the practice, having a good time, and getting a W. If you can do all that stuff and get an easier W because you play a way overrated team, then go for it.

Reactions: 3 people
Exactly. At the level of bowl we're at, the opponent doesn't matter nearly as much as being in the bowl, getting the practice, having a good time, and getting a W. If you can do all that stuff and get an easier W because you play a way overrated team, then go for it.

Yes. So much this.

Reactions: 2 people
Except it does matter, especially this year.

The only question marks around Butch Jones are:

1. Can he outcoach an elite coach on Saturday?
2. Will his offense work against the upper half of the SEC?

There were times later this year when we thought: Butch is learning! but we couldn't be sure because of the tale of two halves of the schedule. The offense could still be shut down in the second half against even bad teams.

Michigan and Harbaugh will provide an answer to those questions.

In addition, no one but Vols and Hawkeyes remember us shellacking a New Years Bowl bound Iowa. Victory against Michigan helps load up the hype train. We want and need that for Heisman publicity and for momentum, and to heap pressure on the BSiA to raise their game and push the Vols on to greatness in 2016.

That doesn't matter to the players. The players know what they are able to do. Maybe you need your answers, but they don't. And frankly I don't care if you ever get what you need.

And nobody remembers mid-level bowl games unless Jadeveon Clowney murders a running back. Don't be dense. I couldn't tell you who was in last year's Outback Bowl because it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of Bowl Season. The top ones matter for obvious reasons. Other than those, it's an opportunity for the teams to get one more game, lots of practices, and a vacation with some swag while the fans get one more chance to cheer.

To go back to your comment, though. Nobody remembers us beating Iowa because almost every team has played 12 games. There are all new storylines. But going into 2015's season, everyone was using what we did to Iowa as reasons why we'd be great. If we beat the breaks off of Harbaugh later this month, but go 8-4 next season and aren't in the SEC championship, they'll talk about the Michigan win about as much as they'd talk about a Northwestern thrashing (see: none whatsoever).

Because once next season comes around, like I said, it means nothing. We still have to go out there and perform. We are positioned no better or worse, as a team, with a win over Michigan or a win over Northwestern. We will be just inside the top-20 with a win over NW and just inside the top-15 with a win over UM. Either way, we go practically undefeated and we're in the top-4.

This bowl game, as long as it's a win, will have no bearing on the outcome of next season. Why flirt with a loss to a better team when a huge win over a top-15 team is pretty damn good?

Also, the payout difference between the Outback and Belk is about a million less, so Outback please! :dance2:

Just a quick check and all of these sources have us in the Outback against NW! :salute:

ESPN
FOX Sports
CBS Sports
Campus Insiders
Orlando Sentinel
Big Ten Network
Sports Illustrated - Not sure if most current

Still seeing some put is in Music City v. PSU. with UGA to Outback and Ole Piss to Citrus?

National Championship - Alabama v. Oklahoma

Cotton- Alabama v. Michigan St.

Orange - Clemson v. Oklahoma

Peach - Notre Dame v. Houston

Sugar - Oklahoma St. v. Ole Miss

Rose - Iowa v. Stanford

Fiesta - Ohio St. v. Florida St.

Alamo - TCU v. Oregon

Cactus - Baylor v. USC

Citrus - Northwestern v. FLorida

Outback - Tennessee v. Michigan

Taxslayer - Penn St. v. Georgia

Belk - Miami v. Mississippi St.

Holiday - Wisconsin v. Utah

Texas - West Virginia v. LSU

Russell - UNC v. Texas Tech

Music City - Louisville v. Arkansas

Military - Virginia Tech v. Navy

Liberty - Kansas St. v. Texas AM

Birmingham - Memphis v. Auburn

Arizona - Washington v. Utah St.

Armed Forces - Illinois v. Air Force

Quick Lane - Nevada v. Minnesota

Foster Farms - Indiana v. Washington St.

Heart of Dallas - California v. Western Kentucky

Independence - NC St. v. Missouri

Pinstripe - Duke v. Nebraska

St. Petersburg - UCONN v. Marshall

Sun - Pittsburgh v. UCLA

Bahamas - MTSU v. W. Michigan

Hawaii - Temple v. BYU

Go Daddy- C. Michigan v. Appy St.

Poinsettia - Boise St. v. Arizona

Boca Raton - Tulsa v. N. Illinois

Potato - Ohio v. New Mexico

Miami Beach - Cincinnati v. Southern Miss

Camelia - Toledo v. Georgia Southern

Cure - South Florida v. Bowling Green

Las Vegas - San Diego St. v. Arizona St.

New Mexico - Rice v. Colorado St.

New Orleans - Arkansas St. v. La Tech

Also, the payout difference between the Outback and Belk is about a million less, so Outback please! :dance2:

Except with either one, UT only retains about $1.275 mil (plus some travel allowance).

The rest goes into the overall pool divided up among the conference.

(This was from pamphlet/brochure the conference gave out earlier in the year that I also had downloaded onto my computer):

SEC BOWL REVENUE DISTRIBUTION

(A) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance of less than $1,500,000, the participating institution shall retain $1,000,000, plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remit- ted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

(B) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $1,500,000 and $3,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,275,000, plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

(C) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $4,000,000 and $5,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,475,000, plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

(D) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance of $6,000,000 or more (including all CFP games), the participating institution shall receive $2,000,000 ($2,000,000 if the SEC team is a participant in the College Football Playoff semi-finals game; an additional $2,100,000 if the SEC team is also a participant in the College Football Playoff championship game, which determines the National Championship), plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. Institutions participating in a College Football Playoff game may also request additional travel expenses, which may be granted to such institution at the Commissioner’s discretion. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

(E) Bowl Revenue Protection Insurance shall be deducted prior to Conference distribution. For bowl games with a contractually guaranteed ticket purchase number of 9,000 or more, the cost of unused tickets above 9,000 shall be deducted prior to Conference distribution, and the institution is financially responsible for 9,000 contractually guaranteed tickets. For bowl games with a contractually guaranteed ticket purchase number of less than 9,000, the institution is financially responsible for all contractually guaranteed tickets.

For simplified reference, here's the announced 2015 payout for each bowl having an SEC tie-in, alongside of which is the amount the participating school would actually individually retain from playing in that bowl:

(Each Big 5 conference receives an estimated $50 million, whether or not it has a team in the playoffs. An estimated $6 million bonus will be paid for each team a conference has in the semifinals, $4 million for teams in a New Year's 6 Bowls, but no additional dollars for reaching the championship game; each school gets $2 million for expenses for that. Big 6 bowls that don’t host a semifinal game, will split additional revenue with the participating teams/conferences.)

2015 College Bowl Games

CFP Championship ------ team retains $2,100,000 (team had already retained $2,000,000 of the $6,000,000 or more given out for making the playoff semi-final game

Orange Bowl - Semifinal
Cotton Bowl - Semifinal

Semifinals = $6,000,000 or more ------ team retains $2,000,000

Sugar Bowl
Rose Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Peach Bowl

Any of the other New Year's 6 bowls (ex/ SEC team that fills the Sugar Bowl spot) = $4,000,000 ------ team retains $1,475,000 plus a travel allowance

Other bowls:

Citrus $4,250,000 ------ team retains $1,475,000 plus travel allowance

Outback Bowl $3,500,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Texas Bowl $3,000,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Music City Bowl $2,750,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

TaxSlayer $2,750,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Belk Bowl $1,700,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Liberty Bowl $1,437,500 ------ team retains $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance

Independence Bowl $1,200,000 ------ team retains $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance

Birmingham Bowl ~$1,000,000 ------ team retains $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance

(I had to estimate the Birmingham Bowl; it hasn't released an official amount yet, so that's last year's number. It likely will be just a little bit higher)

-----As noted earlier, Southeastern conference also receives $50 mil because of the CFP

Outback Bowl $3,500,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Texas Bowl $3,000,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Music City Bowl $2,750,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

TaxSlayer $2,750,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Belk Bowl $1,700,000 ------ team retains $1,275,000 plus a travel allowance

Liberty Bowl $1,437,500 ------ team retains $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance

Interesting. So five of the six co-equals actually have identical payouts, with the balance going to the shared pool.

Thanks for the research, True!

I've been telling people for a couple of weeks these six bowls are the same. Thanks for posting the numbers

Interesting. So five of the six co-equals actually have identical payouts, with the balance going to the shared pool.

Thanks for the research, True!

Correct, with that shared pool - along with the CFP playoff money, NCAA tournament money, TV broadcast contracts (CBS, ESPN), the revenue from SEC Network, revenue from the SEC basketball tournament, revenue from the SEC football Championship game, money from televised football, money from televised basketball, money from NCAA championships - being divided up 15 ways (the 14 schools and the SEC front offices) later in the year.

The one that pays less less is only about a $275k difference.

Which is probably a difference no school would actually mind that much when they're also getting somewhere around over $21 mil come the following May.

I would prefer to play Michigan. Beat NW and no one is saying, "wow, they beat the crap out of a top 15 team." They are instead saying, "NW just wasn't that good." Beat Michigan, earn more respect!

Is this really how you see it on VN? If we beat NW, regardless of the score, some on here will be "wow UT beat a crappy NW team that wasnt deserving of their ranking and you sunshine pumpers are happy about it."

If we beat Michigan, regardless of the score, it will be much the same. "Well Michigan wasnt really that good. They got blown out by OSU, so that means they kind of suck. And probably my favorite, Harbaugh was not motivated to play us, if we was they would have beaten us by a couple of scores."

Is this really how you see it on VN? If we beat NW, regardless of the score, some on here will be "wow UT beat a crappy NW team that wasnt deserving of their ranking and you sunshine pumpers are happy about it."

If we beat Michigan, regardless of the score, it will be much the same. "Well Michigan wasnt really that good. They got blown out by OSU, so that means they kind of suck. And probably my favorite, Harbaugh was not motivated to play us, if we was they would have beaten us by a couple of scores."

It's the NegaVol way.

VN Store

Back