"ESPN Announces Upcoming Reggie White ’30 for 30′ Documentary"

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Although it appears that this production will focus primarily if not exclusively on his NFL career, "ESPN’s award-winning documentary series “30 for 30” is set to tackle the story of one of the greatest defensive football players in the history of the sport. As announced by ESPN Press Room on Wednesday, ESPN Films is currently in production with a documentary titled “The Minister of Defense” – covering the career of NFL legend Reggie White." ESPN Announces Upcoming Reggie White '30 for 30' Documentary | Rocky Top Insider

One of the greatest individual plays of all time in the league is when Reggie lifted up Larry Allen of the Cowboys and tossed him aside like a rag doll. Larry Allen was no slouch - multi year All-pro and considered the most dominant guard in the league at the time.

Looking forward to this one, but I bet this film talks about his infamous race speech. That was a cringe moment.

Reactions: Pennheel and CSVol
That it has taken this long makes me wonder who died, or who signed an agreement not to sue ESPN. I hope to be surprised, but ESPN has become so politically--no, make that, committed to the ESG business philosophy--that I can't imagine them simply presenting the man as he was, without offering or implying "moral" judgement.

Although it appears that this production will focus primarily if not exclusively on his NFL career, "ESPN’s award-winning documentary series “30 for 30” is set to tackle the story of one of the greatest defensive football players in the history of the sport. As announced by ESPN Press Room on Wednesday, ESPN Films is currently in production with a documentary titled “The Minister of Defense” – covering the career of NFL legend Reggie White." ESPN Announces Upcoming Reggie White '30 for 30' Documentary | Rocky Top Insider

Doug Atkins and Reggie White were the two most dominant defensive linemen to ever wear a Tennessee football uniform.

I hope they take an honest look- or better ignore, the faux church arson story that was national media proof that Knoxville was racists.

EVERY local in Knox and Blount County knew "Rev." Jerry Upton burned down his own church and was why the church was not rebuilt even though they bilked millions nationwide from people.

Reggie had nothing to do with it as he was suckered by Upton as well, so let's not even go there.

I think Upton was finally sent to prison on unrelated stuff.

Will never forget sitting in a Sonny's BBQ on the southside of Nashville on a weekday in the 80s (was living in Atlanta) when I red an article in the Tennessean about The Minister of Defense. It was his Sophomore year and the reporter interviewed a UT defensive coach and asked him why Reggie was playing so much better his Sophomore season. Coach said, well, Reggie became an ordained Baptist Minister at the age of 18, and so I told Reggie that the man with the ball is the Devil. Rest is history my friends.

Crazy to think how young he was when he died only 43 which is my age now. The minister of defense he was a great one. Anybody know what he died of?

I swear I remember being in Kentucky when I saw it on the news about him passing. I literally couldn't believe it, felt like I lost a family member. I know that's probably odd, but he was one of my favorite players.

Not odd at all. He was a special person and transcended football as a genuinely good man. He was also multi generational. He was gone long before my son was born but even he likes watching old Reggie highlights.

Reactions: joevol33
(In the 30 for 30 narrator voice)

What if I told you the University of Tennessee once signed a literal gospel believing, man-eating grizzly bear to play defensive end? A bear-man that could and would throw opponents into other opponents. Well, they did just that.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
He had a lot going on with his health.

Reggie White died on December 26, 2004, at age 43 from a cardiac arrhythmia, which many believe was partly caused by his untreated sleep apnea.
View attachment 551674
Index › ... › Blog
Reggie White's legacy - Sleep Apnea - ResMed
tl;dr Both happened: pulmonary sarcoidosis resulting in/ worsening sleep apnea
………….

Truly not trying to stir up chit here! - he had both: pulmonary sarcoidosis, which caused or worsened sleep apnea. Pulmonary sarcoidosis results in greatly reduced lung volume (can’t hold much air), which affects heart rhythm. The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown, but it’s one of those immune system misfires.

It’s more common in Blacks (and Scandinavians), and I only know about it from my time in the VA, because we saw it in many Black veterans.

Sarcoidosis in White's lungs and heart was the likely trigger that "resulted in a fatal cardiac arrhythmia," Dr. Mike Sullivan, medical examiner of Mecklenburg County, N.C., said Monday. "Sleep apnea may have been a contributing factor."

Sullivan's is the jurisdiction where White died at 7:51 a.m. Sunday after being taken from his home in Cornelius, N.C., to Presbyterian Hospital in Huntersville, N.C. He was 43.

White's disease stealthy, fatal

NFL great Reggie White may have died because of a respiratory disease combined with other health problems, a preliminary autopsy report said Dec. 27.

White most likely had a condition that affected the amount of air his lungs could hold, resulting in "fatal cardiac arrhythmia," said Dr. Mike Sullivan, the medical examiner for Mecklenburg County and a forensic pathologist.

The report issued by Sullivan's office also said sleep apnea may have been a factor…

White had the disease, known as sarcoidosis, for several years, family spokesman Keith Johnson said. He described it as a respiratory ailment that affected his sleep.

Preliminary Report: White Died From Lung Ailment

Reactions: CPA and malinoisvol

VN Store

Back