Eric Berry's number retired??

GiveHimSIX!!!

Must be Nice GUY
Just bought the Tennessee football yearbook and it had the all-decade teams since the 50's with a picture of Reggie White for the 80's of course Peyton for 90's and Eric was for the 2000's. Will they wait and see how well he does in the NFL?? I say 14 should be the next to go up, I dont think him leaving his Jr. year doesnt hurt him in that aspect at all.

As much as I admire EB and thoroughly understand and agree with his decision to leave at the end of his junior season, I can't see retiring his number. Would you want to do Witten next?

Berry can be argued as the greatest college football safety of all time. Yes, he deserves it.

Did a quick read. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think it says in there that you have to be a graduate of UT to have your # retired. :rock:

I remember reading once that Peyton didn't even achieve the goals needed to have his number retired. I dunno if that's true or not as I didn't look in to it.

It also says at the bottom that they can retire anyones number that they choose. i think Berry should be retired for not only how he played , but how he represented the school and himself on and off the field.

UT's criteria for a retired number is moronic, who cares what he does in the NFL? It should be retired, he will be remembered as an all-time great at UT.

As much as I admire EB and thoroughly understand and agree with his decision to leave at the end of his junior season, I can't see retiring his number. Would you want to do Witten next?

Witten wasn't half the player Berry was here. His number his worthy of retirement.

I remember reading once that Peyton didn't even achieve the goals needed to have his number retired. I dunno if that's true or not as I didn't look in to it.

If he didn't at the time of enshrinement, he has met them as of this current point in time. Well, except the H.O.F. and the records, but that seems all but inevitable

I say if he has an amazing first 3-5years in the NFL and continues to do so later on down the road they will retire it. He just got into the NFL and they are already speaking him of one of the greats next to Peyton and Reggie. I hope they retire his number. Can't believe they gave it to a 4th string walk-on Qb..

Just bought the Tennessee football yearbook and it had the all-decade teams since the 50's with a picture of Reggie White for the 80's of course Peyton for 90's and Eric was for the 2000's. Will they wait and see how well he does in the NFL?? I say 14 should be the next to go up, I dont think him leaving his Jr. year doesnt hurt him in that aspect at all.

Retired for accomplishing what exactly?

Did you change your avatar?

If not for Tim Tebow (bleh) he would have been the best player in the SEC easily while he was here. I don't really see why it matters what he does in the NFL. I mean what if he were to get hurt or something? That wouldn't take away what he did as a Vol. He had about as successful career at UT as he possibly could.

Better wait! Barry Bonds,Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Ray Lewis were all locks to have their number retired at one time.

I don't think so. Base on whatever that guideline UT came up with, unless Berry were to be inducted to College HOF, he wouldn't satisfy the college football achievement criterion. Additionally, we are making a huge assumption that he will be an outstanding player in NFL for years to come, and that's not guaranteed either.

Regardless of his NFL career, he should have his jersey retired, not his number.

What does an NFL career have to do with college football.

Tebow will have his jersey retired, whether he is a flop in the NFL or not. Same case for Berry. IMO

Eric Berry

2 time concensus All Americian
SEC defensive player of the year
SEC freshmen all american
Thorpe Award Winner
SEC record holder for most return yardage from INT.

He's the best of the best.

VN Store

Back