Elijah Herring to the portal

You didn't even mention Arion Carter, also Jalen Smith could factor in as well. I think we'll be alright, but it is a weird move by him.
Not really. Probably pointed out to him that we are loaded at inside LB (Peli, Telander, Carter, Smith) and DE is stacked as well, so he wasn't likely to get much, if any, playing time on D. He would probably be relegated to special teams if he stayed. Great kid, gave it his all, but just too many players ahead of him. Wish him the very best wherever he chooses to play.

Hate to see him go but I get it if he isn't going to see the field. Good luck to him. These sort of transfers are gonna be the new normal if Tennessee is going to be a good team. Folks got to learn not to take them personally.

Reactions: davethevol
This makes zero sense from any angle
Pili is ahead of him. And he's almost certainly been put behind the two sophomores Carter and Telander by now. Only a matter of time before Spillman is ahead of him as well.

So.. Makes perfect sense to me. Wish him well. I don't think he has the speed to play LB in the SEC. Could see him being a great fit for a mid level ACC or B10 team.

Edit

When you're getting passed up by lower classmen the writing is on the wall. Barring injury, he was not going to play here any more. This isn't a case of someone not waiting for their turn. His turn was not coming and he wants to be able to start somewhere, which he will almost certainly be able to do. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
i have never blamed a kid, who has 4 years to set himself up for a potential pro career or whatever is to come, to make whatever decision he feels is best for his future. if he feels that he is a possible NFL player (whether we agree with that or not) and thinks his last two years could be spent somewhere that will give him more of an opportunity to pursue that, either in coaching or a better path to playing time, then i say do what you have to. here is what i think some of the simpletons on here cannot get through their head, this is the new college football. you are going to have massive roster turnover every year. some of those players you lose will hurt, some will not. some of those you get will help and you will love, some will not. but it just how it is going to work for the forseable future, like it or not

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I heard on a sporttalk show yesterday that Herring may not have even completed the paperwork to enter the portal and that there have been ongoing discussions about him staying.

Reactions: WillisWG
That won't happen. Probably a mid-major where he would be a stud. Maybe UT Chattanooga.

On3's Steve Wiltfong reported that Herring will visit the Colorado Buffaloes on Friday. Wiltfong noted that Penn State and Pittsburgh are also involved, but Deion Sanders and company will get the first crack at his services.

Last edited:
I’m not that upset. I vividly remember screaming at the TV numerous times bc he was out of position, took a horrible angle, and/or was just slow and not athletic enough.

Reactions: FBtime

On3's Steve Wiltfong reported that Herring will visit the Colorado Buffaloes on Friday. Wiltfong noted that Penn State and Pittsburgh are also involved, but Deion Sanders and company will get the first crack at his services.
Colorado?

VN Store

Back