Elijah Herring to the portal

Telander made the kind of move this spring that I was really hoping to see Seldon make at RB. He brings a calm and command to that LB room and has the physical abilities to back it up. He sacked Nico twice during the spring game

Telander had 37 tackles last season as a true freshman and just became more of a leader with every opportunity. That’s why Carter is chopping at the bit to get back out there. Going through every rep he can without pads. Carter will be there soon

I think your “Top 4”
1) Telander
2) Pili/Carter
3) Spillman/ Kentucky kid
I think Carter will be every bit the stud we all expected…and yet he may not be the best linebacker on the team. Then you got Edwin Spillman waiting in the wings, plus guys like Smith and Perry for quality depth. Foreseeable future at lb looks very good. Very glad we have Pili this year as well, I think he’ll have a monster season.

Writing was on the wall for EH. He was likely 3rd on the depth chart at best and by next year would likely have been passed by Spillman as well. All the best to him academically and athletically.

Telander, Carter, and Spillman must’ve passed him up. oh well, hopefully lil bro caleb doesn’t leave
Maybe Smith too…Burns on the way….writing was in the wall…just hope his brother doesn’t follow suit

Mo money Mo money Mo money.
This move can not have anything to do with money. If we are being totally honest he hasn't played well enough for other schools to offer him more money. If I had to bet he is being passed on the depth chart. I just don't see another school coming after him at this point in his career.

Reactions: Stacmot
I honestly thought he would make a move to DE this season. I appreciate all he did last season but he wasn’t an SEC LB he was a step slow and Seemed to be out of position more times than not.

Best wishes to him in the future and hopefully he finds what he is looking for.

Reactions: Sarms58
I honestly thought he would make a move to DE this season. I appreciate all he did last season but he wasn’t an SEC LB he was a step slow and Seemed to be out of position more times than not.

Best wishes to him in the future and hopefully he finds what he is looking for.
Yeah hopefully wherever he ends up he bulks up a bit and puts hit hand in the dirt. It suits his skillset much better and is probably his best shot at playing professionally.

Reactions: Vol737 and Sarms58
They’ve ruined college football….
In some cases maybe. But this is the case of a good guy who got passed over by some top notch newcomers. He will likely move to another conference and do well. For me, this is an example of the portal working. Teams don’t guarantee playing time and players shouldn’t be trapped on a roster. One move to let teams and players make adjustments seems okay to me.

They’ve ruined college football….
You gotta let it play out for about 2 cycles or 10 years. Then you can look to see how it settles out, the ones now are sort of Guinea pigs for the future, unfortunately. So the portal/transfer etc.. will be scrutinized and adjust the game may suffer or you may see little of change in attendance & money making which is the bottom line.

In some cases maybe. But this is the case of a good guy who got passed over by some top notch newcomers. He will likely move to another conference and do well. For me, this is an example of the portal working. Teams don’t guarantee playing time and players shouldn’t be trapped on a roster. One move to let teams and players make adjustments seems okay to me.
Exactly. But it’s still going to hurt some people’s feelings

Anyone who is surprised by this isn't paying attention. Herring filled in last year and while he was good at racking up tackles, they were usually downfield a good bit. He lacked the athleticism to guard RBs out of the backfield. He was at least 3rd on the depth chart imo.

1. Kennan Pili 2. Jeremiah Telander 3. Kalib Perry
1. Arion Carter 2. Jalen Smith 3. Edwin Spillman

I hope I'm so wrong that even wrong is right. I recall one of our new position coaches saying no one if bigger than the program. If you think you are, we don't want you here. I hope this isn't the case with Elijah. I wouldn't be surprised if UT's culture fit program just doesn't anchor some players. Don't know why the guy is leaving, just hope it isn't due to self-centeredness. SIGH! With NIL, everybody has capitalistic fever.

No he was definitely going to play. Just not start.

We play 5-6 ILBs. Top 4 get 90% of the snaps.
And Telander and Ed Spillman are in that top 4
Along with Pili and Arion Carter
I think the issue with him was less that he wasn't going to start than how much he'd get to play. While Herring was missing the entire spring, Telander was passing him up at the Mike and looking like a stud doing it. Which means that Herring's fastest route to playing time would be the Will...where Carter starts, Jalen Smith has come on, and Spillman looks impressive. But also, the Will isn't really Herring's best position. So best case, Herring is 2nd string at the Will, but there was a decent chance he would've been 3rd string Mike or 3rd string Will behind Jalen Smith (who I think will impress this year).

VN Store

Back