Early Signing Day

I just posted this in another thread, but thought it more appropriate here.

I am not sure I believe the estimates I have seen that 2/3 - 3/4 of the class will be signed early -- unless it is heavily weighted to the bottom portion of the class. Except in spots where a school might fill their entire class in the early period (like Alabama?), I expect many higher rated recruits to sign later either to keep their options open or because they haven't decided yet. Although I don't expect many 18 year old football players to understand, an option can be valuable.

Reactions: 1 person
My impression from the press conference was that he thinks recruiting is extremely important, but he's not going to panic over the early signing date. He seemed to think that bringing in the wrong player is as significant as not getting a player that you want. "Worry about the ones you get, not the ones you don't get." He wants to be sure he gets the right fit.

He also seems to think that there will be plenty of good players available after the early signing date. He said he would work on recruiting until the dead period before going back to coach for the playoffs. We've seen action on the recruiting front. He's on it.
Good post. The right fit is important. Good chemistry will often beat better talent. But time is not on our side. We took too damn long chasing bad fits and firing incompetent people. But I think he knows how to recruit and better yet develop. Plus I’m glad to see UT finally ponying up the cash for a staff. We’ll see if he is worth his salt soon enough.

I am not sure I believe the estimates I have seen that 2/3 - 3/4 of the class will be signed early -- unless it is heavily weighted to the bottom portion of the class. Except in spots where a school might fill their entire class in the early period (like Alabama?), I expect many higher rated recruits to sign later either to keep their options open or because they haven't decided yet. Although I don't expect many 18 year old football players to understand, an option can be valuable.
And top recruits like another two months of attention

A winner looks at a challenge as an opportunity. I've watched Taylor play. I believe his UT ties Will lead him to The Hill. I would have Trey and Cade on each other's speed dial. The existing players need to step it up and help recruit. If they want bowls and championships, they need to grease the skids for bigger, better, and faster players.
Looks like Cade is headed to GA. Hope not. But he loves the attn too. So you never know. He may change his mind and look like a state hero. Who knows.

I’m thinking we could get the class back up to 10th overall by the time all recruits have signed and enrolled. Is that a bit high since we currently sit #27?? Maybe 10 is a bit high so more like 15th next year and hoping 10th or better in 2019 and by 2020 be top 5 overall??

It’s a pretty simple math equation really. Overwhelming majority of national recruits are 3 stars or less. There are much fewer 4 star recruits, only a fraction the number of 3 stars. There are only 32 or so 5 stars each recruiting cycle. So yes, many, probably most of the higher rated players will wait until February.....while the majority of lower rated recruits will go ahead and secure their spots in December. So thinking that 67-80% of players, 17-20 players per class, will sign in December is likely a pretty good guess imo.

Ive heard a lot of speculation on different sports radio networks that many think somewhere between 70 & 80% will sign on early date. Because one of the big reasons for moving the date was pulling offer from player after landing bigger fish.

Ive heard a lot of speculation on different sports radio networks that many think somewhere between 70 & 80% will sign on early date. Because one of the big reasons for moving the date was pulling offer from player after landing bigger fish.
Seems like a pretty high percentage for the new coach to not be concerned about, but hey what do I know?

Coaches are not all uniform on how they are handling early signing. Some coaches are telling players if they dont sign early, then they will move onto another player. Some are asking for when they intend to sign? Some are pressuring others laying off. This is a whole new era of recruiting. There will be much to learn for next year. We will see more juniors sign and early enrolments

You're trying to sugar coat what is a tough situation for Pruitt. He is fresh on the UT job while still preparing the Alabama defense for a playoff run, and the early signing date is 11 days away.

And the general consensus is a majority of high school players will sign in the early signing period. Like the guy above said your analogy misses the mark completely.

SEC recruiting is in disarray because of all the coaching changes. Expect many recruits to wait.

Coach Pruitt will have to evaluate each recruit to see if said recruit fits [is usable] in the style of offense and defense that will be run. I am certain that some of Butch's recruits will not fit [work] in Pruitt's system, and I am certain that some of Butch's recruits will not be mentally or physically tough enough for Pruitt. No need of wasting a scholarship on a recruit that will never play.

Coach Pruitt said in the press conference he had requirements for every position, so I don't expect a lot out of this early signing class. However, I do see much more intense recruiting happening with many more 4 and 5* recruits for the February signing class.

He won't have to evaluate each recruit. He has already seen many of them. Remember he is coming from the SEC, not the PAC 10.

If you are truly elite, you will sign early in the Dec. 20-22 window if you’re committed, especially if you can be an Early Enrollee. If you’re the #1 RB Prospect, and you want to play for Coach Richt, nothing’s going to change that situation now.

Available talent pool shrinks, and the strong get stronger.

Now the pressure’s on the coaches. Who wants to come and what roster needs do you have?

300lb linemen who have quick burst speed do not grow on trees (Except in Texas).

UT’s Unique Selling Proposition (USP) beyond the storied tradition (Not one of these kids was alive in 1998), Top 10 Facilities (CFB’s Arms Race), and Conference affiliation (13 other places to learn to go pro), is the Charismatic HC JP & Staff, plus the chance to contribute immediately on an underperforming team. The current team members know that they were recruited to replace their elders, and the same natural process is repeating itself. The difference is that the current team members have not earned any coaching staff loyalty/equity yet.

If I was not recruited by Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc., I would listen to UT because my best chance to play immediately might be residing at Stokely Hall in 2018.

1/2/18 until the signing period is crucial. We are going to get what we were always going to get in December anyway.

Clock’s ticking...

I’m thinking we could get the class back up to 10th overall by the time all recruits have signed and enrolled. Is that a bit high since we currently sit #27?? Maybe 10 is a bit high so more like 15th next year and hoping 10th or better in 2019 and by 2020 be top 5 overall??

Rivals now has us down to #42. We will be lucky to hit the top #25

The only problem with the early signing period is that players that were lost we have very little chance of getting back as they sign with someone else.
I still think we'll have a very good class wish we could've had times to get Mays back. He and Trey Smith on that OL together make a huge difference in this team.

Ok I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say after NSD we should be around 13-14 overall....that would be a huge jump from 27th....Pruitt is a great recruiter and I can almost guarantee we gonna see results on signing day!

I get the feeling the only schools that get many big time signees early will be schools like OSU Bama and Clemson

The rest of us will have most of our best commits wait till February

247 had an article the other day and they thought 75-80% of total prospects will be off the board after the early signing period.

You're trying to sugar coat what is a tough situation for Pruitt. He is fresh on the UT job while still preparing the Alabama defense for a playoff run, and the early signing date is 11 days away.

And the general consensus is a majority of high school players will sign in the early signing period. Like the guy above said your analogy misses the mark completely.

Imo, I think the only ones who sign early are the ones who are already totally committed to that particular school, which you would not get anyway. I feel the rest of early signees will be more like the 3 star players; or those who are afraid they may lose a scholarship if they don't sign early, in other words sign now and have the comitment from the school. The 4 and 5 star players will wait till later to sign. Of course this is just my opinion.

There's no way. They probably meant 70 to 80 percent of early enrollees.

You think 80% of D1 players all up and decided to graduate early?

There is no way that's true.

There's no way. They probably meant 70 to 80 percent of early enrollees.

You think 80% of D1 players all up and decided to graduate early?

There is no way that's true.

Dude you don't even know the rules... You don't have to be an early enrollee to sign in December...Geez:crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
The past 10 years of UT Football.

Seeing how time is shorter than normal and it is CJP’s first year, I’m thinking juco players may be a smart use of time. You have a larger sample of film against better competition and the players are likely more motivated to commit to the program and deliver sooner, especially at QB.

VN Store

Back