(EARLY) Name your Top 10 6A Teams, and who do you think will win State?

They handled Smyrna well-enough. Defense should be much better this year.

Yup, the double-header is true. At Maryville this year. Cleveland/Aloca then Maryville/Webb. Week 0.

I thought Alcoa was more talented than Smyrna, but that's just my opinion. You make a good point, nonetheless.

I couldn't remember who the teams were. Both games should be fun to watch, although I expect Blount County to take care of business.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I thought Alcoa was more talented than Smyrna, but that's just my opinion. You make a good point, nonetheless.

I couldn't remember who the teams were. Both games should be fun to watch, although I expect Blount County to take care of business.

If Maryville had played Alcoa in Week 10 and not week 0 I think they could have beaten them because the defense was drastically better by that point. But, it is what it is and when they played Alcoa was the better team.

The games were initially going to be some type of combo of Brentwood Academy/MBA/Ensworth (I forget), but they wanted a return trip in 2012 for Clinic Bowl in Nashville. Great game for great cause, but Maryville & Alcoa are trying to get a annual kickoff game here and it just wouldn't work out.

If Maryville had played Alcoa in Week 10 and not week 0 I think they could have beaten them because the defense was drastically better by that point. But, it is what it is and when they played Alcoa was the better team.

The games were initially going to be some type of combo of Brentwood Academy/MBA/Ensworth (I forget), but they wanted a return trip in 2012 for Clinic Bowl in Nashville. Great game for great cause, but Maryville & Alcoa are trying to get a annual kickoff game here and it just wouldn't work out.

I was going to say that I thought I heard MBA and Ensworth tossed around.

Maryville should have beaten Alcoa week 0. No excuse for giving up that 4th down conversion/td. But, like you said, it is what it is. I also agree that MHS would have gotten them later in the year.

I was going to say that I thought I heard MBA and Ensworth tossed around.

Maryville should have beaten Alcoa week 0. No excuse for giving up that 4th down conversion/td. But, like you said, it is what it is. I also agree that MHS would have gotten them later in the year.

I was actually out of town last year and didn't get to go.

However, the 2009 game was one of the better butt-whippings I've ever seen in high school football. Alcoa put up 400 yards on the ground and didn't attempt a pass. They were unstoppable.

I was actually out of town last year and didn't get to go.

However, the 2009 game was one of the better butt-whippings I've ever seen in high school football. Alcoa put up 400 yards on the ground and didn't attempt a pass. They were unstoppable.

You missed one hell of a game.

I attended the 09 game as well. Cannot remember anybody completely dominating MHS like that in my recent memory. It was also my first MHS/AHS game, and I came away impressed.

Jefferson County. I know this will shock some but here's why...For years the team has been under coached. From around the time Coach Kisabeth started resting on his laurels to all the homer coaches who were parade as the next coming of kisabeth. The talent has been spotty over the years because the players are very football savy starting at an early age and will not play or sign up for a "lacking coach". Jefferson County has one of the best Pee-wee, midget or grade school programs in the state and are well coached at this level. They know football and have not bought into the hype of any coach and is well know for being responsible of the ouster of a Coach or to sometimes for within the team to the student population and another from the population into the football team certain kids\their parents and lets not forget the political structure of a system designed to fail. I could go on but the reason are multiple and apparent.

The reason for the return. We scarfed one of the best Def. coordinators\Ass. Coaches in the state. Kenny Cobble out of Chatt. Red Bank. If for no other reason the weight room they will be strong and the whole of the school has bought in. They are no longer a fragmented society. I think they surprise a lot of people this year.

I read the first paragraph 10 times and still have no clue what you said.

The problem with Jeff County is simple, lack of talent. No coach could have coached the last 3 or 4 teams very far. TN high school football is usually won when a team has a superstar. Jeff County hasn't had anything close to a star.

I know Coach Anderson personally and I think he is a great guy. He loved being the coach at Jeff County. He had passion for it. With that being said, it was time to go. No matter how good the new coach is, he won't win unless the talent improves.

What is crazy is that with the population at the school, top 3 in TN or something like that, they should be perennial winners.

Maryville High School if qb is back. Alcoa if they changed divisions. Riverdale probably choke. Blackman with Shadowens always in contention. As for my Smyrna Bulldogs, I suppose a play off birth would be huge this season.

The problem with Jeff County is simple, lack of talent. No coach could have coached the last 3 or 4 teams very far. TN high school football is usually won when a team has a superstar. Jeff County hasn't had anything close to a star.

I know Coach Anderson personally and I think he is a great guy. He loved being the coach at Jeff County. He had passion for it. With that being said, it was time to go. No matter how good the new coach is, he won't win unless the talent improves.

What is crazy is that with the population at the school, top 3 in TN or something like that, they should be perennial winners.

There is some talent in Jefferson County. I just don't know if there is enough talent. I really hope the new coach can turn things around.

#3 dobyns bennett we are all the way this year! coach Clark has a chip on his shoulder :rock:

Last edited:

No Clue?

Read it s-l-o-w-e-r. Jefferson County has Talent it however is not translating to the high school level and for the reasons you do not understand.

DB will choke before they get to a Rutherford County team, if they don't they'll get absolutely embarassed. Sorry

I appreciate the face that DB has beaten exactly ONE team from west of Jeff Co. in the playoffs since 2005.

That said, maybe a Rutherford Co. team will actually beat Maryville one day.
:)

No Clue?

Read it s-l-o-w-e-r. Jefferson County has Talent it however is not translating to the high school level and for the reasons you do not understand.

Reading slower does no good when sentences make zero sense. How about using periods, commas and not using run on sentences?

Considering I coach down in Jefferson County, and know many coaches down there, I'd say I'm more informed than you think.

Reading slower does no good when sentences make zero sense. How about using periods, commas and not using run on sentences?

Considering I coach down in Jefferson County, and know many coaches down there, I'd say I'm more informed than you think.

A coach and an english major. I would say you have more understanding than your are admitting to.

They will not win until talent improves.

Coach Anderson landed at a good spot. Catholic normally fields a good team.

Catholic's talent is seriously depleted. Vic Wharton left for CPA with his dad while they lost several seniors. Coulter is probably their best player. Meadows is going to earn his paycheck.

Last edited:
As long as GQ and his staff are at Maryville the Rebels will compete for titles. That is the best coaching staff I ever seen at the High School level.

I wish Quarles would take a college job, to see what he can do on that level.

VN Store

Back