Dual threat QB has design problems

Me too. But I definitely prefer the QB on those inside zone reads where the keep goes outside vs those Wildcat type runs where he ends up keeping it up the middle. It's great when they work, but there's a lot of hits inside.

Dobbs' run right before halftime against USCe when he went right up the middle was a run I think you'd accept right? I think that worked out just fine. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Seriously?

We complain about Worely and his inability to move around and get away from sacks. Then people complain that a mobile QB is more likely to get hurt.

Geez guys. Come on.

Or start threads about winning the Heisman trophy or redefining the QB position at Tennessee..

Tee martin says hello on being DT QB at UT and knowing how to use those skills at the right time in a game... that is the key knowing when to run and when to just be a passer.. not many DT QB's can

The QB position has evolved across the nation from Oregon, Auburn, Miss State, and even Northern Illinois. Now TN is forced to run option the QB because of an inconsistent offensive line rather than by design on most plays. This can only lead to a greater chance of injury to the team's most valuable position. Three NFL teams have dual-threat QBs and it's probably for a reason.

Yet out offensive line has been at its best without a pocket passer qb in the huddle.

Seriously?

We complain about Worely and his inability to move around and get away from sacks. Then people complain that a mobile QB is more likely to get hurt.

Geez guys. Come on.

Welcome to Volnation. The legion of the miserable.

Reactions: 2 people
I find it weird how the babble of one confused and clueless fan is associated with the condition of Volnation as a whole.

Reactions: 3 people
OP, Condredge Holloway, Jimmy Streeter, Tony Robinson, Heath Shuler and Tee Martin all say "Hello"! I promise you, there is zero problem with having a dual threat QB in college football.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's more than 3 dual threat qbs in the NFL...
Kaepernick
Wilson
RG3
Rodgers
Luck
Foles
Vick
Gino
Newton
Locker
Manziel
Alex Smith
Bortles
Manuel
Plus big Ben can be pretty elusive when he wants to be.

I remember a kid from FLA named Tebow that was called a dual threat QB in college, though I would submit his passing ability wasn't much of a threat.

And I think if he stuck with it he could have been a mighty fine strong safety in the NFL!

It wasn't as bad as you think:

2007- 3286 yards, 32 TD's, 6 Ints.
2008- 2736 yards, 30 TD's, 4 Ints.
2009- 2895 yards, 21 TD's, 5 Ints.

Tebow is the perfect example of what may work in college isn't necessarily a good fit for the pros.

Kaepernick
Wilson
RG3
Rodgers
Luck
Foles
Vick
Gino
Newton
Locker
Manziel
Alex Smith
Bortles
Manuel

Lmao.. My gma is more mobile than Foles

The QB position has evolved across the nation from Oregon, Auburn, Miss State, and even Northern Illinois. Now TN is forced to run option the QB because of an inconsistent offensive line rather than by design on most plays. This can only lead to a greater chance of injury to the team's most valuable position. Three NFL teams have dual-threat QBs and it's probably for a reason.

We are now beginning to run out of topics to create controversy. I am so glad that you are privy to the "new" playbook that the staff has put together. It really doesn't matter what happens (win, lose, draw, forfeit, run screaming out of the stadium) SOMEONE on this site is going to bring up something to bring a negative slant on the team/coaches/trainers/fans/groundskeepers!!!! WHY? This fanbase has become so schizophrenic that it is impossible to accept ANYTHING positive without analysing it to death.

What in our offensive scheme makes you think the run plays by Dobbs are not by design? There are scrambles on pass plays every now and then sure, but as a whole the offense is set up to be run by a player like Dobbs......

:blink:

90% of Dobbs runs were by design. QB draw plays.

There were 7 QBs in the NFL last year with at least 377 rushing yards, which included Andrew Luck and Alex Smith, and Andrew Luck actually averaged 6 yards a carry, the 2nd most by a QB. I think the NFL tried a lot of designed runs with Newton and Griffin, but if you notice, they have like 800 rushing yards in 2012, then dropped off to around 500 in 2013, now on pace for even less. What I see in the NFL, is they will do a flood to one side of the field, either they bring guys across to cover and leave a side open for the QB run, or they play man-down against the WRs. This is getting picked up on, and they are using a lot of nickelbacks/fast cover-LBs to play QB spy or Zone pass. A fast cover LB that is good against the run is much harder to find in the NCAA than the NFL.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Geez guys. Come on.

This guy's really starting to confuse me. So, who are you gonna cheer for next weekend, LittleCat?

Just go ahead and make the leap man, you're a better UT fan than a large sum of the ppl claiming to be on this site.

Kaepernick
Wilson
RG3
Rodgers
Luck
Foles
Vick
Gino
Newton
Locker
Manziel
Alex Smith
Bortles
Manuel

Guess I should have read the second page before I posted lol.

The dual threat QBs who make it in the pros for a long time are the smart ones. Sliding, getting out of bounds is crucial.

Dobbs' run right before halftime against USCe when he went right up the middle was a run I think you'd accept right? I think that worked out just fine. :thumbsup:

Definitely a thing of beauty and a gutsy playcall with the clock moving.

It looks like this post has been almost 100% dismantled in less than one page. But, for the sake of being thorough ...

OP, I'm not sure how old you are, but did you ever watch college football in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s? Contrary to the belief of some Oregon did not invent "QB option football".

There have been a laundry list of successful QBs in college that with their wheels got teams where we want to be. Not everyone won by being Peyton Manning or Dan Marino.

Some names off the top of my head to research ...
Jeff Rutledge - UA
Tommie Frazier - OU
Scott Frost - UN
Jamelle Holieway - OU
Eric Crouch - UN
Pat Sullivan - AU
Billy Cannon - LSU
Andre Ware - UH
Donovan Mcnabb - SU
Jack Mildren - OU
Major Harris - WVU
Darian Hagan - CU
Tony Robinson - UT
Heath Shuler - UT

Kaepernick
Wilson
RG3
Rodgers
Luck
Foles
Vick
Gino
Newton
Locker
Manziel
Alex Smith
Bortles
Manuel

You obviously don't know the difference between pocket passers and a dual threat passers.

Reactions: 2 people
This guy's really starting to confuse me. So, who are you gonna cheer for next weekend, LittleCat?

Just go ahead and make the leap man, you're a better UT fan than a large sum of the ppl claiming to be on this site.

I'll be in blue come gameday, but I might have a UT shirt beside me in case we come out bad :)

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back