Doug Matthews show today

Every tree has bad fruit from time to time!
He alluded to the fact that he has "heard" Marrone may have interest in the position.
No doubt Doug did not tell what he really knows. What I took from it was a public lobbying effort that this decision must made after a concerted effort/search that includes more people than just the Haslams. Mentioned Charles Davis should be involved, as well as Peyton and Phil. Be like Doug Dickey, Currie; not like the last two ADs.

.....also....Stoops is retired. Not coaching again.

Doug Marrone is a current freaking head coach for an NFL team. This is just foolish.....

That leaves some of the others Mathews mentioned and any of those would make me very depressed to be honest. Lousy choices

Why is that? Marrone coached at UT for 1 season, wife is from Tennessee and I'm sure he knows some of the lyrics to Rocky Top so it looks like he has the same qualifications as Jon Gruden. Well, with the exception that Marrone has actually been a college coach recently and is still in the profession unlike someone else.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we better start looking at who the top college and pro coordinators are and who would even consider walking out of their zones of safety into a pressure cooker of a job.............this one may turn out to be a lot tougher than ole Currie thought it would be.....
What will happen if he has to back up on his EARLY HIRE BY date.........
I dont know if he did say that but if he did it may not have been smart..
Unless he knew of someone ahead of time

I would take Marrone is a heartbeat because he can coach. Why in the world would he leave Jacksonville though for us after just being named the full-time HC and actually turning them into a competitive team?

Reactions: 4 people
First off Gruden was not mentioned
Secondly he continues to lobby heavily for independent informed judgments by John Currie in making the hire
Timetable that we are telling recruits is around December 10
He would make Bob stoops and Jimbo Fisher say no. Then his list becomes Gary Patterson Doug marrone. Coach cut. Will muschamp And rather than reach for a coach outside of a power five he would look for an assistant that knows the league and is defense minded like Jeremy Pruitt orKevin Steele.
Cut and Muschamp? If Muschamp couldn't win at Florida, he won't here

Reactions: 3 people
Coaching list of guys not named Gruden:

Tier 1- Patterson, Frost, Campbell, Peterson(I think We have better chances getting JG than this guy though).

Tier 2-Mullen, Fuente, Kiffin(Call me crazy but that guy would surround himself with the right people, and could prob do good things here)

Tier 3- We are in trouble

Reactions: 2 people
As head coaches turn the Tennessee job down ONCE AGAIN Curry has no choice but to look other places.....it is embarrassing but that is where we are...
Your going to try to hire away a great coordinator or trying to get the best Head Coach that is not P5

How do you know anyone's been offered the job? Probably no one! Jeez

As head coaches turn the Tennessee job down ONCE AGAIN Curry has no choice but to look other places.....it is embarrassing but that is where we are...
Your going to try to hire away a great coordinator or trying to get the best Head Coach that is not P5

Pretty much spot on unfortunately

Coaching list of guys not named Gruden:

Tier 1- Patterson, Frost, Campbell, Peterson(I think We have better chances getting JG than this guy though).

Tier 2-Mullen, Fuente, Kiffin(Call me crazy but that guy would surround himself with the right people, and could prob do good things here)

Tier 3- We are in trouble

1) Bring back Dooley.

2) Bring back Butch.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back