Doug Marrone

I agree he is in running to be NFL COTY.

I don’t think he is as interested as some might think but Money talks.

Also as some said if he prefers the College game, it really helps.

Harbaugh was a successful NFL coach but chose to go back to the college game.

Harbaugh got huge money to coach his alma mater. Totally different from a guy leaving the nfl to go to college he has no past connection to.

Harbaugh got huge money to coach his alma mater. Totally different from a guy leaving the nfl to go to college he has no past connection to.

Not that I think he would leave the NFL when having success there, but he used to be our OL coach back when Fulmer was here, that is the connection.

Why would this guy leave a 7-3 team in the NFL to come to Tennessee? Even if he did, the Jags are likely going to the playoffs this year (shocking, but still)...this would mean he'd start at Tennessee after the new year. There's no way he'd quit before that.

Why would this guy leave a 7-3 team in the NFL to come to Tennessee? Even if he did, the Jags are likely going to the playoffs this year (shocking, but still)...this would mean he'd start at Tennessee after the new year. There's no way he'd quit before that.

Could ask a very similar question about Chucky :pilot:

I'll tell you right now Doug and Johnny Harbaugh are not afraid of Saban AT ALL. Gruden on the other hand is if he doesn't take the job.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll tell you right now Doug and Johnny Harbaugh are not afraid of Saban AT ALL. Gruden on the other hand is if he doesn't take the job.

Neither Doug nor John will be the next head coach at the University of Tennessee. I'm not an insider...it just doesn't make any sense to believe either would give up NFL jobs mid season to become the head coach of a college team (regardless of how great we feel TN is).

Ain't gonna happen for a dumpster fire repair job when he's winning at the highest level. Very laughable to compare his situation to Harbaugh too because Harbaugh was at odds with his front office ppl and Marone is no where close to that.

Last edited:
His name keeps popping up here and there. Reportedly loves Knoxville, UT and the college game. Helluva OL coach. Knows the SEC and can point to the NFL which would carry weight with recruits....specifically Cade Mayes. Can't find his contract number, but the Jags paid his predecessor 3.5 Mil. He was due 4 mil from his previous NFL job. High character guy who has a tough, no nonsense, hard nosed attitude. Only question I can't answer is what kind of recruiter he was when at UT.

From all I've read on him, he looks like he'd be an excellent fit. Best of all and unlike Gruden, he appears to favor the college game vs the NFL. Sure looks like he fits our price point, too. We can and have done much worse.

What price point? You're trying to sell Marone on "We can and have done much worse" ? No thanks.

Why is is so hard to imagine a coach leaving one program for another?

Yeah, it's like everybody that's mentioned the pat response is " ------ is NOT coming to UT. Why would he". It's like some fans have an inferiority complex, i.e. nobody would want to coach a team I support. Well somebody will leave a program for us and will be an upgrade for them.

Problem is there have been zero reports of Marrone or Harbaugh mentioning Tennessee.

It's never someone we expect. Dooley? Butch?

As for why he'd come, the NFL is going through a rough stretch. College ball is more popular and more stable. I think it comes down to the job and which you'd prefer more. If Gruden prefers the NFL, why is it so hard to think a guy might enjoy college ball to the NFL? At this point, I'd turn over every rock and kick every tire. If the rumors of 10 mil per year for Gruden are accurate, I'd make Marrone an offer that would make him think long and hard about it.

Are we just naming random coaches now? He is pretty much a shoe-in to be NFL COTY and you think he would leave that and come to UT? Lol

I remember growing and thinking everyone was a vols fan and wanted to live in knoxville like me. When i turned 4 i was shocked to find out it wasnt true.

Reactions: 1 person
No. Heard several people who have said he wanted the job 5 years ago, that he was the guy if Sgt Carter hadn’t said yes. He’s coached at Tennessee before, has ties to the state (father in law is Boots Donnelly of MTSU). Mathews has talked him up. Timing is the issue with him since he’s an nfl guy.

He'd probably be a solid hire

left Buffalo after a winning season leaving many in the media puzzled, might
have been an owner problem. The guy is a good coach but to be a success on
the college at UT? who knows?

VN Store

Back