Dormady Time?

I'm not sure. Dobb's kept TN in that game with his legs and was the most valuable offensive weapon. Our OL would have crumbled with a "pocket passer". Dormady isn't slow, but can't escape like Dobbs.

It's saddening to see so much WR talent wasted right now.

Sort of... you could argue that Dobbs' kept UT in it or you could argue that the lack of a true passing threat kept UF in it. You could also argue that Dobbs' ability to escape causes him to leave the pocket too soon rather than letting plays develop.

Dobbs doesn't manage the pocket well. I like him...but this is just a fact. He takes off at the first sign of pressure rather than moving around inside the pocket.

Dormady seems to already find receivers and deliver the ball quicker than Dobbs. On a couple of occasions, he has stepped up into the pocket to make a throw. I think that was the case on his long completion to Williams vs WCU. He bought time in the pocket to let Williams get deep.

Reactions: 2 people
Sort of... you could argue that Dobbs' kept UT in it or you could argue that the lack of a true passing threat kept UF in it. You could also argue that Dobbs' ability to escape causes him to leave the pocket too soon rather than letting plays develop.

Dobbs doesn't manage the pocket well. I like him...but this is just a fact. He takes off at the first sign of pressure rather than moving around inside the pocket.

Dormady seems to already find receivers and deliver the ball quicker than Dobbs. On a couple of occasions, he has stepped up into the pocket to make a throw. I think that was the case on his long completion to Williams vs WCU. He bought time in the pocket to let Williams get deep.

Pocket...what pocket? The one time Dobbs stayed in the pocket in the 1st qtr he got de-cleated and was lucky to hold onto the ball. Quick bubble screens or Dobbs rolling out is the only hope for the passing game. Sitting in the pocket will only result in sacks, fumbles and Dobbs out for the season.

Pocket...what pocket? The one time Dobbs stayed in the pocket in the 1st qtr he got de-cleated and was lucky to hold onto the ball. Quick bubble screens or Dobbs rolling out is the only hope for the passing game. Sitting in the pocket will only result in sacks, fumbles and Dobbs out for the season.

Ya he got rocked because he held the ball forever and should of seen that guy coming in the first place. The O line fine. When every team stacks the box and brings pressure every play, there is going to be pressure on the QB. Dobbs is not a good pocket passer. It's hard to block 7-8 with 5-6.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs threw one maybe two pass that didn't hit the receivers in the hands. The only thing suspect on this team is the OLine and Receivers, They are playing horrible. If I am Dobbs i will risk it with my legs rather than watching another 3 and out because a receiver can't catch a ball in the hands.
Dobbs doesn't manage the pocket well and bails out too soon when there's pressure.

The scheme also doesn't help. He basically sets up in the same spot on every passing down field passing play... it makes him an easy target.

If it wasn't for Ethan Wolf, Dobbs wouldn't have completed many passes at all. Dobbs isn't teh problem, therefore Dormady isn't the solution.
Dobbs could well NOT be the problem but Dormady still the solution. With a "great" OL, maybe Dobbs doesn't get pressured as much or trusts the pocket more. But with this OL he does.

Dormady doesn't abandon the pocket as readily. He steps into the pocket more readily... and he gets the ball out.

Again, I like Dobbs but another thing I pointed out before the season began is that he doesn't anticipate well in the passing game. He can throw to open receivers but seldom throws a receiver open. He has an accurate arm but somehow fails to lead receivers and locate passes well often.

Reactions: 3 people

Instead of spouting, go back and watch the games then watch a few QB's that DO manage the pocket well.

You are simply wrong. I like Dobbs. I like his skills. But his flaws seem to match exactly wrong to the OL's flaws. He doesn't manage a pocket well... and they need a QB who does.

Ya he got rocked because he held the ball forever and should of seen that guy coming in the first place. The O line fine. When every team stacks the box and brings pressure every play, there is going to be pressure on the QB. Dobbs is not a good pocket passer. It's hard to block 7-8 with 5-6.

I'm not even mad that he stayed in the pocket. I'm mad that he had no clue that the defender was coming right at him from the front. Twice. It wasn't like it was his blind side, it was right in front of his face. He has an engineer's mind that thinks systematically, but no feel for it. If he even took a step forward before being flattened, I wouldn't be saying this. But he had absolutely no clue.

The last thing we need right now is a qb controversy. Anytime things go wrong, almost everyone looks to the backup qb. When things don't look right, he is always the best player for the job. Butch would lose this team completely if he removed Dobbs at this point in time, even a part time move. The players would quit on the team. Dobbs is their leader and it is best to let him play without even making such silly suggestions as removing him even for a few plays.

The last thing we need right now is a qb controversy. Anytime things go wrong, almost everyone looks to the backup qb. When things don't look right, he is always the best player for the job. Butch would lose this team completely if he removed Dobbs at this point in time, even a part time move. The players would quit on the team. Dobbs is their leader and it is best to let him play without even making such silly suggestions as removing him even for a few plays.

Urban does it all the time and it gets results. Play to your strengths and do whatever it takes to win. If that means using two QBs then do it. This is big time football, these players should be able to handle it. It's all about winning, not making sure nobody gets their feelings hurt.

When a guy shows blitz and comes like a bat out of heii and the QB does not make him pay on that play, you give him permission to keep doing it.

I don't know if we don't have releases for the backs or WR when blitzs occur or whether Dobbs doesn't recognize it, but until you make them pay it won't stop. Why would it?

When a guy shows blitz and comes like a bat out of heii and the QB does not make him pay on that play, you give him permission to keep doing it.

I don't know if we don't have releases for the backs or WR when blitzs occur or whether Dobbs doesn't recognize it, but until you make them pay it won't stop. Why would it?

Well Butch's solution is to run a draw or read to Hurd that takes 5 minutes to develop instead of a slant.

I would agree with this and did not post anything about this after Oklahoma, but after the Florida game does anyone doubt that every D coordinator in FBS is going to load the box and bring 6 or 8 until we figure out how to pass to beat a blitz?

We have to scheme to allow Dobbs to defeat the blitz. If he can't execute then it's time to make a change. If he can execute we should see the change in the next game. Either change the play call or change the player. We can't be one dimensional or it will result in more injuries and more losses.

Edit: And while I get the sentiment about the team, if the problem is Dobbs can't do it and Dormady can then I don't agree it will be a problem.

Last edited:

Nothing at all against Dobbs. It isn't controversial to play the guy who gives you the best shot to win. Jones preaches that... and his players accept it.

In his last year at Cincy, Jones started the season with Munchie Legaux as his QB. Highly mobile. Decent numbers but inconsistent in the passing game. They were 6-2... and Jones replaced him Kay who was more effective and consistent.

Not sure why you think having a guy who can improve the passing game (if in fact he can) would be more likely to cause the team and particularly the WR's to "quit" more so than continuing to have the problems we've seen so far.

Dobbs completed two passes to WR's last Saturday. I'm sorry. That simply isn't good enough to win games in the SEC.

And no, it isn't all on the OL or WR's. UT doesn't have the worst or least experienced OL in the SEC much less the country. They certainly have talent at WR. I'm not laying blame on Dobbs alone but what he does well isn't matching well to the other 10 guys to make the passing O go right now. Hopefully it changes... but they can't keep losing games because of it if not.

Come on - enough is enough. Our passing issues are not because of the Oline and receivers. Dobbs is as much of the reason as everything else. He missed Josh Smith on a key play that likely scores. Also, he had a 7 yard crossing route to Pearson that he threw behind him that would have been a first down. He wasn't under pressure in either pass.

I realize you are a huge Dobbs fan and I'm not saying bench him, but let's be honest here. Dobbs is a leader and makes a huge impact with his legs, but his passing is not up to par. He gives us the best chance to win right now, but we better fix the passing game or the losses will continue.

He threw it a little high to Josh Smith but it still was a very catchable ball. It HIT HIM IN THE HANDS!! IT was North he threw behind and it still hit him in the hands, the pearson ball was right out in front of him he was covered by the defender but then again it hit him in the hands. There wasn't many time he wasn't under some pressure. Dobbs isn't the problem, It is that he has all the pressure on him alone because the OLine sucks at pass block it is downright horrible, I would venture to say that the receivers have had more drops this year by far than last, They are horrible.

It is easy to place the blame on Dobbs i get it, but he isn't the problem and Dormady wouldn't be much better of a situation this was Florida not Western Carolina. Dobbs is the Only reason we were in the game at all at Florida!!! The Only reason!!! Hurd had a good game but only because Dobbs opened up the field for him by running the ball. Get real Dobbs goes so goes our season.

Just posted in one of the other Dormady threads... I think whether you want to see him in the game or not wont matter much. The way Dobbs had to carry us in the Florida game, his body took a beating. I don't want anyone getting hurt, but odds are against him if we have to have him play that way much more. So whether you want Dobbs or Dormady, Dormady is a real possibility of things continue the way they are going.

He threw it a little high to Josh Smith but it still was a very catchable ball. It HIT HIM IN THE HANDS!! IT was North he threw behind and it still hit him in the hands, the pearson ball was right out in front of him he was covered by the defender but then again it hit him in the hands. There wasn't many time he wasn't under some pressure. Dobbs isn't the problem, It is that he has all the pressure on him alone because the OLine sucks at pass block it is downright horrible, I would venture to say that the receivers have had more drops this year by far than last, They are horrible.

It is easy to place the blame on Dobbs i get it, but he isn't the problem and Dormady wouldn't be much better of a situation this was Florida not Western Carolina. Dobbs is the Only reason we were in the game at all at Florida!!! The Only reason!!! Hurd had a good game but only because Dobbs opened up the field for him by running the ball. Get real Dobbs goes so goes our season.
He did not hit either player in the hands. He threw the ball inaccurately and they could not make the play even with all their ability. Were the balls catchable? Yes. Were they good passes? No, not even close.

I agree with you that the reason we were in the game was because of Dobbs play. But I don't agree that he is an a good or even average passer, he isn't. The coaches know it and so does every D coordinator. Refusing to acknowledge it won't change it.

Edit: "Hitting someone in the hands" says they did not have to break stride; not true, which is not only the problem with Dobbs, it's why our WR don't have catches and why our coaches don't want to throw downfield.

Last edited:
Dobbs doesn't manage the pocket well and bails out too soon when there's pressure.

The scheme also doesn't help. He basically sets up in the same spot on every passing down field passing play... it makes him an easy target.

Dobbs could well NOT be the problem but Dormady still the solution. With a "great" OL, maybe Dobbs doesn't get pressured as much or trusts the pocket more. But with this OL he does.

Dormady doesn't abandon the pocket as readily. He steps into the pocket more readily... and he gets the ball out.

Again, I like Dobbs but another thing I pointed out before the season began is that he doesn't anticipate well in the passing game. He can throw to open receivers but seldom throws a receiver open. He has an accurate arm but somehow fails to lead receivers and locate passes well often.

Neither QB can succedd if the Receivers are not getting open. And if you listen to any sports writer in town they are saying the same thing, there is no receiver open down field 95% of the time. Dobbs singlehandly kept us in the Florida Game. No one else, the defense even look bad alot. It would have been a 21 point loss instead of 1 if Dobbs hadn't played. Dormady is a good athlete but he wouldn't have take that pass from J. Jennings to the House, but Dobbs did. The QB position isn't broken, so why would Dormady need to fix it?

The problem is they didn't bring 7-8 on that sack, They brought maybe 6. The end ran right by Brent Kendrick who everyone claimed was so much better than Coleman Thomas at RT but has been a week link all year. IT was bad protection not Dobbs inability to scramble. The OLine and Receivers are Horrible with every few exceptions.

Maybe with Debord's "experience" we can just run the veer from here on out. If the passing game continues to be nonexistent why would a qb switch seem so far fetched?

the option is essentially a veer without the fb. they are still not blocking the DE and reading him.

He did not hit either player in the hands. He threw the ball inaccurately and they could not make the play even with all their ability. Were the balls catchable? Yes. Were they good passes? No, not even close.

I agree with you that the reason we were in the game was because of Dobbs play. But I don't agree that he is an a good or even average passer, he isn't. The coaches know it and so does every D coordinator. Refusing to acknowledge it won't change it.

Edit: "Hitting someone in the hands" says they did not have to break stride; not true, which is not only the problem with Dobbs, it's why our WR don't have catches and why our coaches don't want to throw downfield.

I am not sure what receivers you have been watching but we don't have all that Talent that you are assuming. Our receivers have been a week link on this team all year. They have consistantly dropped wide open passes as well as a lot of catchable balls. Receivers is a week spot it has been for years now, None of these receivers have lived up to any of their hype. Not a single one!!! North, Croom, J. Smith, J. Malone, V. Pearson Pig Howard who should be the least linkely to be the top receiver has let the team 2 years in a row. We haven't had a 1000 yd receiver in years since J. Hunter i would say. The receiveing core is horrible, maybe even worse than the OLine. Mahoney and Azzani should be put on Notice this year, and possible looking for new Jobs next year.

5 of the 7 incompletions that Dobbs had were catchable, The receivers touched the ball and had every opportunity to catch the balls. They have been the week link and Dormady won't fix that at all, the only thing that will is better recruiting evaluations.

J. Jennings and P. Williams have made the best plays at WR this year and P. Williams didn't even get to practice at fall camp at all. J. Jennings was playing QB until Aug.

There is no excuse for the receivers play, absolutely unacceptable for a school that claims to be WRU. We should drop WRU until we start playing like it again.

No way. I thought Dobbs played well. What else can he do when he's told to hand off every single play?

maybe if he could pass effectively he wouldn't be asked to pass off every single play?????

some of the post here are truly loony

I'd like to see a WR go deep ever play I do think dormandy is the better passer but Dobbs rushing was great in the FL game I hate it when we lose and yes this was the coaching but we still have a bunch of new kids that will learn to win suck it up this season and watch out the next

I am not sure what receivers you have been watching but we don't have all that Talent that you are assuming. Our receivers have been a week link on this team all year. They have consistantly dropped wide open passes as well as a lot of catchable balls. Receivers is a week spot it has been for years now, None of these receivers have lived up to any of their hype. Not a single one!!! North, Croom, J. Smith, J. Malone, V. Pearson Pig Howard who should be the least linkely to be the top receiver has let the team 2 years in a row. We haven't had a 1000 yd receiver in years since J. Hunter i would say. The receiveing core is horrible, maybe even worse than the OLine. Mahoney and Azzani should be put on Notice this year, and possible looking for new Jobs next year.

5 of the 7 incompletions that Dobbs had were catchable, The receivers touched the ball and had every opportunity to catch the balls. They have been the week link and Dormady won't fix that at all, the only thing that will is better recruiting evaluations.

J. Jennings and P. Williams have made the best plays at WR this year and P. Williams didn't even get to practice at fall camp at all. J. Jennings was playing QB until Aug.

There is no excuse for the receivers play, absolutely unacceptable for a school that claims to be WRU. We should drop WRU until we start playing like it again.

Sorry, you're right, I'm wrong, it's all the receivers fault, and the O line, and the coaches, and, and, .............

maybe if he could pass effectively he wouldn't be asked to pass off every single play?????

some of the post here are truly loony

We assumed he was redshirting last 2 yeas because he wasn't ready, etc. He came in and did rather well. I am done giving this staff benefit of the doubt

VN Store

Back