Dormady Talks QB Position

If you to give an opinion on JJ then fine. I'm personally excited to see him play qb....I'm incredibly impressed with the kid and the work he did just to EE. But to question whether or not there's been debate as to whether or not he'll qb or safety in college? Come on now Volin....

There are several articles about his recruitment where it is mentioned.....here's just one---

Vols commitment Jauan Jennings plans to play QB, not DB

And btw, I pray that Jauan (or Quinten or Sheriron) is Dobbs' backup and not Peterman.

Believe me, I am aware of all of the "talk" of him getting moved. What drives me crazy are the people that are just writing it off and assuming that it is a matter of time before he gets moved (and I'm not saying you are one of those).

And we are in perfect and complete agreement about Peterman. Although if Dobbs doesn't get hurt, I wouldn't mind him getting mop up duty to see if we can redshirt as many of the 3 as we can. If we are truly cursed and Dobbs gets hurt then the redshirt comes off of 2 of the Freshmen in my opinion. I think we end up red-shirting all of them (best case) or only 1 (worst case).

I also share your admiration for Hubbs and the Coach. Don't get a chance to listen to Swain being in Middle TN.

Believe me, I am aware of all of the "talk" of him getting moved. What drives me crazy are the people that are just writing it off and assuming that it is a matter of time before he gets moved (and I'm not saying you are one of those).

And we are in perfect and complete agreement about Peterman. Although if Dobbs doesn't get hurt, I wouldn't mind him getting mop up duty to see if we can redshirt as many of the 3 as we can. If we are truly cursed and Dobbs gets hurt then the redshirt comes off of 2 of the Freshmen in my opinion. I think we end up red-shirting all of them (best case) or only 1 (worst case).

I also share your admiration for Hubbs and the Coach. Don't get a chance to listen to Swain being in Middle TN.

I'm in Middle Tennessee too. I just downloaded Swain's (the Swain Event) app to my iPhone and I listen to him when I can, live or podcast. He's on 6-9 am central. I also listen to the RockyTopInsider guys....Reed Carringer, Houston Kress and Daniel Lewis. Downloaded their app as well....on 9-10 am central.

Hope Dobbs stays healthy and becomes the qb we think he can be. Also hope our young qbs develop and progress so that Jones has difficult decisions to make regarding who our starter will be when Dobbs is gone. I admire Jennings for the work he's put in and it doesn't hurt that he's the instate guy. Here's to hoping it adds up to championships for UT no matter who the qb is.

QD's surgery was last year. He played his senior year and is fine. He will go through off season conditioning just like Jennings. Then we get to spring practice. Fun times. I am sure the better of the two out of spring practice will emerge as the #2 going into fall camp. Of course, a whole new dynamic opens up when Jones gets on campus in the summer. We shall see. Just don't count QD out yet.

IMO:

Dormandy redshirts
Jennings goes to Defense
Jones is the backup QB, plays late in blowouts

I remember those Dobbs arguments and the one from a poster who supposedly watched all the practices, that stated Dobbs was slower than Ferguson,Worley and Peterman...in that order. What I continue to find laughable is a bunch of repressed coaches on a message board telling Butch what fits HIS offense

I'm not trying to be smart a$$ but don't forget that Dobbs was 3rd string for the last 2 years. Talent is harder to evaluate than people believe. I just read an article where Pete Carroll said his biggest regret as a coach was not valuing Clay Matthews as he should have (didn't even start as a senior). Russell Wilson and Matt Cassell are other examples of players getting passed over. FWIW, I made the same mistake as Butch when evaluating the QB options and I still believe Worley and Peterman are probably better QB's in practice. What I failed to account for was Dobb's X factor that his elusiveness brings to CBJ's offense.

I'm not trying to be smart a$$ but don't forget that Dobbs was 3rd string for the last 2 years. Talent is harder to evaluate than people believe. I just read an article where Pete Carroll said his biggest regret as a coach was not valuing Clay Matthews as he should have (didn't even start as a senior). Russell Wilson and Matt Cassell are other examples of players getting passed over. FWIW, I made the same mistake as Butch when evaluating the QB options and I still believe Worley and Peterman are probably better QB's in practice. What I failed to account for was Dobb's X factor that his elusiveness brings to CBJ's offense.

The only reason Dobbs was "third string" is because they were trying to redshirt him. Once Worley went down we quickly saw who the backup qb was. Nathan was only the backup qb went it wasn't necessary for him to play. Just sayin'.

Your other points about talent evaluation are well taken. It's definitely an inexact science that is best left to the guys who get paid to do it.

Last edited:
The only reason he was 3rd string is because the plan was for him to redshirt.

Edit - KB beat me to it.

I have watched Jennings play just one game the East/West all star game. He was very mobile but his throwing was horrible. Was this an abberation or what.

Clay Matthews was a skinny walkon behind 5 star talents who actually played at that quality level in college (he did start his junior and senior year)...his eventual success as a pro was a testament to hard work and PEDS (he tested positive). Russell Wilson?...started pretty much throughout college and so far in the pros. Matt Cassell backed up those notorious spares Carson Palmer and Matt Leinert...then Tom Brady...before? What has he done? Good season when Tom Brady was out...cashed in...and I guess he's still in the league. :unsure: Don't beat yourself up about not knowing more about Dobbs being able to play better than he practiced...or actually played... In the previous season. If they had ignored all of the data in front of them and thrown him out there against Oklahoma and Georgia, and he gets chewed up? Same people decrying Butch's lack of prescience after a winning bowl performance, would be decrying his mishandling of the QBs and blasting his loss of a redshirt year...all this because of something that ended up working out? Dobbs is confident, working on improvements and upright...as in not in traction.

Reactions: 1 person
The only reason Dobbs was "third string" is because they were trying to redshirt him. Once Worley went down we quickly saw who the backup qb was. Nathan was only the backup qb went it wasn't necessary for him to play. Just sayin'.

Your other points about talent evaluation are well taken. It's definitely an inexact science that is best left to the guys who get paid to do it.

That is the common theory but I'm not sure I buy it. If thats the case, why did Peterman start the Alabama game even though Butch had already said both were going to play. Either way, I concede its a mute point and we'll probably never know for sure what they were thinking. Butch just strikes me as the type of guy that would put his grandma in at middle linebacker if he thought it gave him an immeadiate advantage...

PS...I would too :)

Clay Matthews was a skinny walkon behind 5 star talents who actually played at that quality level in college (he did start his junior and senior year)...his eventual success as a pro was a testament to hard work and PEDS (he tested positive). Russell Wilson?...started pretty much throughout college and so far in the pros. Matt Cassell backed up those notorious spares Carson Palmer and Matt Leinert...then Tom Brady...before? What has he done? Good season when Tom Brady was out...cashed in...and I guess he's still in the league. :unsure: Don't beat yourself up about not knowing more about Dobbs being able to play better than he practiced...or actually played... In the previous season. If they had ignored all of the data in front of them and thrown him out there against Oklahoma and Georgia, and he gets chewed up? Same people decrying Butch's lack of prescience after a winning bowl performance, would be decrying his mishandling of the QBs and blasting his loss of a redshirt year...all this because of something that ended up working out? Dobbs is confident, working on improvements and upright...as in not in traction.

Just FYI, below is an excerpt of the article on Matthews (ps...and your right about the PEDs):

“I had said going in I think maybe his junior year somebody asked me about Clay Matthews and I said I think he might be one of the best special teamers to ever play at USC. He was a great player on [special] teams. I knew I couldn’t really validate that, but I was blowing him up because he was a great kid.

“Well, when we got to his senior year, he wasn’t starting. He didn’t start the first game. I think we were playing Oregon State, and we had some problems. We put him in the game, and said we know Clay will do the right thing. He started playing there, and he’s been a great player since the time he was given the opportunity to show it. He was always there banging away. Always there fighting, clawing and scratching.

And on Wilson:
Russell Wilson, perhaps the best player in the ACC* last year, was released from his N.C. State Wolfpack scholarship Friday by coach Tom O'Brien. The issues at stake, depending on who you believe: Wilson's commitment to football with a professional baseball future available, or O'Brien's early and apparent zeroing-in on Mike Glennon as the 2011 Pack starting QB.

I'm unsure about Cassell. Just an example that came to mind. However, the Leinart experiment didn't go nearly as well as Cassell's. Granted, the teams they played for were vastly different in talent

That is the common theory but I'm not sure I buy it. If thats the case, why did Peterman start the Alabama game even though Butch had already said both were going to play. Either way, I concede its a mute point and we'll probably never know for sure what they were thinking. Butch just strikes me as the type of guy that would put his grandma in at middle linebacker if he thought it gave him an immeadiate advantage...

PS...I would too :)

Literally nothing else makes sense. Gamesmanship is the only possible explanation for why Nathan started that game. His first 2 drives weren't catastrophic and Dobbs' first 2 drives didn't set the world on fire...yet Nathan didn't play another snap and Dobbs took over as UTs QB.

Prior to Worley being injured it had already been reported that they were attempting to redshirt Dobbs....this is from 3 weeks prior to the Alabama game by Zach Ragan from Fansided......

"If you’re wondering why Vols sophomore quarterback Josh Dobbs didn’t come into the game against Georgia when Justin Worley was injured, it’s because Butch Jones hopes to redshirt him.

John Brice @John_BriceVQ
Follow
. @UTCoachJones says we'll see how it goes (on redshirting @josh_dobbs1) but says in perfect world Dobbs would redshirt. #Vols

Jones is obviously looking toward the future with this move. The quarterback position will once again be the biggest story of the off-season when next year rolls around."

Vols Hope To Redshirt QB Josh Dobbs

I remember those Dobbs arguments and the one from a poster who supposedly watched all the practices, that stated Dobbs was slower than Ferguson,Worley and Peterman...in that order. What I continue to find laughable is a bunch of repressed coaches on a message board telling Butch what fits HIS offense.
Its not the speed or mobility that gets us 6-7 yards unless he is as slow as worley which I really doubt. Its vision. Dobbs has it, Hurd has it.

Just FYI, below is an excerpt of the article on Matthews (ps...and your right about the PEDs):

“I had said going in I think maybe his junior year somebody asked me about Clay Matthews and I said I think he might be one of the best special teamers to ever play at USC. He was a great player on [special] teams. I knew I couldn’t really validate that, but I was blowing him up because he was a great kid.

“Well, when we got to his senior year, he wasn’t starting. He didn’t start the first game. I think we were playing Oregon State, and we had some problems. We put him in the game, and said we know Clay will do the right thing. He started playing there, and he’s been a great player since the time he was given the opportunity to show it. He was always there banging away. Always there fighting, clawing and scratching.

And on Wilson:
Russell Wilson, perhaps the best player in the ACC* last year, was released from his N.C. State Wolfpack scholarship Friday by coach Tom O'Brien. The issues at stake, depending on who you believe: Wilson's commitment to football with a professional baseball future available, or O'Brien's early and apparent zeroing-in on Mike Glennon as the 2011 Pack starting QB.

I'm unsure about Cassell. Just an example that came to mind. However, the Leinart experiment didn't go nearly as well as Cassell's. Granted, the teams they played for were vastly different in talent

Matthews started games his junior year and in a logjam of talent his senior year ...once again from the background of being a 180 lb walkon with a legendary father as a legacy...simple lesson...he wasn't an immediate star...kinda like Dobbs ...needed work and if Carroll actually loses sleep over possibly mishandling his development (didn't get that vibe from the quote) I'm sure those two NC tapes lull him to rest.

I'm trying to see your Russell Wilson point, and I remember how NC State took the boneheaded hard stance on him playing baseball, but he managed to spend that last year as a Heisman candidate on a great Wisconsin team? :dunno:

Since we are discussing college, I'd have to take Leinart's two championship rings and Heisman over Cassell. (Personal choice in "experiments")

This little discussion started in a thread about a QB who Butch recruited for HIS system...we're all enjoying how well Dobbs is functioning and looking forward to him performing even better as he grows more comfortable, but I believe it's shortsighted and limited to suggest that only one type of quarterback can flourish in Butch's system. He seems to agree.

I have watched Jennings play just one game the East/West all star game. He was very mobile but his throwing was horrible. Was this an abberation or what.

Very much so. Most All-star game situations aren't good for any QB. Only get 3-4 practices and throwing to guys you don't know. He was better than 60% for the year with only 2 or 3 ints and 20+ tds.

Its not the speed or mobility that gets us 6-7 yards unless he is as slow as worley which I really doubt. Its vision. Dobbs has it, Hurd has it.

For a short time, Mark Brunell was a nightmare making plays with his feet against NFL defenses...Fran Tarkenton made the HOF with that skill...neither were speed demons...just had that instinct. I think Worley had plenty of footspeed...just not that vision that you mentioned. If you put pressure on him, he'd either immediately fold for the sack or be subject to a fumble. Dobbs has the ability to stay cool, take an angle and gain yards in similar situations...world's difference.

Literally nothing else makes sense. Gamesmanship is the only possible explanation for why Nathan started that game. His first 2 drives weren't catastrophic and Dobbs' first 2 drives didn't set the world on fire...yet Nathan didn't play another snap and Dobbs took over as UTs QB.

Prior to Worley being injured it had already been reported that they were attempting to redshirt Dobbs....this is from 3 weeks prior to the Alabama game by Zach Ragan from Fansided......

"If you’re wondering why Vols sophomore quarterback Josh Dobbs didn’t come into the game against Georgia when Justin Worley was injured, it’s because Butch Jones hopes to redshirt him.

John Brice @John_BriceVQ
Follow
. @UTCoachJones says we'll see how it goes (on redshirting @josh_dobbs1) but says in perfect world Dobbs would redshirt. #Vols

Jones is obviously looking toward the future with this move. The quarterback position will once again be the biggest story of the off-season when next year rolls around."

Vols Hope To Redshirt QB Josh Dobbs

Your logic is sound. I have no doubt they valued his RS and that played into their decision. I will say this though, it was pipe dream to think Worley could go all year with the Oline we had (especially after seeing the Oklahoma game) and to think that Peterman was a servicable backup at this level, in this scheme.

Matthews started games his junior year and in a logjam of talent his senior year ...once again from the background of being a 180 lb walkon with a legendary father as a legacy...simple lesson...he wasn't an immediate star...kinda like Dobbs ...needed work and if Carroll actually loses sleep over possibly mishandling his development (didn't get that vibe from the quote) I'm sure those two NC tapes lull him to rest.

I'm trying to see your Russell Wilson point, and I remember how NC State took the boneheaded hard stance on him playing baseball, but he managed to spend that last year as a Heisman candidate on a great Wisconsin team? :dunno:

Since we are discussing college, I'd have to take Leinart's two championship rings and Heisman over Cassell. (Personal choice in "experiments")

This little discussion started in a thread about a QB who Butch recruited for HIS system...we're all enjoying how well Dobbs is functioning and looking forward to him performing even better as he grows more comfortable, but I believe it's shortsighted and limited to suggest that only one type of quarterback can flourish in Butch's system. He seems to agree.

My point is this, its hard to evaluate talent and know who will perform in a game situation. The gap between elite and good is even harder to distinguish in higher tier D1 athletes. Mistakes ARE made. Pete Carroll, arguably one of the most dominant and successful coaches in football, says he made one in dealing with Clay Matthews. Coach O'brien chose Glennon over Wilson (reason doesn't matter). Jones chose to try to save Dobb's RS and start Worley. A decision I agreed with fully at the time. In my opinion, with the luxury of hindsight, I now think was a mistake.

VN Store

Back