Dooley, telling players like it is ;)

bray deserved that and what dooley said was the truth.if you can't take the criticism for playing bad,maybe he shouldn't be a qb.also,if he thinks it's bad now,when or if he gets drafted to a team and plays that poorly.what will it be like?he's not going to be able to go hide and not talk to the press.it's total immaturity on brays part.....

I'm pretty sure the press and the media aren't going to care what a 5th or 6th rd QB has to say, but I do agree with your point 100%.

bray deserved that and what dooley said was the truth.if you can't take the criticism for playing bad,maybe he shouldn't be a qb.also,if he thinks it's bad now,when or if he gets drafted to a team and plays that poorly.what will it be like?he's not going to be able to go hide and not talk to the press.it's total immaturity on brays part.....

Dooley might need to try this approach at his next gig.

"If anything goes bad I did it. If anything goes semi-good we did it. If anything goes great, you did it. That is all it takes to have people win football games for you."

Reactions: 2 people
Dooley might need to try this approach at his next gig.

"If anything goes bad I did it. If anything goes semi-good we did it. If anything goes great, you did it. That is all it takes to have people win football games for you."

love this!

Reactions: 2 people
My thought is that it's hypocritical. I feel like Dooley and Bray are parallels in each of their positions. Neither were highly touted when the Came to Tennessee, they both built up to big expectations, and they have both failed, and both will likely be replaced if they don't beat South Carolina.

I spank my 6 year old daughter if she deserves it but I don't do it in front of an audience....Bray does not seem to be the type that can be handled that way.

Bray is not a 6 year old child, but rather a 20 year old man. If his psyche is that fragile, then he is not even close to being NFL-ready.

Reactions: 1 person
This + 1000. If this had happened 2 years ago, Bray may be NFL ready. I do not blame Dooley at all for holding players accountable.

While I agree with holding the players accountable, waiting until your fired seems like a strange time to start that. Starting in the SEC is a huge deal and every player at every position should be held accountable the minute they take the field. Waiting until everything has fallen apart to call people out is chicken shi* IMO.

kettlecallingpotblack.jpg

If I was a player that would be my response....with a few F bombs or 2.

No it wouldn't.

Telling a player like it is, and telling the world what you told the player, are 2 different things. I wonder how Dooley would like it if Dave Hart just came out and said this?

Dooley has never coached a team up to play at an SEC level for an entire game, and I think Dooley knows that?

He will be told soon enough about his mistakes soon enough.

I suspect DD has tried about every possible approach with Bray and obviously none have worked. This is probably last resort. Look for Worley when Bray throws pick on Sat. If Worley plays half descent Bray may have played his last at UT.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

There is a right way to handle things. Praise in public and correct in private. I spank my 6 year old daughter if she deserves it but I don't do it in front of an audience. What Dooley said is fine but it needs to be done behind the door. Then he as the leader of the team needs to simply say it has been addressed. Not many people on this earth can be called out in public and take it as a learning experience and respect who held them accountable. 99% of the population is not motivated by this type of leadership style. Bray does not seem to be the type that can be handled that way.

This is the problem with all of us on message boards. Everyone is just assuming. No one knows if cdd has been giving him an ultimatum in private and Bray has just been rolling his eyes at him pretty much. Cdd finally stepped up put Worley in vs Bama and came out publicly saying that Worley may come in before bray let's it get out of control vs USCjr. Maybe cdd has coddled him enough and now it's time to put up or shut up. Maybe something he has wanted to do for a while but now getting fan support for it.

Btw - glad you spank your daughter. Seriously I think it's important, but don't take away a learning experience by saying you would never do it in public. My father would give us a warning with a nicely placed pinch in the back of the arm with his perfectly manicured military/catholic school upbringing nails that would make ur eyes tear up, and the "stop it now" death stare. If that didn't work, which 99% of the time it did, he wasn't scared to whip us no matter where we were or age. His second favorite move after the back arm pinch was the good 'ol "knuckle sammich", which was his usual first move in private. I think he had to once maybe twice in public iirc cause I knew he wasn't going to back down. Not trying to tell you how to parent but saying in general giving up that or any card is not good.

Your statement is what is wrong with kids today.....lets not upset them bc they are fragile....lets tell them they are doing a great job at all times...they need to be disciplined and told they are making mistakes in public if need be....help make them mentally tough to face the real world....I work for the railroad and let me tell you that if your thin skinned you would never make it here....its time we quit wussifying our kids

:good!:

I suspect DD has tried about every possible approach with Bray and obviously none have worked. This is probably last resort. Look for Worley when Bray throws pick on Sat. If Worley plays half descent Bray may have played his last at UT.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Exactly!:good!: I'm glad others see it the same way I do instead of through negavols tinted glasses.

I just wish I knew more about Worleys mental ability and who he's been getting devolped. I know last yrs playing time is helpful to get nerves in check. I know many are pissed cdd went for 3 at the end of Bama, but I think getting positive pts was good for Worley. Better than not getting any and failing on 4th down. And our FG kicker got some practice too. He looks promising but of course just outside looking in.

Last edited:
This + 1000. If this had happened 2 years ago, Bray may be NFL ready. I do not blame Dooley at all for holding players accountable.

Holding a player accountable is one thing. Dooley throwing a player under the bus in the media so as to deflect the attention off himself is entirely different. If I actually thought Bray had been "coached up" since he's been here it might be different.

Telling a player like it is, and telling the world what you told the player, are 2 different things. I wonder how Dooley would like it if Dave Hart just came out and said this?

Dooley has never coached a team up to play at an SEC level for an entire game, and I think Dooley knows that?

I am sure Hart could do that, but then he would just be pointing out the obvious.

Year 1 CDD had Bray and Simms.

Simms wasn't a great option but at least he was a option.

Last year CDD had Bray and Worley and Worley wasn't even close to being ready but he had to be used anyway after Bray broke his thumb.

This year CDD again has Bray and Worley but now Worley should be better with some real game experience and another year in the system.

CDD didn't recruit Bray but he got stuck with him no matter what he thought about him until he could recruit his own QB and have time to coach him up and get him a little experience.

I wonder if our coaches have been forced to pattycake things along with Bray until Worley was more ready and now they're just tired of the BS from Bray and think they can win the last games, except maybe USCe, with Worley so they're finally getting alot tougher on Bray to either make the immature Bray wake up and do right or to sit the bench and watch the NFL scouts know that Bray isn't close to NFL ready.

I think CDD did the right thing at the end of the Bama game...I think Worley was 4 of 5 passing and got us down the field to put points on the board which IS what a QB and the O is supposed to do.

The FG gave our kicker some experience and a little more confidence.

Points on the board made Worley feel better and gave him and our O a little more confidence and that's always good for younger up and coming players.

At that point in the game doing anything positive that could help inspire our young QB and give him more confidence is a smart thing to do for the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if CDD and the other coaches didn't want to come down harder on Bray since last season but they felt they couldn't because Worley wasn't close to ready to take it all over if Bray cried and took his ball and went home.

A Junior QB in the SEC should be alot more mature and mature kids do NOT throw beer bottles at cars.

CDD said after last season that he would get the running game fixed and he did that better than most here thought would happen BUT with a better running game if can also take pressure off Worley if he has to replace Bray the rest of the way.

Timimg is important in alot of situations including football.

If I was the coach and Bray was my only option then I would be forced to take things alot easier on Bray too no matter how badly I wanted to kick his spoiled butt or bench him.

Does Bray also change plays at the line on 3rd down or is CJC really dumb enough to call long pass plays consistently on 3rd and short?

I really don't thing CJC is that dumb.

VFL...GBO!!!

Solid post TitanandVolfan4life. :good!:

I agree with the possibility that cdd may have had to baby bray all this time cause he was his only option. Also a fan favorite so tough to bench in that position. Now he is getting fan support to bench him so perfect timing. Bray seems like he would also take advantage of the position cdd and cjc were in with him. I'm thinking cdd had to do the same with DR until he just couldn't and finally did it having CP on campus and seeing how good he really was in fall camp.

Many think that guys like us make excuses and are only pro Dooley no matter what. Some of us understand its not always black and white, and finding reasons for things is what we are doing. Though being outsiders looking in is tough. We see them and see if Dooley is correcting those things when he is able to. That's how we are judging improvement. This current bray situation is a good example and the DR one too.

It's the employee vs the mgr/boss mindset tug of a war on this forum.

As a wise football coach told me(40+ years at the HS level) You have to treat different players different ways. So players respond well to a good loud scolding, so respond well to a private session of encouragement!

Absolutely. Different methods are effective on different individuals. As a little league coach we always called it the "atta boy" ratio. Some kids need 10 atta boys for every "scolding". Others might only need 1. Everyone responds differently.

Absolutely. Different methods are effective on different individuals. As a little league coach we always called it the "atta boy" ratio. Some kids need 10 atta boys for every "scolding". Others might only need 1. Everyone responds differently.

agree to an extent, but there is a time when men shouldn't need attaboy's to get their jobs done. For some it's 16. For others like Vince Young, it may never click. Too many attaboys along the way have meant that a player of VY's talent can only compete under optimal circumstances and can't take criticism. imo, it's better to learn to take criticism at a young age and set a path of how to respond, rather than pampering guys all the way through college.

VN Store

Back