Don't know if true but I'm not happy...(Memphis St series)

Not to defend him, but he's got a point here. There isn't much proven depth behind the starters right now, if one or two go down to injury at an inopportune time.

Depth may emerge as the season goes on, but I'm sure it's one of the concerns that kept UT out of the top 25 to start with.

I completely agree that the bench is very unproven. I like it, but it's not Final Four quality.

I don't necessarily have a problem with not being in the top 25. I would put us there (trying to look at this non-homerish) because you return four starters, and almost every contributor back, along with the fact that Stokes is going to improve and the way UT finished the SEC season.

JMO.

I completely agree that the bench is very unproven. I like it, but it's not Final Four quality.

I don't necessarily have a problem with not being in the top 25. I would put us there (trying to look at this non-homerish) because you return four starters, and almost every contributor back, along with the fact that Stokes is going to improve and the way UT finished the SEC season.

JMO.

Just ranking teams by starting 5, UT may be top 10. Lots of experience, lots of talent. CCM is going to have to find contributors on his bench though, especially in the back court.

Just ranking teams by starting 5, UT may be top 10. Lots of experience, lots of talent. CCM is going to have to find contributors on his bench though, especially in the back court.

I don't know that he needs big time contributors. Ideally CCM would like to play a 8 man rotation with his starting 5 all seeing big minutes and being the main contributors. Just needs a couple guys off the bench who can hold things together. Hall, Edwards will be solid off the bench, biggest question mark probably is Armani backing up golden.

I don't know that he needs big time contributors. Ideally CCM would like to play a 8 man rotation with his starting 5 all seeing big minutes and being the main contributors. Just needs a couple guys off the bench who can hold things together. Hall, Edwards will be solid off the bench, biggest question mark probably is Armani backing up golden.

For the sake of discussion, I'm assuming that Edwards gets the starting spot on the wing along with McRae. Starting 5 of:
Golden
McRae
Edwards
Maymon
Stokes

Rock solid. Top 3 coming off the bench would then be Hall (solid 6th man), McBee (said enough on him, you know what you're getting) and Richardson, who had 16 mpg and 2.9 ppg last season.

CCM likes short rotations, so the top 6 are going to see a lot of minutes and therefore a lot of wear and tear.

For the sake of discussion, I'm assuming that Edwards gets the starting spot on the wing along with McRae. Starting 5 of:
Golden
McRae
Edwards
Maymon
Stokes

Rock solid. Top 3 coming off the bench would then be Hall (solid 6th man), McBee (said enough on him, you know what you're getting) and Richardson, who had 16 mpg and 2.9 ppg last season.

CCM likes short rotations, so the top 6 are going to see a lot of minutes and therefore a lot of wear and tear.

I think mcbee likely starts and Edwards off the bench, but point remains the same though.

Kentucky played a short rotation, 6 or 7 usually and was just fine, so if conditioned right it obviosuly can be done.

Not to defend him, but he's got a point here. There isn't much proven depth behind the starters right now, if one or two go down to injury at an inopportune time.

Depth may emerge as the season goes on, but I'm sure it's one of the concerns that kept UT out of the top 25 to start with.

You can say that about pretty much any hoops team though. It's not like football where the numbers aren't as detrimental. Can you imagine if Davis tears a knee last year for Ky? You think they still win the title? I'm guessing no.

One player can make a huge difference on a hoops eam. If Golden goes down last year or this year, UT will struggle. Mightily.

You can say that about pretty much any hoops team though. It's not like football where the numbers aren't as detrimental. Can you imagine if Davis tears a knee last year for Ky? You think they still win the title? I'm guessing no.

One player can make a huge difference on a hoops eam. If Golden goes down last year or this year, UT will struggle. Mightily.

Well, sure, you can't replace Davis, per se. However, KY was deep last year and just didn't utilize a whole lot of their talent. Davis goes down, and 5 star freshman Kyle Wiltjer or 4 star Senior JuCo Eloy Vargas sees more minutes.

It's not necessarily about bringing someone in who can match the talent of the injured player, but how big the drop off is.

VN Store

Back