Dog attacks

I was about to go there with the gun comparison, but since the electricity example appears to have gone over their head, I figured it would be a waste.

I'm in the camp that all owners should be wary of introducing a new child to a dog in a house. Until that dog understands the baby is part of the pack. Being wary rather than being afraid. It does take time for a dog to get used to having a new member of the "pack."

By and large, most dogs, especially pack type dogs (GSD for example) can and will accept a new family member and protect that family member. Which is why many trainers and breeders will tell you they make a good family dog.

He hates dogs.

And not trying to go political, but it's just like every liberal that cries to ban entire classes of firearms any time there is one incident involving that particular class. Obviously, there's a correlation in his mind that if there are 0.0001% (arbitrary number on my part) of dogs that go after a family member, ergo, all dogs will go after family members.

I highly suspect there is far more information here we just aren't getting.

You didn't want to go political by relating it to Islam and the idiots on the right who want to ban an entire religion based on the actions of a very select few? Or do you prefer not to go political in that way cause it doesn't let you also make fun of liberals?

He hates dogs.

And not trying to go political, but it's just like every liberal that cries to ban entire classes of firearms any time there is one incident involving that particular class. Obviously, there's a correlation in his mind that if there are 0.0001% (arbitrary number on my part) of dogs that go after a family member, ergo, all dogs will go after family members.

I'm about to blow your mind. Are you ready?

I'm a pro-second amendment liberal who loves dogs and owns a pit.

Attachments

• 776.gif
    776.gif
    849 KB · Views: 55
You didn't want to go political by relating it to Islam and the idiots on the right who want to ban an entire religion based on the actions of a very select few? Or do you prefer not to go political in that way cause it doesn't let you also make fun of liberals?

You could just accept the fact it was an "analogy" and move on in your life.

But if you really want to get into trying to call me out over your butthurt, the Politics Forum is a couple of clicks down. But be sure to pack a lunch.

And bring a mouthpiece.

But if you really want to get into trying to call me out over your butthurt, the Politics Forum is a couple of clicks down. But be sure to pack a lunch.

And bring a mouthpiece.

yes, your clearly biased analogy with intent to mock others was in fact an "analogy"

And what, do we provide the mouthpieces and you provide the mouthbreathers? Seems fair :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
yes, your clearly biased analogy with intent to mock others was in fact an "analogy"

And what, do we provide the mouthpieces and you provide the mouthbreathers? Seems fair :good!:

As I said, you're welcome to come on over to the PF to challenge.

And stop diverting the thread because I rustled your jimmies.

And bring a mouthpiece.

Don't make me sick a dog on you, you'll be flirting with a 5% chance of him biting you.

Okay, that was a pretty good one, gotta say. Props.

True story: my grandfather had a German shepherd he kept chained up to the porch, and he'd lay under the porch for like his shelter. He got hold of me when I was 2 1/2 and literally bit my ear off (it was hanging by the earlobe). He had never bothered anyone before, but I had walked up to him, and took a hunk out of his nose since I was at the biting stage. I have a scar down my ear where they sewed it back. Just thought this was a good time to insert my story 😬😜

He wasn't white was he? :)

I'm not taking anything personally, I'm merely responding to the thread you've started. If you wanted no real discussion about it, then you should have kept it to yourself.

I don't know what "study" you want me to cite, because breaking down the raw numbers alone should tell you that this is a rare occurance. But if we're going there, then feel free to cite your claim that there is 1:1 correlation of videos of dogs being fine around small kids to dogs attacking small kids.

I think mine and others' point is pretty clear; you're doing some weird passive aggressive fear mongering over a clearly rare occurance. It sucks and I'm sorry it happened and it clearly affected you, so it's apparent that you are the one taking this personally.

I don't mind discussing it, it just seems the discussion is you saying that I said things I didn't say.

I am not claiming there is a 1 to 1 correlation of dog attack videos to friendly dog videos. There are a zillion videos of cute and friendly dogs and cats interacting with people. The poster had a video of a demonstration of a dog defending a baby from attack. I am saying I believe there are as many attack videos as there are videos of a dog defending a child against an attacker. There probably aren't many videos of either, because what are the chances you have the camera going when either happens? I said in that post that a video of a dog attacking a child doesn't prove all dogs act that way. But I do not intend to scour the internet and try to keep an exact tally.

As far as how often dogs display signs of aggressiveness before they actually bite we can settle that easily. Neither you nor I know. We can guess. We can't know. Out of 4.5 million bites last year it could be 90%-10%, 10%-90% or anything in between. WE CAN NOT KNOW

And you seem to be doing some weird passive aggressive defending of dogs against things I never accused them of. My original point, and only point, is that in my personal opinion people should carefully consider the size of their dog-relative to the size of their kids. I haven't seen anything in this thread to dissuade me of that opinion.

He hates dogs.

I don't hate dogs. I am nearly 60 and I have had a dog at different times for roughly 50% of those years. I am a gun owner. I don't advocate the banning of dogs or guns. Or ferrets. Even though there are cases of ferrets getting out of their cages and chewing the fingers and noses off of babies in their cribs. I just want people to consider wisely when choosing a dog

So in the game of life, you must choose to either have a child or have a dog?

I agree with you that sure, all dogs can bite and all have the ability.

However, there are usually warning signs when there is a potential situation, and it's rare that a dog with no history of aggression would attack unprovoked.

I'm really sorry this happened to your family, and I hope everyone recovers fully, physically and emotionally.

I choose dog.

I seriously doubt dogs would have earned the title mans best friend if unprovoked bites on family members was a common occurrence.

Kids get seriously hurt or killed doing things like riding bikes and playing sports. I refused to raise mine in a sheltered environment.

True story: my grandfather had a German shepherd he kept chained up to the porch, and he'd lay under the porch for like his shelter. He got hold of me when I was 2 1/2 and literally bit my ear off (it was hanging by the earlobe). He had never bothered anyone before, but I had walked up to him, and took a hunk out of his nose since I was at the biting stage. I have a scar down my ear where they sewed it back. Just thought this was a good time to insert my story ����

He must have seen this on television:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtnUQa1Z_FY

Last edited:

VN Store

Back