Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting

Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a horse crap poll.

Yes, no, too early to tell would have been 3 fair options.

You're presenting a third option of a hypothetical dream scenario. Pons could be the next LBJ for all we know. Your scenario is limitless. But it only presents one side. You knew that, which is why you phrased it the way you did.

You know Barnes isn't getting it done. Everyone does.

That hypothetical is what I've been stating this whole time, I'm sorry you've struggled to keep up but my stance hasn't changed in 2 years. Show me something in Year 3 and I'm good, don't and a change needs to be made, very simple.

So simple that even 94% of people agree with that stance, shocker.

That hypothetical is what I've been stating this whole time, I'm sorry you've struggled to keep up but my stance hasn't changed in 2 years. Show me something in Year 3 and I'm good, don't and a change needs to be made, very simple.

So simple that even 94% of people agree with that stance, shocker.

They don't and I've already explained that you're an idiot living in a fantasy world where you think Rick Barnes has earned the right to sit on his fanny and Cuonzo Martin is great.

Here in the real world, in the present, in reality we have 75% of the fan base (including you) that says he needs to step it up.

Reactions: 1 person
They don't and I've already explained that you're an idiot living in a fantasy world where you think Rick Barnes has earned the right to sit on his fanny and Cuonzo Martin is great.

Here in the real world, in the present, in reality we have 75% of the fan base (including you) that says he needs to step it up.

I see 94% of people stating if this team goes dancing they'll be happy with the roster, not sure where you're seeing 75% but if you can't even relay simple numbers like that correctly it's hard for me to take anything else you say seriously.

You should know something about fantasy world and making up numbers, that's right up Tony B's alley, it's why he can't hold down a station.

I see 94% of people stating if this team goes dancing they'll be happy with the roster, not sure where you're seeing 75% but if you can't even relay simple numbers like that correctly it's hard for me to take anything else you say seriously.

I said my part. Everyone knows Barnes needs to step it up.

Keep living in fantasy world.

I realize it must be boring right now for you. Barnes doesn't do much recruiting. Nothing for you to follow.

I said my part. Everyone knows Barnes needs to step it up.

Keep living in fantasy world.

I realize it must be boring right now for you. Barnes doesn't do much recruiting. Nothing for you to follow.

We've got 13 scholarship players who I feel are good enough to go dancing, I'm excited for the upcoming season, sorry that the team doesn't have enough 5* for you to cheer for them...maybe you should become an Auburn fan. They suck a$$ but hey, their recruiting is awesome, and that's all that matters in Ziti's world.

This argument has now spread over 3 different threads with only 2, maybe 3 participants.

Give it a rest guys. Y'all have thoroughly laid out your arguments and have been at a stalemate since the beginning.

Go Vols! Can we all agree on that?

This argument has now spread over 3 different threads with only 2, maybe 3 participants.

Give it a rest guys. Y'all have thoroughly laid out your arguments and have been at a stalemate since the beginning.

No...screw you butthead!

I sure as hell can, but unless there's some 5*'s involved I doubt the other party's willingness to root on the Vols...GBO!

Last edited:
What’s your take Ziti?

This will continue to get spun like hell and people on this board have proved unwilling to/incapable of understanding my stance but.....

My stance on Barnes recruiting has not really changed at all. He can do better and I don't believe this level of success is sustainable by recruiting a roster made up of 95% 3* players. Heard this discussed on the radio today. You can't consistently hit on 3* recruits at the clip he is hitting on them. Also, he wasn't getting his first choice every time so there's an element of luck involved there as well. Also, we have been zeroing in on more highly rated targets for this class even though we haven't hit on any yet.

My stance on Barnes himself however has changed. He's a much better coach than I thought we were hiring. I feel like he's excited about being here

Also, you're not gonna hear me complain about recruiting at a time like this. That's a loser mentality. I'm enjoying this season so much. It's been a long time since I've been this excited about basketball.

You can't consistently hit on 3* recruits at the clip he is hitting on them. Also, he wasn't getting his first choice every time so there's an element of luck involved there as well.

1. And people said you couldn’t win big with 3* yet he is, so now we are doubling down and saying he can’t do it consistently? It’s not as if we lose half the roster next year, we literally return 12/13 guys, so I don’t see this team suddenly struggling to win.

2. What impact players on this roster apply to this “element of luck” you are speaking of?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think schools like Gonzaga and Wichita State, and Butler, and VCU have proven you can do it on a consistent basis, but I haven't seen a P5 team do it on a consistent basis, so I think Ziti has a decent point relative to our level of competition.

P5 teams that succeed like Tennessee has this year either elevate their recruiting profile, and rightfully so with that type of success, or they tend to fade in and out of success and mediocrity.

Reactions: 3 people
My stance on Barnes recruiting has not really changed at all. He can do better and I don't believe this level of success is sustainable by recruiting a roster made up of 95% 3* players. Heard this discussed on the radio today. You can't consistently hit on 3* recruits at the clip he is hitting on them. Also, he wasn't getting his first choice every time so there's an element of luck involved there as well. Also, we have been zeroing in on more highly rated targets for this class even though we haven't hit on any yet.

I'm in agreement here. He can obviously coach his a** off, but I wouldn't mind seeing the recruiting classes get a boost upward.

1. And people said you couldn’t win big with 3* yet he is, so now we are doubling down and saying he can’t do it consistently?

2. What impact players on this roster apply to this “element of luck” you are speaking of?

1. So I guess winning is here to stay and we should suspect to see improvement next year no matter what right? We don't really lose anyone and everyone gets a year older.

2. Anyone we missed on that prompted us to land a better yet more lowly ranked and lesser recruited player. Bowden would also be luck. We hired a guy who was recruiting him. Barnes had no idea about him.

Really don't wanna argue about this stuff. It gets twisted the same way every single time. Just like the last post in this thread before it was bumped where you're acting like I'm clamoring for 5 stars even though that's NEVER been my stance.

I think schools like Gonzaga and Wichita State, and Butler, and VCU have proven you can do it on a consistent basis, but I haven't seen a P5 team do it on a consistent basis, so I think Ziti has a decent point relative to our level of competition.

P5 teams that succeed like Tennessee has this year either elevate their recruiting profile, and rightfully so with that type of success, or they tend to fade in and out of success and mediocrity.

Exactly.

Those schools don't play in conference where you would get out talented on a nightly basis. Now can you win 25 games there? Yes. Can you make a run in the tourney? Yes. But IMO that's not how you build a consistent winner in a P5 conference.

Great post CNC.

And again.... doing "better" at recruiting doesn't mean top 5 classes or multiple top 50 players in every class and you will almost never hear me talk about landing 5* players. I think our path to success is recruiting guys that are 3 and 4 year contributors. We can do that and recruit inside the top 150 for the most part and a top 50 player every now and then wouldn't hurt.

How can you legitimately argue with the results? Sure we get excited about stars by peoples names, but hard to argue when Barnes can develop players at this rate. He can find under-the-radar guys as good as anyone.

How can you legitimately argue with the results? Sure we get excited about stars by peoples names, but are to argue when Barnes can develop players at this rate. He can find under-the-radar guys as good as anyone.

Why are we wasting our time recruiting Anfernee Simons then? Why not just go steal the next Grant Williams from some ivy league school?

Why are we wasting our time recruiting Anfernee Simons then? Why not just go steal the next Grant Williams from some ivy league school?

Instead of arguing or putting down Barnes, maybe we should trust him and his staff. They certainly haven't let us down so far.

Point taken. I'm not saying Barnes shouldn't recruit players like Simons, but just that he's done a good job so far with the players he has recruited. I won't criticize, with his results this year if he dosen't land Simons, and rather gets someone under-the-radar.

VN Store

Back