Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Higher percentage of posters agree they'll be happy with the roster established by Barnes if this years teams make the dance than those who say he needs to recruit better right now...shocker.

Those are the best examples you could muster up? 1 NCAA trip, a 1st rd exit, in 7 combined seasons at their current jobs (using Zo's Cal years)? That's just proof that recruiting at a high level doesn't automatically equate to winning. Throw Bruce Pearl years at Auburn into that pool of miracle workers while you're at it.

Just bringing up coaches that started in the SEC in Barnes time frame. If you don't think those teams will be better this year then ok. I never said Barnes was a bad coach. I said he needs to recruit better. The biggest problem I have with his recruiting is the lack of effort. I have seen multiple reports where he isn't even in the gym watching potential recruits when all our competitors are there.

Just bringing up coaches that started in the SEC in Barnes time frame. If you don't think those teams will be better this year then ok. I never said Barnes was a bad coach. I said he needs to recruit better. The biggest problem I have with his recruiting is the lack of effort. I have seen multiple reports where he isn't even in the gym watching potential recruits when all our competitors are there.

My issue with that belief is that there simply isn't any proof of it yet. Unless, of course, you simply believe stars equal good recruiting. As I pointed out with your own examples, it just doesn't.

You are free to believe that he needs to recruit better, but it's merely a theory at this point.

Gap continues to widen, seems like you may be the moron on this particular topic, surprise surprise.

I'm only looking at my poll. Not your dumbass poll with your dumbass options. Take a hike. Go browse the Missouri board. I'm sure there's some Cuonzo lovin going on over there if they have a basketball forum.

I'm going to chip my cents in. Making the tourney is good. That should definitely be a goal, but what good is it when you get bounced the first or second game? And honestly, that's what will happen more times than not if you don't have atleast one highly rated player.

I'm going to chip my cents in. Making the tourney is good. That should definitely be a goal, but what good is it when you get bounced the first or second game? And honestly, that's what will happen more times than not if you don't have atleast a couple highly rated players. Bottom line, making the tourney is good, but shouldn't measure the success of the season. If you make the tourney and get bounced the first game the season was a failure. Jmo

I'm only looking at my poll. Not your dumbass poll with your dumbass options. Take a hike. Go browse the Missouri board. I'm sure there's some Cuonzo lovin going on over there if they have a basketball forum.

Lmao, sorry but my options followed the strict protocol from the Ziti school of polls, btw gap continues to widen...looking like you're definitely in the minority here.

Sorry I'm not a fan of recruiting championships but prefer W's so I'll stick to this board, however I'm guessing you're headed for the Auburn boards any minute now to celebrate their great recruiting success and lack of wins to follow...that's right up your alley, maybe Tony B and DT will join you for a Pearl love fest :crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
I'm going to chip my cents in. Making the tourney is good. That should definitely be a goal, but what good is it when you get bounced the first or second game? And honestly, that's what will happen more times than not if you don't have atleast a couple highly rated players. Bottom line, making the tourney is good, but shouldn't measure the success of the season. If you make the tourney and get bounced the first game the season was a failure. Jmo

Yup, happened all the time to Wisconsin...or Butler...or VCU...shall I continue?

Making the tourney at Tennessee is no given, and Pearl even had his struggles in the opening rounds at Tennessee...I would hardly consider those seasons as failures.

I can't think of a ton of coaches who could do a better job selling what he has to sell. That said, his talent has improved as our progra,m has improved....slow, but stteady.

Dallas, you just described failure at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. Tennessee, who has made 1 tournament in 6 years, is in no position to consider a tourney appearance a failure. That's silly talk.

Reactions: 1 person
Numbers continue to drop while other poll's numbers continue to increase...glad to see VolNation is much smarter than OP was suggesting, positive sign!

You nailed it with your last paragraph. His goal is to be more than a participant in the tournament. He also knows he didn't walk into an immediate winning opportunity. He had to lay the groundwork. Now is the time to see results from that. Why some of our fans can't understand that, I don't know. Ignorance, arrogance, or just simply arguing to argue. You can't judge a product you haven't seen, and no one has seen half of this team play yet. So to outright assume Barnes has acquired a bunch of hacks (his 2016 class doesn't suggest that) is just silly before they have played their first game.
It truly is quite amazing. It appears some make up their minds about a coach at the press conference then start making their case against him as the years unfold. I agree that fundamental lack of understanding rules the day around here...most of the time.

For the time being, all he needs to do is coach the boys we have now to their full potential.
As long as he does that, we'll have great success on the court and recruits will start looking toward Knoxville as a place to be once again.

For the time being, all he needs to do is coach the boys we have now to their full potential.
As long as he does that, we'll have great success on the court and recruits will start looking toward Knoxville as a place to be once again.

This is maybe the most coherent and logical post of your's that I've ever read.

I haven't answered because of the way the question is worded. Yes, Barnes needs to add higher rated recruits year over year. But I'm not convinced that the recruiting has been bad considering how unattractive UT has been due to the mess in the wake of Pearl, Cuonzo's butt hurtedness, and Hart's horrible hiring of Tyndall. Considering where the program was at two years ago, I'm not upset at all with the current roster. Onward and upward. Keep trending favorably. No backslides from here.

That's sounds good, but you have fans like me(and there's a lot) that Don't have the patience for that.

I guess 3 years is the accepted time frame by a majority of the fan base to get to tournament.

Who knows what time frame, if any, the AD has given him.

That's sounds good, but you have fans like me(and there's a lot) that Don't have the patience for that.

I guess 3 years is the accepted time frame by a majority of the fan base to get to tournament.

Who knows what time frame, if any, the AD has given him.

Therein lies the problem. Lack of patience by fans is a huge reason why programs don't get traction. Very few programs are turned around in such a short time frame. Recruiting these days starts about when the targets first become teenagers. Most of the recruits already have their lists narrowed down years in advance of their signing.

Dallas, you just described failure at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. Tennessee, who has made 1 tournament in 6 years, is in no position to consider a tourney appearance a failure. That's silly talk.

I'm saying that should be the standard. It's not yet. A player is not going to pop up like pons every year, we need to start targeting and getting the high profile guys that duke,Kentucky, and Louisville gets. Or just get the guys we target. That's been a problem recently. Gaines is a great sign, but can we keep him?

Last edited:
I'm saying that should be the standard. It's not yet. A player is not going to pop up like pons every year, we need to start targeting and getting the high profile guys that duke,Kentucky, and Louisville gets. Or just get the guys we target. That's been a problem recently. Gaines is a great sign, but can we keep him?

The standard as in getting to the NCAAT every year? Only 3 of the last 8 UT coaches have even taken them to the NCAA tournament and CCM only got there one time. IMO, Pearl can't be the standard since his behavior pretty much mortgaged TN for the subsequent decade in exchange for the short term success. TN has a lot of work to do to become an annual participant in the NCAAT. Blowing out the head coach every couple of years won't get them there.

VN Store

Back