Does anyone remember...

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
It was a little before my time, but I recall my dad telling me about a game where the opposing fans threw oranges at the team as they ran out on to the field. The plan backfired and we ended up winning the game handily.

Anyone remember what game this was? For some reason I want to think it was Auburn but I might be wrong.

Reactions: HARTUPM
Didn’t Kentucky do it during the Mears years?? I’m 27 so I wouldn’t know, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen TGO talk about it a couple times in the basketball forum

It was a little before my time, but I recall my dad telling me about a game where the opposing fans threw oranges at the team as they ran out on to the field. The plan backfired and we ended up winning the game handily.

Anyone remember what game this was? For some reason I want to think it was Auburn but I might be wrong.
Auburn 1980????

Yes @Freak but it was back in the 60’s. I’ll find out which team it was for sure (if I can remember to ask). When we played them there in basketball, our fans threw oranges at them.

didn't see it, not old enough, but when I was a kid remember being told it started in BB in Gainesville with a Mears team

Bear Bryant got hit with an orange at Neyland Stadium once. Thats why he stood behind the goal post.

IIRC my Dad mentioned floriduh fans freezing oranges and throwing them at us in the Swamp back in 80's once. He said the Vols had to wear helmets at all times (even on the sideline) This was after one of his strokes before he passed, so it may not be accurate. GBO

IIRC my Dad mentioned floriduh fans freezing oranges and throwing them at us in the Swamp back in 80's once. He said the Vols had to wear helmets at all times (even on the sideline) This was after one of his strokes before he passed, so it may not be accurate. GBO
Sounds like something Florida fans would do.

Auburn…on the Plains. I was at that game and the players wore their helmets on the sidelines and stood in front of the coaches. I mentioned it to an Auburn fan that I met later in life who was also at the game. He claims the local grocery stores ran out of oranges.

Auburn fans hassled us the whole first half and then disappeared in the second. It might have been the first time we played in what is now Jordan-Hare.

Edit: Wrong about the stadium history - Google says it was our 2nd time on the Plains. The first time was 1974 and other “home” games for Auburn were at Legion Field. Home games moved permanently to Auburn starting in 1980.

I miss that rivalry.

Last edited:
Auburn…on the Plains. I was at that game and the players wore heir helmets on the sidelines and stood in front of the coaches. I mentioned it to an Auburn fan that I met later in life who was also at the game. He claims the local grocery stores ran out of oranges.

Auburn fans hassled us the whole first half and then disappeared in the second.
Great story. Thanks.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

And for Auburn Saturday that was Incredible. "We were Just beaten every way known to man," said a disappointed Auburn coach Doug Barfield. "I feel like General Custer and none of my men showed up." The last time an Auburn football team was shut out was in 1976. The Georgia Bulldogs did it, 28-0. It was one of those days for Auburn and Tennessee.

"My mother told me there would be days like this," Barfield said. "I just wasn't quite prepared for It." Tennessee coach Johnny Majors was overwhelmed. "I don't know when I have seen a better overall team effort as a coach." Who would have figured that Tennessee would have scored 42 points against an Auburn team that was actually a 1-point favorite? And who would have predicted a potent offense like Auburn's . would not score a point? Using an orange throwing incident to "fire" them up, the Vols destroyed an impotent Auburn football team to even their record to 2-2. Students fired oranges at Tennessee players at the start of the game and several were thrown at the end.

It was Auburn's first loss of the young season. The Tigers are 2-1. "All the orange throwing did was fire me up," said offensive tackle Tim Irwin. But I would have been disappointed if they hadn't. I enjoy that aspect of the game." Irwin also enjoyed the aspect of the game the Volunteers put together to massacre Auburn.

Last edited:
Auburn Fired Barfield due to that azzkicking. 42-0. Remember it well.
I too was there but what I remember also was after the team did their warm ups and were going back to their tunnel a liquor bottle came out of the stands and either hit coach cafego or barely missed him. He was trailing the team as he was old and didn’t move fast . I think the team was so pissed they weren’t going to let anyone beat them. Barfield was fired that season. The after game call in show was unreal.

VN Store

Back