Does Anybody Else Have A problem With the Current O&W Game Format?

Not everyone has the ability/privilege to go watch practice on Haslam Field like you do. Most of the rest of us enjoyed the O&W "Game" for what it was.

It's also a way for a family outing in a relaxed atmosphere that won't break the bank.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of it is boring and not much fun. I liked the extra activities like the circle of life and one on one better than the plays. Personally I would like to see the number one defense versus the number one offense in a regular game for a few series and they could rest while the number twos played a series or two.

I have thought that it would be good to have the first string offense and second string defense as one team versus the second string offense and first string defense. Play it like a real game. I guess the issue is that we likely don't have enough players to field two full strings.

the ncaa needs to change the rule to allow schools to play each other in spring games to juice ticket sales and make the game watchable. Watching a glorified practice is boring.

I think Butch tries hard to create an atmosphere that makes it fun for the fans and I appreciate that. No spring game was ever exciting. Old format, new format...it's a practice. They can simulate a game, but if you don't want either team to lose then how entertaining can it possibly be?

Ultimately, it's really not about the fans anyway at this time of year. It's what's best for the team that matters. And if Butch thinks this is what's best then I think we should trust him and be thankful for whatever we get. If he thought the traditional format was best, we'd see that. They are only allowed a limited amount of opportunities to practice in the spring and I am confident that Butch is going to get the most out of each one.

Reactions: 2 people
Have you not followed this year's spring practice?? We have 20 plus players..many of which are starters...out due to injury or rehabing from surgeries. This has been the planned format for weeks due to these injuries/rehabs and to hopefully get through this spring without any additional injuries. Not being a smarts$$..but that does matter!

Spring practice important, spring game is not important. It should be just what it is at Tennessee, a fan day with a very little scrimmage and NO injuries!

Reactions: 4 people
I would however like to see spring games, like against Western Carolina, or some other school. I think that would really get fans interested. Play the 1s for a quarter etc, I think it would be better for the fans, and better for the players. You could do the same things as far as no blitzes, not hitting QB, no punt returns, etc. Much like a lot of High Schools do here in Alabama.

A lot of it is boring and not much fun. I liked the extra activities like the circle of life and one on one better than the plays. Personally I would like to see the number one defense versus the number one offense in a regular game for a few series and they could rest while the number twos played a series or two.

Every time I see your home-town, I hear John Ward calling the 85' Sugar Bowl. "..and there wide open, from Miiiiiilan Tennessee, Jeff Smith!!"

I know a lot of people like the whole Barnum & Bailey Midway barker set-up, but I kind of miss the good old traditional spring game. I noticed LSU played right after us and I saw they had ones against ones and twos against twos with referees and a typical game set-up. Anybody else miss that format?

No.

I actually wish we had ours the same way UT did. It was a serious type of practice, the crowd was meh, overall just average imo. I'd like to see us mix it up and get some excitement.

Reactions: 3 people
I like the format for the spring game. Seeing a regular scrimmage like we use to see before Butch got here was a little boring. As now, I went to support the team and hopefully enjoy a beautiful spring day in Neyland Stadium with no stress associated with the outcome. I like the fact that Butch's version allows both the defense and the offense to score. I liked the competitions, too. Enjoy seeing all position groups get some work and see some players I don't yet know. Circle of life and the quarterback competition are cool. Eat a hot dog and sit in the sun while the band plays Rocky Top and the Vols on the field. Lot of families and kids around. I guess I'm just easy to please.

Reactions: 1 person
I bet in 2 years you be charged $5 to go to O & W game to help pay for lawsuit.

Last edited:
If we were healthy yes, but since it's been a joke the last 3 or 4 years with all the injuries, I don't have a problem. It's not as fun but it is what it is

I know a lot of people like the whole Barnum & Bailey Midway barker set-up, but I kind of miss the good old traditional spring game. I noticed LSU played right after us and I saw they had ones against ones and twos against twos with referees and a typical game set-up. Anybody else miss that format?

I agree. I like the traditional game myself. Weve had such bad luck with injuries the last few springs, I guess its wise for Butch to keep it a low level spring again. I dont like the points system though.

OK, going to be civil here, you do realize that the injury list dictated how the spring game would play out right? Oh wait, you didn't! Calm down. come back from the ledge and let CBJ handle this buddy! In Butch We Trust!!!!!!!

Lol. So nice of you to restrain yourself and then act like an a$$. Especially when all the OP did was state his opinion and ask what everyone else thought.
This is a message board where people state their opinions. You did know that didn't you?Oh wait, you didn't.

All are entitled to their opinion. I think the current format is cheesy and definitely prefer full scrimmage work.
I get trying to limit injuries and if that's the reason then it makes sense. This appears to be the annual approach for Butch so who knows.
An actual full scrimmage like they used to do is much more fun to watch. I also think it better for players to develop. If you've ever played, guys develop a lot in full scrimmage work.

I would however like to see spring games, like against Western Carolina, or some other school. I think that would really get fans interested. Play the 1s for a quarter etc, I think it would be better for the fans, and better for the players. You could do the same things as far as no blitzes, not hitting QB, no punt returns, etc. Much like a lot of High Schools do here in Alabama.

Fortunately, that is not allowed by the NCAA. No needing increasing the opportunity for more injuries in the Spring.

I don't mind the drills and stuff but I wish the scoring system and actual game were normal. But I also realize they are given a strict 2 hour window it seems for TV so they have to kind of get through the game without really stressing it being a "game".

Overall, all of them are kind of boring when you get past the initial novelty of it. It's a glorified scrimmage/practice.

watched on TV; haven't been to one since the record setting one in the 80's and I may or may not have been on mushrooms then.

that said, I found it entertaining and like the idea of O vs D with points for both.

Lolololol

OK, going to be civil here, you do realize that the injury list dictated how the spring game would play out right? Oh wait, you didn't! Calm down. come back from the ledge and let CBJ handle this buddy! In Butch We Trust!!!!!!!

I stated I prefer the old format over the new one and your response is 'calm down, come back from the ledge...'?

How's that high school logic course working out for you?

VN Store

Back