Do you know a legalized immigrant?

Volunteer

Personally, I don't but my wife knows a couple of people who went through the process of becoming an american citizen. If you aren't familiar with the process, apparently it is not an easy one. Not only do you have to learn the language, a test is required, strict appointments to be approved have to be met and those who manage the process are very strict.

A couple of questions come to mind with regards to someone who has become an American citizen:

-What is their perspective on immigrants walking into the country unannounced, no papers, etc.
-Are they pissed because amnesty may be given to the illegal aliens?
-Because of their requirement to assimilate themselves as an American (required to be an American citizen), do they feel it is unjust that the illegal alien coming across the border will not be required or have a desire to assimilate themselves?
-What are current immigrants from other countries waiting on visas and work permits thinking about this, does this open the borders up to any illegal alien that manages to walk across a border?
-If this applies to illegals from Mexico only, will there be a backlash of racism by other countries?

Good question Volunteer. I've talked to a few around here in the office (all legalized) and their views are mixed. Most of it depends on how long they have been citizens and how connected they still are to Mexico.

Most of the older ones are more "Americanized" and feel amnesty is wrong. They did the right things to get here and know it works. However, they do understand the desire to come to the US. Most of these have very few ties back to Mex. Many are ashamed it has gotten to where it is now and the stigma it has attached to all of them.

The younger ones are a little torn. More than one said they felt blessed to be here and want to help their families. Most still send money back across. They realize the process is there but feel it needs to change. They also feel amnesty for those who have been here over 5 years is right. After seeing how many have relatives waiting on this, added amnesty for families could cripple us.

The only scary thing was that the younger ones didn't seem to understand the need for tighter borders. It doesn't seem to sink in that people besides Mexicans can and will cross just as easily. Maybe that's the point we really need to emphasize.

Well, that's a report from the front line. I'll be leaving soon so we'll have to rely on Milo for AZ reporting.

I was born in England and moved to America when I was one month shy of turning 10. I did not get my citizenship until I had been in America for 8 years and my father was the man that did all the work, I just had to raise my right hand and be sworn in. I'm proud to be English but I consider myself an american along with my siblings.

Interesting Volsgal, you know, if you ask nationalized (read legal) american citizens of mexican descent, I guarantee their loyalties would lie to Mexico. Honestly, I don't know how I feel about that...As close as I can come to it is to say that I am a Tennessean and have lived in other states.

Yourself being young once you came here may be a different story...I don't know.

If your desire is to become a true American citizen, then your loyalties should lie there....just my opinion.

volunteer I respect your opinion I have been in America for 26 years (August) my father's job transferred us to America no he wasn't in the military he's an engineer. I have family still living in England. I tell people that though I was born in England I am from Tennessee because that was were I grew up and went to high school and were my parents still live.

(volsgal03 @ Apr 14 said:
volunteer I respect your opinion I have been in America for 26 years (August) my father's job transferred us to America no he wasn't in the military he's an engineer. I have family still living in England. I tell people that though I was born in England I am from Tennessee because that was were I grew up and went to high school and were my parents still live.

do you have the tennessee southern accent down now?

(NCGatorBait @ Apr 15 said:
do you have the tennessee southern accent down now?

She does go by "gal," so I'm guessing that's a yes.

(Volunteer @ Apr 14 said:
Personally, I don't but my wife knows a couple of people who went through the process of becoming an american citizen. If you aren't familiar with the process, apparently it is not an easy one. Not only do you have to learn the language, a test is required, strict appointments to be approved have to be met and those who manage the process are very strict.

A couple of questions come to mind with regards to someone who has become an American citizen:

-What is their perspective on immigrants walking into the country unannounced, no papers, etc.
-Are they pissed because amnesty may be given to the illegal aliens?
-Because of their requirement to assimilate themselves as an American (required to be an American citizen), do they feel it is unjust that the illegal alien coming across the border will not be required or have a desire to assimilate themselves?
-What are current immigrants from other countries waiting on visas and work permits thinking about this, does this open the borders up to any illegal alien that manages to walk across a border?
-If this applies to illegals from Mexico only, will there be a backlash of racism by other countries?
I know a huge number of Mexicans (both legal and illegal) in Hillsboro, half of it being a regular El Barrio with a Hispanic population somewhere in the neighborhood of 45% in a town of around 80,000. The majority of them feel the naturalization process is far too difficult and that if it were easier, say basic knowledge of law enforcement and English, then the problem would be partially eliminated. I'd tend to agree with them. Most of them don't agree with amnesty for illegals though.

I think France is having a similar immigraton problem with peoples of impoverished North African countries, and there's a racist backlash similar to what is happening in America with racism towards Mexicans.

I dont know what I sound like I've lived in wv, tn, ohio and now pittsburgh. I've picked up a little from everywhere though people tell me they hear the English accent after 27 years in this country.

(volsgal03 @ Apr 15 said:
I dont know what I sound like I've lived in wv, tn, ohio and now pittsburgh. I've picked up a little from everywhere though people tell me they hear the English accent after 27 years in this country.

:wavey:

my mother inlaw has lived in this country for over 40 years and has never become a citizen she's German through and through. Talking about the accent. one of my friends in college was half Ty, but was from Alabama. therefore you have this person with an Asian face but with a thick southern accent. She told us that she spoke to one of her teachers after class one day and the teachers jaw just dropped.

almost all my wife's family is mexican, and all of them say they feel sorry for them. they all agree though that they should be sent back to mexico and enter america legally as they did 30+ years ago. as my wife's grandma said it takes time, but in the end you get what you want. she also said that these illegals are hurting hard working mexican americans that are in the states.

(smokedog#3 @ Apr 18 said:
almost all my wife's family is mexican, and all of them say they feel sorry for them. they all agree though that they should be sent back to mexico and enter america legally as they did 30+ years ago. as my wife's grandma said it takes time, but in the end you get what you want. she also said that these illegals are hurting hard working mexican americans that are in the states.

It takes 8-15 months to obtain a work visa (with a job on hold) in America. I am sorry, but the industries that are employing th cheap labor from Mexico are not going to hold jobs for a year. Also, the US only grants new citizenship to 1 million persons per year. Most come from more affluent countries with references, esteemed credentials, etc. There are 11 million illegal immigrants from Mexico alone in America. Getting here legally now (not 30+ years ago) is a pipe dream.

Well, here is a question for you:
If there are 11 million jobs being filled by illegal immigrants, and there is a 5% unemployment rate, how many jobs are left unfilled, assuming the unemployed take those jobs?

US Population: 295 Million (including retirees and children)
Assume that the workforce is as high as 200 million: there are still 1 million jobs left to be filled (and that is a high assumption)

that is a good point. the only thing i can say is that 5% unemployed is probably alittle low. there are people who take care of there kids and don't work. there are also people that don't go the unemployment office. john mccain said the other day would you pick letteuce for $50 an hour. would you? i would that is more than i make working robotic maintenance. that just comes back to how they drive down wages though. i see your point though. which one of the immigration bills do you favor. personally i like frists. i don't like bill, but his in my opinion is the best.

that is a good point. the only thing i can say is that 5% unemployed is probably alittle low. there are people who take care of there kids and don't work. there are also people that don't go the unemployment office. john mccain said the other day would you pick letteuce for $50 an hour. would you? i would that is more than i make working robotic maintenance. that just comes back to how they drive down wages though. i see your point though. which one of the immigration bills do you favor. personally i like frists. i don't like bill, but his in my opinion is the best.

I wouldn't pick lettuce for $50/hr. Only because at that point lettuce would probably cost $15 a head, beef would probably cost $30/lb, milk $20/gallon, etc. etc.

People need to understand there are consequences to every action and I don't believe that American security is in such peril that we need to completely give up our way of life.

you have a good point on the first part, but who's way of life are you talking about in the second. americans or illegals?

The American way of life would be completely shot if we were no longer allowed to employ labor at less than $5.50/hr plus full time benefits (or in CA, around $8/hr plus full time benefits.)

Labor unions are/were/have been the main catalysts behind the politics of removing illegal immigrants from the American workforce, and we have all seen the great things that United Auto Workers (the largest union in the US) has done to the American auto industry (which is quite dead.)

i disagree with the first part you have to have more mney than that to live. i will agree with the automakers i've seen this first hand. i would also like to think that toyota and honda have something to do with it.

i disagree with the first part you have to have more mney than that to live. i will agree with the automakers i've seen this first hand. i would also like to think that toyota and honda have something to do with it.

Wages for labor:
$4/hr
50 hours per week
$200/wk
$800/month

Living Expenses:
Rent: $400/month
Food: $300/month
Clothes: $30/month
Basic Utilities: $50/month (less in fall/spring more in summer/winter)

Luxury Expenses that are believed to be Basic Living Expenses in 2006:
Car Payment
Car Insurance
Cable TV
Video Club Membership
Extra money for eating out
etc., etc.

When my parents were in there 20s, they went through a month where they ate cream of mushroom soup for dinner, because they were trying to save up so my Dad could buy a suit for an interview. They kept a dime on the counter and would walk to the local pay phone to call their siblings/friends. They would let it ring twice and hang up, then their siblings/friends would call the pay phone. So, they kept their dime. Now a days, people on welfare have cell phones, digital cable, authentic NBA jerseys, etc. Something has to give soon.

i hear you there. my dad worked in the coal mines in pikeville kentucky before we moved north. we didn't even have indoor plumbing. he got lucky and landed a job at a automotive plant in toledo ohio. what your trying to say is you don't need a car and if you have a car it is against the law not to have insurance. do you have a car. that is just wrong. if you have a car you are a hypocrite.

Smokedog you are a fellow Kentuckian?

The majority of my family is from Bell County Kentucky....

Do you still live in this dreaded state of Ohio?

VN Store

Back