Do We Have Enough D Talent to Stop

Yes, with good coaching, we can be a middle of the pack defense. The good news...we return a lot of players. The bad new...we return a lot of players.

On the line, McCullers, Couch, Sentimore, J Smith, Miller, Hood...all seniors.

AJ is an excellent linebacker. Curt has a chance to be good. From the ones who played in the front seven, Herman is the only one we lose. He was trying hard but slow.

Randolph returning will be key to the secondary. We need for someone to step up. Or bring in a couple of juco's to fill those spots. Bonner or Gray could be a corner. Coleman will benefit from good coaching. O'Neal can be a stud.

We probably have 4-5 NFL players in that mix, so there is some talent there.

Reactions: 6 people
Our problem has been piss poor technique and execution. We have plenty of natural ability on our current roster.

Reactions: 10 people
I will misspell his name here, but Jalen Reeves-Maybin....he will start quickly somewhere. He is a stud!

I just hate we have so long to find out. With the feeling of not really having a season this year, I think the wait for the first game will seem longer than most years.

Reactions: 1 person
As bad as we were last year, we were one stop away in two games which could have lead to victories (Missouri and USCe). CBJ is recruiting Speed! As a coach once told me, you can't coach quickness. Our number one goal is to cut down on giving up huge plays. Too many last year.

Yes, with good coaching, we can be a middle of the pack defense. The good news...we return a lot of players. The bad new...we return a lot of players.

On the line, McCullers, Couch, Sentimore, J Smith, Miller, Hood...all seniors.

AJ is an excellent linebacker. Curt has a chance to be good. From the ones who played in the front seven, Herman is the only one we lose. He was trying hard but slow.

Randolph returning will be key to the secondary. We need for someone to step up. Or bring in a couple of juco's to fill those spots. Bonner or Gray could be a corner. Coleman will benefit from good coaching. O'Neal can be a stud.

We probably have 4-5 NFL players in that mix, so there is some talent there.

I think McNeil will be a stud, I'm not so sure about O'Neil.

The problem on D was a combination of many things, coaching, not enough punishing windsprints after each awful performance, not enough squats/hammy curls + more wind sprints, and coaching. And contrary to popular couch coach speak, you can train/teach speed.

Considering we virtually returned everyone from the year before and that D finished in the top 30, what does that tell you?

Reactions: 5 people
What's amazing is how many of our starters on D are former 4* recruits. You would hope they can be coached up for next year.

Yes. With better schemes and coaching, they should improve considerably this year from total failure to passable. Imo.

They would have been around #60-70 last season if they had stayed in the 4-3 and played 2 deep zone even with the talent issue and injuries. Dumpster fire on the 3-4 scheme, techniques, and play calling. Had they finished there everyone would have still been fighting about Dools because they would have won 2 more games probably.

They should go more 2 deep zone in Jones/Jancek's scheme based on what they ran at Cincy. So going back to the 4-3, having Maggitt and Randolph back, and getting Jordan Williams pass rushing should turn the defense around some.

What still shocks me.. Byron Moore's INT numbers. As lost as he was, you would think he would have 0 interceptions.

But then again, my brother and I always talked about how our defense was so lost that trick plays never worked against us. They didn't know what was going on we never fell for the tricks. A DB would be standing right there looking around when the reverse came. LOL

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back