Do the pros outweigh the cons?

VawlDave

Do the pros outweigh the cons to running a break neck tempo offense if all it takes to kill the drives are fake injuries? What do y’all think?

Do the pros outweigh the cons to running a break neck tempo offense if all takes to kill the drives are fake injuries? What do y’all think?

Last night was first time we saw the cons of the high tempo offense. This is what I expect to happen vs UGA. Didn’t see it coming vs Ole Miss. regardless, our offense should change if Hooker is out long term.

Last night was first time we saw the cons of the high tempo offense. This is what I expect to happen vs UGA. Didn’t see it coming vs Ole Miss. regardless, our offense should change if Hooker is out long term.

If Hooker is out long term, Milton should be behind a one-legged Cade Mays on the QB depth chart.

Also I should say, many things can kill tempo offenses, like not getting first downs..poor playing calling etc. I guess what I’m thinking is that fake injuries are not controllable by the staff whereas the others are and that is what sucks so much about it.

I am still puzzled by the whacky puny runs called with Smalls in the 4th quarter with 2nd and 17, etc. If Evans is there it might be more understandable but that was some Pruitt/Jones level play calling. It could also have gotten the Vol kicker into reasonable field goal range earlier - kid's range is about 35 - 40 yards max. I think the South Carolina second half and the Ole Miss defensive formula will be cloned in future games. Of course if Hooker is out and the way the squad is beat up, the next 3 games are defenseless. Vols sorely missed Evans and the Mayes boys last night. That is still what puzzles me with the runs called - maybe they thought the line could not pass block which was evident also even with a 3 man rush.

Sure looks better than anything Beldar ran out there for 3 years. Yeah it's got its Cons too. Once teams see what you do and have film they can game plan for it a little better. The unaccounted QB runs make this deal go and the running game.. Teams with better personnel will be able to slow it down to a point though. Still better than Pruitt's offense though..

Reactions: VawlDave
Do the pros outweigh the cons to running a break neck tempo offense if all it takes to kill the drives are fake injuries? What do y’all think?

Once again things being used against us will force a change in the rules, a la the 10 second run off being put in. They'll have to put in a rule that if you are injured you have to miss several plays or a drive or something. I'm not exactly sure how to deal with it but something has to be done.

What sucks is it obviously is going to make legit injured people get booed and have people think they are faking.

The reason why we ran on those 2nd and 17 situations was because Ole Miss was dropping back and playing coverage with a 3 man front...if we pass nobody would be open and the 3 guys up front were pass rushing...theroetically we should have been able to pick up big yardage on those called runs, Tiyon Evans would have helped

Reactions: wrharvey21
This flopping crap has been going on for years in the pac 10. 1st no subs should be allowed except for the injured player. 2nd is that players with multiple flops should be held out for medical evaluation like a concussion because if they are down over and over then they must be injured. That’s my thoughts on some sort of a fix.

Next Year will be different and I would expect some rule changes. You run a two-minute offense and can use the same tactics at the end of the game, There will be or needs to be some adjustments as to when an injured player can reenter the game. Campbell had 3 or 4 entries Springer had 2 last night. I did see one Ole Miss player with a Muscle strain bad cramp that you knew was legit. The Lineman with Knee braces and their injuries were of concern as to the extent. I think you go out twice in a game and you should not return.

It really just depends, if the pros are linemen and the cons have been on a hunger strike I would say the odds are good

VN Store

Back