Diy

MSUDuo

Merge if needed.

Anyone ever try and change torsion springs on their garage doors?

YouTube was helpful and seems like a pretty straight forward job. Just dangerous with the springs involved.

Last edited:
Merge if needed.

Anyone ever try and change torsion springs on their garage doors?

YouTube was helpful and seems like a pretty straight forward job. Just dangerous with the springs involved.

A door company will do it for 220$ including the new springs.
Springs cost 120$.
Just pay the guys who do it all the time so it's done correctly.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought about this project a few years ago and was "encouraged" with some horror stories to leave it to the pros. Money well spent.

It depends what I can get quoted for. Everything I've read suggests that it could be north of $300 and I can get springs for $50 a piece.

A lot of things can be dangerous and we don't give it a second thought.

It's easy, just take your time and don't do it drunk, got a bro that owns his own garage door service , he showed me how and I can do just about anything on a garage door, I am quite mechanically inclined, get some metal rods that fit the springs properly and have some one there to help you count and don't miss count your rotations.
Good luck , you'll be aight. Just don't let a Bama fan or grad help you count !

It depends what I can get quoted for. Everything I've read suggests that it could be north of $300 and I can get springs for $50 a piece.

A lot of things can be dangerous and we don't give it a second thought.

If you are near Chattanooga, north gate door will do it for 240$.
That's changing both springs and adjusting the door. I sub stuff to them all the time.

Ive done it. Dangerous. But, if you go slow and proceed step by step, you can do it. It's super simple once you release the energy in the torsion spring.

Got the spring replaced. $166

Now, we have a car that shifts but won't engage as it shifts. Transmission stays in park even as we move the shifter from park to drive and everywhere else.

The hits just keep coming

Now, we have a car that shifts but won't engage as it shifts. Transmission stays in park even as we move the shifter from park to drive and everywhere else.

You are bad luck

Linkage possibly, try and check yourself, I have a 94 explorer w/ 500k on it, happened to me , just replaced the linkage bracket and good to go. But if it's a front wheel drive, sorry good luck, :(

Linkage possibly, try and check yourself, I have a 94 explorer w/ 500k on it, happened to me , just replaced the linkage bracket and good to go. But if it's a front wheel drive, sorry good luck, :(

It's front wheel drive. Little 4 door Suzuki Forenza.

Thankfully it's considered an accident and our deductible is only $250.

It's front wheel drive. Little 4 door Suzuki Forenza.

Thankfully it's considered an accident and our deductible is only $250.

Good! Those Suzukis are bullet proof! Glad you'll catch a break , cars are expensive, new and old!

VN Store

Back