Did we offer Chavis?

Kiffin is so stupid, I'm sure he wouldn't have tried to keep Chief around if his college coaching flop dad decided to maintain a level of dignity and stay in the NFL.

When he had great talent he was a great DC. Regardless, even years where we finished good statistically... he still got embarassed by good offenses.

Wilcox is doing better with the current roster than Chavis would be doing. Not to mention, as others have said, Chavis doesn't recruit.

Kiffin is so stupid, I'm sure he wouldn't have tried to keep Chief around if his college coaching flop dad decided to maintain a level of dignity and stay in the NFL.

Nor would anyone with common sense, but I guess unemployed Fulmer is the only smart one here.

When he had great talent he was a great DC. Regardless, even years where we finished good statistically... he still got embarassed by good offenses.

Wilcox is doing better with the current roster than Chavis would be doing. Not to mention, as others have said, Chavis doesn't recruit.

A bunch of idiots criticizing a coach that is DC for the number 1 team in the nation!! What foolishness it is, trying to justify your mistake in wanting him fired.

Firing Chavis has really worked out great. 3 years later and we sure aren't any better.

If not, why not?

If I were Chavis and I graduated from U.T., and was a coach here for 15 years and knew how Hamilton was and how fickle some of the fans are, I would not even accept the job.
Also, if Chavis is a loyal friend to Fulmer, he would not accept the job.
If my best friend were fired, I would not accept the vacant position. It would not look right. Would you accept the job that is vacant due to your best friend being fired???

Reactions: 1 person
Nor would anyone with common sense, but I guess unemployed Fulmer is the only smart one here.

Ahhh, welcome a Kiffin apologist to the party folks. Anytime someone points out Kiffin is a dullard they show up with Fulmer comments as their only ammunition.

Kiffin chartered an experiment and brought in his dad who can't coach in college. Meanwhile Chavis is scooped up by LSU. One is coaching on the number one team in CFB, the other is drifting into mediocrity.

If I were Chavis and I graduated from U.T., and was a coach here for 15 years and knew how Hamilton was and how fickle some of the fans are, I would not even accept the job.
Also, if Chavis is a loyal friend to Fulmer, he would not accept the job.
If my best friend were fired, I would not accept the vacant position. It would not look right. Would you accept the job that is vacant due to your best friend being fired???

hell. yes.

business is business.

I definitely don't think he couldn't and it's my understanding that he just wouldn't travel to recruit. That doesn't mean he didn't sit down with recruits once they were on campus.

I think that whole thing is a little overblown, I mean he's still John Chavis, name recognition still goes a long way. High school seniors these days still have respect for that man. He's one of the best DC's, probably ever, in college football.

Not sayin we should or shouldn't have offered the guy though. I was as sick of 3rd and Chavis as anyone else.

Sorry but that excuse doesn't float. IIRC, I read that he found his suitcase since going to work for Miles. Travel is pretty easy though to La and East Tx.

There are plenty of DC's with Chavis' ability that WILL recruit and do a great job of it. The day when any coach can decide not to hit the road recruiting are long gone.

Yeah... he's still Chavis alright. MOST DC's could have done what he did or more with the talent he has had. I have been attacked often for this opinion... but I really don't think that much of him as a DC. He's an outstanding LB coach. He's very good at game week planning. He is poor at playcalling and in-game adjustments.

Ahhh, welcome a Kiffin apologist to the party folks. Anytime someone points out Kiffin is a dullard they show up with Fulmer comments as their only ammunition.

Kiffin chartered an experiment and brought in his dad who can't coach in college. Meanwhile Chavis is scooped up by LSU. One is coaching on the number one team in CFB, the other is drifting into mediocrity.

I'll repeat: no one in their right mind would have kept a longtime Fulmer assistant on board. Especially not when they don't recruit and their defenses have been getting blown out of the water in the games that matter.

In 2009, we were 22nd in total defense. The three previous years, we averaged 41st with better players. Would you rather hang with Alabama or let J.P. Wilson and D.J. Hall do whatever they want all day?

Dumb statement.

Where did you play and coach? Better yet, give us your evaluation credentials. Surely your skills are used by major media outlets

Sorry but that excuse doesn't float. IIRC, I read that he found his suitcase since going to work for Miles. Travel is pretty easy though to La and East Tx.

There are plenty of DC's with Chavis' ability that WILL recruit and do a great job of it. The day when any coach can decide not to hit the road recruiting are long gone.

Yeah... he's still Chavis alright. MOST DC's could have done what he did or more with the talent he has had. I have been attacked often for this opinion... but I really don't think that much of him as a DC. He's an outstanding LB coach. He's very good at game week planning. He is poor at playcalling and in-game adjustments.

The lackeys aren't likely to receive this too well, but I agree 100%

You're using games we won to point out a bad job by the defense?

I know counting is tough but we went 3-6 in those games...

And anyway, uh, yeah. Would you be happy if we pulled an Air Force and beat Buffalo by one point giving up 450 yards?

I'll repeat: no one in their right mind would have kept a longtime Fulmer assistant on board. Especially not when they don't recruit and their defenses have been getting blown out of the water in the games that matter.

In 2009, we were 22nd in total defense. The three previous years, we averaged 41st with better players. Would you rather hang with Alabama or let J.P. Wilson and D.J. Hall do whatever they want all day?

I'll take door number 3 - I don't want to "hang with Alabama", I want to beat them so bad their kids will hurt.

That's a notch in the belt neither of the last two coaches have.

You're using games we won to point out a bad job by the defense?

Oh, and by the way, the three we DID win (barely, each time) were Air Force, Vandy, and Kentucky. Meanwhile, we mostly got destroyed by the actual good teams.

I know counting is tough but we went 3-6 in those games...

And anyway, uh, yeah. Would you be happy if we pulled an Air Force and beat Buffalo by one point giving up 450 yards?

This is where the Kiffin-crew struggles. A win is a win.

Kiffin-crew logic:
A close win = a loss (used for trashing Fulmer)
A close loss = a win (used for moral victories with UF and UAT)

I'll take door number 3 - I don't want to "hang with Alabama", I want to beat them so bad their kids will hurt.

So you're saying you want neither Chavis nor Monte, which is saying we shouldn't have kept Chavis. I'm glad we agree.

Kiffin-crew logic:

So it's not possible to win despite a terrible showing by the defense? Interesting.

Dumb statement.

Where did you play and coach? Better yet, give us your evaluation credentials. Surely your skills are used by major media outlets

My credentials are I sit on the couch, drink beer, and watch football. It doesn't take much to see that Monte has struggled in his transition to college.

Kiffin-crew logic:

So everone that thinks CPF was overrated is a Kiffin lover?

IE logic = Don't know too much about it, but will speak as though I know anyway. LOL

Then why do you enjoy giving up 500+ yards to a John Parker Wilson-led team that lost to Louisiana-Monroe? We can't stop D.J. Hall and you expected Chavis to stop Julio Jones?

VN Store

Back