Did Downs come back?

If I'm not mistaken, Downs was injured last summer before the season even started. Recovered at least somewhat, played within the limits of the play-calling, got injured again, I believe, leading to this off-season rehab. Behind him were first-year men Branisel, Quinn, and Ellis got injured also. No, was not a good year for TE production, but wrong to lay it all at Downs' feet.

What blocking?

He got beat some I remember Clowney just mowing him over but he also made some good blocks not only last year but as a sophmore and he played a lot as a freshman. He also was playing banged up last year his Junior year. I think he plays a lot , Helm and Wolfe will definetly be better TE after all is said and done but to come in and ask them as TRUE F to block some of the SEC/future NFL D linemen is a bit much. I think they will work them in and pick their spots.

Reactions: 1 person
He got beat some I remember Clowney just mowing him over but he also made some good blocks not only last year but as a sophmore and he played a lot as a freshman. He also was playing banged up last year his Junior year. I think he plays a lot , Helm and Wolfe will definetly be better TE after all is said and done but to come in and ask them as TRUE F to block some of the SEC/future NFL D linemen is a bit much. I think they will work them in and pick their spots.

Right now Wolf has almost 30lbs on Downs. Wolf is young but he's one of those kids that are wise beyond their years. He's tough and he will do just fine blocking IMO.

I hate to even go further into this because I hate saying anything negative about players that try and give their all on the field but it was painful to watch him last year. I'm hoping it was just injury or something like that but if that is what we get this year any option is better than that option.

I hate to even go further into this because I hate saying anything negative about players that try and give their all on the field but it was painful to watch him last year. I'm hoping it was just injury or something like that but if that is what we get this year any option is better than that option.

I've heard Downs played all or most of the season with a gimpy knee. The guy practiced all season with a no contact jersey and was on crutches the day after the season ended.

He may not have been a world beater, but he manned the f*** up and gave his all for Tennessee last season. He probably won't see as much time this season, but he doesn't deserve the insults and dismissal that many on this board have given him.

Reactions: 7 people
I've heard Downs played all or most of the season with a gimpy knee. The guy practiced all season with a no contact jersey and was on crutches the day after the season ended.

He may not have been a world beater, but he manned the f*** up and gave his all for Tennessee last season. He probably won't see as much time this season, but he doesn't deserve the insults and dismissal that many on this board have given him.

There is no reason to lie and say that he has potential to start. It isn't like there is vitriol going in his direction. Our TE play was the worst I have ever seen at Tennessee last year and may have been a bigger impedance to success than QB play in 2013. He may have had potential prior to his knee injury in 2012, but as it stands now, him being on the field in an SEC game can only be seen as a bad thing.

Well-stated. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
There is no reason to lie and say that he has potential to start. It isn't like there is vitriol going in his direction. Our TE play was the worst I have ever seen at Tennessee last year and may have been a bigger impedance to success than QB play in 2013. He may have had potential prior to his knee injury in 2012, but as it stands now, him being on the field in an SEC game can only be seen as a bad thing.

Slightly better than Finlynson

Out tight end play was rather poor....not sure what else to say on that. Perhaps it was injuries? Losing Clear hurt bad at that position.

The two new ones look good!

He has played injured for the last two seasons. Hurt his knee during fall camp before his sophomore year. Should have been given a red shirt one of those years but took the Friday night pain killers and played injured because he was less injured than the other TEs. Had surgery in Dec., so should be better now that he can use both legs. Some of you are not fans or you wouldn't bash an injured player who has given his all for Tennessee. Maybe the coaches shouldn't have put him out there with that injury. Not his fault. He gave his all.

Reactions: 5 people
Out tight end play was rather poor....not sure what else to say on that. Perhaps it was injuries? Losing Clear hurt bad at that position.

The two new ones look good!

Yep. Cam Clear stealing a lap top hurt us at TE.

Meredith was a top TE prospect but had to give up football for another chronic injury. I think he would have been better than Clear.
If you had him and Clear TE looks a lot different last year. When you have no depth injuries are all the worse.

i just thought, in terms of his size, that he looked like your prototypical tight end. I sit in section L and saw a number of plays where he was obviously hobbled, yet never came out (or was pulled out). I hope he kills it this year, though the fact that he's not dressed out for Spring does have me a bit concerned.

Either way, it just seems like we play so mcuh better with a solid tight end. Excited for 2014....even though projections are less than favorable. VFL baby...VFL.

Can't fathom people thinking all of these freshmen are coming out of the gate starting game 1, a few maybe..one or two,otherwise it's just not happening ..

A TE should never be set up to block Clowney. One of the few questionable coaching decisions I saw last year.

Meredith was a top TE prospect but had to give up football for another chronic injury. I think he would have been better than Clear.
If you had him and Clear TE looks a lot different last year. When you have no depth injuries are all the worse.

Clear is and was a way better TE then Meredith could have dreamed of being. With that said too bad he can't even be close to as good of a person as Meredith is.

:clapping::rock:
Brendan Downs is down 20 pounds to 228. Initially, I thought that might be a typo, but fellow tight end A.J. Branisel also dropped 11 pounds to 224. A strategy to make the tight ends more nimble? A coincidence? A typo? I’ll try to find out. (Update: I’m told the lower weights are, in fact, accurate as listed.)

Downs and Branisel had to loose the weight for surgery and the rehab process. They are well on the way back to rejoining the team and getting back to their normal playing weight. Looking forward to seeing both of them back this summer.:clapping:

:clapping::rock:

Downs and Branisel had to loose the weight for surgery and the rehab process. They are well on the way back to rejoining the team and getting back to their normal playing weight. Looking forward to seeing both of them back this summer.:clapping:

Hopefully they'll be back healthy to add depth at TE behind Helm and Wolf.

VN Store

Back