Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees arrival

A lot of coach speak in there....saying the incoming guys have a chance to contribute is talking to current recruits ("come here and play early") and breads a competitive spirit with current players ("no incoming freshman is going to take my job!") so they work harder in the summer. Secondly, what coach have you heard say after any practice or spring game....."no more work to do here, we'll just lay back and wait on the season! Lastly, I think too many are putting stock into the "Spring Game" the last second scrimage is way more telling of what we are as a team....first teamers against first teamers.

First, you're reading into it too much. We are not terrible. Our talent is much better than it was last year, and we still have a lot of room to improve. But, far from terrible.

Secondly, 7-8 wins is what everyone was realistically expecting anyway... Were you hoping for a 14-0 season w/a BCS National Championship title? :crazy:

Lastly, everything CDD said is stuff everyone already knows anyway. No new news here.

Even though this isn't new news to you and I , there will still be fans expecting a 14-0 season.

I too eagerly await their arrival.....but Sat's group weren't terrible. They are the kind of team you have when you replace the two leading WR and TE. I saw better OL play and a better running game. The D was lucky if TB had had an avg day we would have seen how weak the D really is.

Last edited:
Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees' arrival GoVolsXtra

AKA The current group of guys we have right now are average. Expect a 7-8 win type of season.

“We’re deeper than we were a year ago. I think when we get these 20 more guys, hopefully they’ll (help). The real question is going to be how many are ready to help us this year. They may not be ready the first game, but we’re going to keep developing them. I’m not sure we’re going to have where we can say we have depth until a year from now. We just don’t.” Telling comment from Coach Dooley.
fyp

Florida is in a state of upheaval.

Tennessee is not.

Florida, regardless of talent, is going to experience a severe learning curve from both the players and the head coach.

It's not absurd to expect Tennessee to compete with, you know, one of its biggest rivals.

It is going to take them at least 2 seasons of recruiting to get players that fit the pro set system.The players they have now are for Urban Meyers spread Option attack.:thumbsup:

Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees' arrival GoVolsXtra

AKA The current group of guys we have right now are terrible. Expect a 7-8 win type of season.

“We’re deeper than we were a year ago. I think when we get these 20 more guys, hopefully they’ll (help). The real question is going to be how many are ready to help us this year. They may not be ready the first game, but we’re going to keep developing them. I’m not sure we’re going to have where we can say we have depth until a year from now. We just don’t.” Telling comment from Coach Dooley.

Dooley is one heck of a young coach

Florida is in a state of upheaval.

Tennessee is not.

Florida, regardless of talent, is going to experience a severe learning curve from both the players and the head coach.

It's not absurd to expect Tennessee to compete with, you know, one of its biggest rivals.

Florida is in a state of upheaval. ?? Really?? Coaching change does not necessarily amount to "upheaval". They have a good coach, an OC who is a great OC (just wasn't a great head coach) and a good DC fresh out of the NFL. They won't run the Urban spread Offense and will run a more pro-set which should mean Brantley will do much much better.

Plus they are still ahead of UT talent-wise. I'll be surprised if they aren't at least as good as they were last year...

I live near Gainesville, so I see and hear the info first hand, and the Gators are not expecting a fall off.....

just saying

I don't really care about the win total for us this season. I want signature wins. We've played these terrible games where we get so close (Bama and Fl in '09, UNC and LSU in '10) and then screw it up at the end.

I'd rather have a 6 win season if two of them come from the grouping of Florida, Bama, LSU than have a 7-8 win season where we beat Georgia and the rest of the runts we play.

Ultimately, the lack of signature wins has been a huge issue for Tennessee since the early 2000s. Stomping UGA in '07 was fun. Beating Florida in '04 was awesome. Those are the only really big wins I can think of in the last 6-7 years.

'06 UGA,'06 Cal,'05 LSU are some other ones.

Plus they are still ahead of UT talent-wise. I'll be surprised if they aren't at least as good as they were last year...
If they are only "at least as good" then UT will beat them IMO. UT will be much more talented than last year when they had a very good shot at beating them until some unforced mistakes iced it.

I think they may be beatable for UT this year... but I'm not sold either way.

I live near Gainesville, so I see and hear the info first hand, and the Gators are not expecting a fall off.....

just saying
By and large, Gator fans are more delusional than the most rabid kool-aid drinker on this site. Of course they aren't expecting a drop off.

Their expectations have no bearing on how it will go.
Muschamp may be great or he may be Zook. Some people with insight on both guys seem to think he's alot like Zook.

Weis is a very good coach but he got talent to ND and still didn't light up the scoreboard. The D's and DC's he'll face will be better than what he saw at ND.

Not sure how optimism about an unknown first year DC can be answered except that "we'll see".

I may be the only one that thinks this, but um the vols are awesome.

Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols! Go Vols!

I'm a little excited. I can hardly wait.

Is it September yet?

If they are only "at least as good" then UT will beat them IMO. UT will be much more talented than last year when they had a very good shot at beating them until some unforced mistakes iced it.

I think they may be beatable for UT this year... but I'm not sold either way.

By and large, Gator fans are more delusional than the most rabid kool-aid drinker on this site. Of course they aren't expecting a drop off.

Their expectations have no bearing on how it will go.
Muschamp may be great or he may be Zook. Some people with insight on both guys seem to think he's alot like Zook.

Weis is a very good coach but he got talent to ND and still didn't light up the scoreboard. The D's and DC's he'll face will be better than what he saw at ND.

Not sure how optimism about an unknown first year DC can be answered except that "we'll see".

I agree with your assessment. My intent wasn't to say that UF is 100% going to be great rather that the posts claiming a victory by our vols over the gaters is all but a "lock" need to consider things they obviously aren't

An entirely new coaching staff at UF does add uncertainty, Muschamp may in fact turn out to be the second coming of Zook. He may be the next Urban Meyer, he may be somewhere in between.

Weis is better than a good OC, he's a great OC - go back and look at ND's offensive numbers while he was there - they finished in the top 15 in all of college football in most categories in 05, 06, 07, etc.... and he had to take time away from just focusing on offense to be the head coach - I'm not a weis fan, just giving credit where credit is due.

Like you said, they may be beatable, maybe. I'm not getting my hopes up. Like I said, I think even with the coaching changes, they are still a year or two ahead of us at this point. I hope I'm wrong

Hey even zook got a great whoopin on us at home. He even got sexy rexy to beat up on us. I still think they need more than a year with weisfense. UF's M.O. has been misdirection deception for 6 years. I think weise will want them to line up and run the non-gimmicky offense approach. I wouldn't be surprised if they struggle till the last half of the season before being decent. This may be the perfect year for UT to play them early in the year.

Florida is in a state of upheaval. ?? Really?? Coaching change does not necessarily amount to "upheaval". They have a good coach, an OC who is a great OC (just wasn't a great head coach) and a good DC fresh out of the NFL. They won't run the Urban spread Offense and will run a more pro-set which should mean Brantley will do much much better.

just saying

Florida is a spread-built team that's going to be running a pro style offense. How well did a reversed situation work out for Rich Rodriguez?

VN Store

Back