Derek Barnett ONLY Player In SEC History....

Was better than Miles from the start. Media been stupid about it the whole time.

In college? Sure.

But as a pro prospect? Hell no.

I love Barnett and appreciate his incredible play this year but he's not in the same hemisphere as Myles Garrett when it comes to projecting to the NFL.

Myles Garrett is the next Bruce Smith IMO. He's the same size (about 6'4" 265 lbs) and has similar strength and explosiveness. Myles Garrett should be the no-brainer #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I wouldn't say the same for Barnett. He's more of a late 1st round/early 2nd round prospect in value. His NFL comparison is Charles Johnson of the Panthers.

Barnett reminds me of Dwight Freeney a lot...the so called undersized DE that just gets it done all because he is a bit "short" for a DE people underestimate him. I think the situation he is in is optimal actually always robin to Garrett's batman. Lets him have a chip and be underestimated. The singular worry I have about Barnett is his lack of stats vs scrub teams.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. In big games and big moments he always steps up... big-time. He does not disappear in the other moments and games it just seems like the fire is not the same. All I know is he owes us 3 more sacks over these next 2 games. If he does not deliver he will be the 3rd best Defensive player to ever play at UT instead of number 2.

My current mental rankings
1 Reggie White
2 Eric Berry
3 Derek Barnett

I don't care if he gets 10 sacks each in the next 2 games he can't pass Reggie in my heart. If he breaks the record I give him a tie with Eric Berry for 2

Dwight Freeney ran a 4.4 40 at the combine. He was a complete freak of an athlete.

I personally don't see that comparison at all. Barnett is not that explosive and gets his sacks mostly due to technique and hustle.

In college? Sure.

I love Barnett and appreciate his incredible play this year but he's not in the same hemisphere as Myles Garrett when it comes to projecting to the NFL.

Myles Garrett is the next Bruce Smith IMO. He's the same size (about 6'4" 265 lbs) and has similar strength and explosiveness. Myles Garrett should be the no-brainer #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I wouldn't say the same for Barnett. He's more of a late 1st round/early 2nd round prospect in value. His NFL comparison is Charles Johnson of the Panthers.

Yet Barnett is being mocked into the top 10.

Reactions: 1 person
DB is a once in a generation type of player. It has been and honor and a joy to watch him wreak havoc in Orange and White.

Attachments

• Midget+dancing_e11fa1_5473530.gif
    Midget+dancing_e11fa1_5473530.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
In college? Sure.

holy cow. i agree. said it a couple times already.

i do think Barnett's a higher grade than early 2nd/late 1st. his production can't be ignored. but as NFL bodies go, Garrett's got one, and then some...no argument.

I really REALLY hope Barnett ends up in Nashville on draft day. The man could become a state legend.

i'd love it he came to the Panthers. or the Steelers, but sadly, the Steelrs run a 3-4, and he wouldn't fit.

but if the panthers keep sucking, who knows, we may be drafting in a spot where we could actually get him....

So he has got 3 games (at a minimum) to get 3 more sacks.

Was Reggie's numbers based on 3 years or 4 years?

Yet Barnett is being mocked into the top 10.

And he might go that high.

The late 1st round/early 2nd round is more of my own projection. Its where I would draft him. Not where I think he will go.

I think he goes in the middle of the first round personally. He'll be mocked in the top 10 right now. Then he'll fall slightly after the combine because I don't expect him to test that well.

I think Barnett ultimately gets drafted anywhere from 10-20.

And he might go that high.

The late 1st round/early 2nd round is more of my own projection. Its where I would draft him. Not where I think he will go.

I think he goes in the middle of the first round personally. He'll be mocked in the top 10 right now. Then he'll fall slightly after the combine because I don't expect him to test that well.

I think Barnett ultimately gets drafted anywhere from 10-20.
pass rushers that stop the run....there's just not that many of them out there, everybody needs them.

it's garrett and barnett as the top 2. i could definitely see him in the top 8. it's a position of need...DE, OT, QB....those guys get drafted high.

as for the combine, i tend to agree, i don't know that he'll test out all that great, but as you said, he makes up for a lot of that with technique and effort. and as most scouts will tell you...they pay more attention to the tape than they do what he does in shorts and a t shirt in Indy.

wrap it all up, and you have an elite pass rusher from the SEC that's setting records for TFL and sacks......

Garrett may go 1st. but i don't see Barnett falling to the teens, much less 20. that'd be a steal. the teams that will be drafting that high will likely have needs at one or more of those positions i mentioned above....and those that have DE as a need will likely have those two guys at the top of their board.

In college? Sure.

The only reason Garrett will be drafted higher is because he's got an NFL ready body. Production wise Barnett has outplayed Garrett against better competition. Look at the stats in the SEC. I'm not even convinced Garrett is the better player, yet, even close to the #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft?

i think 3. if memory serves Reggie was here 80-82...

80-83. He was here for 4 years. Though to be fair, he didn't start every game as a freshman, so had limited playing time that year. At least compared to Barnett who started the season opener of his freshman year.

Fun fact, almost half of Reggie's record came in his senior year where he exploded for 15 sacks in that one season, which is also a school record.

80-83. He was here for 4 years. Though to be fair, he didn't start every game as a freshman, so had limited playing time that year. At least compared to Barnett who started the season opener of his freshman year.

Fun fact, almost half of Reggie's record came in his senior year where he exploded for 15 sacks in that one season, which is also a school record.

:thumbsup: thanks.

Barnett reminds me of Dwight Freeney a lot...the so called undersized DE that just gets it done all because he is a bit "short" for a DE people underestimate him. I think the situation he is in is optimal actually always robin to Garrett's batman. Lets him have a chip and be underestimated. The singular worry I have about Barnett is his lack of stats vs scrub teams.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. In big games and big moments he always steps up... big-time. He does not disappear in the other moments and games it just seems like the fire is not the same. All I know is he owes us 3 more sacks over these next 2 games. If he does not deliver he will be the 3rd best Defensive player to ever play at UT instead of number 2.

My current mental rankings
1 Reggie White
2 Eric Berry
3 Derek Barnett

I don't care if he gets 10 sacks each in the next 2 games he can't pass Reggie in my heart. If he breaks the record I give him a tie with Eric Berry for 2

Not sure how anyone could possibly leave Mr Doug Atkins off a greatest defensive player at UT list. If sacks were a state when he played, he may very well have the record that Barnett is chasing.

Reactions: 3 people
you do know Garrett's missed 2 games this year right?

these two guys are animals. i don't get why everyone is in such a rush to say Barnett is better. even if he is better, is it really by this wide margin? same for Garrett.

i will say this, last year Garrett tore it up. big time. this year he's been hampered by injuries.

they'll both probably go in the top 8 in the draft. they'll both probably be very good to great in the NFL.

i siap, but Garrett reminds more of a julius peppers/Javon Kearse type DE, where Barnett reminds me more a Charles Johnson/john abraham type. i like Garrett's athletic ability, and his long arms, a tad more, but i like Barnett's motor and physicality a little more. and i think he's a better leader.

alot will depend on what kind of situation they land in, in the NFL.

as for Barnett's career at UT...we're lucky to have him, and he will be missed. dude is just special.

I see this posted and/or mentioned a lot.

I disagree.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a DE in college that can go horizontal rounding the edge the way that DB does.

That is every bit, if not more, athletic than anything Garrett does.

JMO of course. Both are great players, but I would take DB over MG any day of the week.

Reactions: 2 people
I see this posted and/or mentioned a lot.

I disagree.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a DE in college that can go horizontal rounding the edge the way that DB does.

That is every bit, if not more, athletic than anything Garrett does.

JMO of course. Both are great players, but I would take DB over MG any day of the week.

i did say just a tad. it's not like i said DB was unathletic......

Don't say your good byes yet. He could get some draft insurance and play another year with the Vols.

If it turns out that this is his last year, I've got no beef with that, he is a VFL and I am a Barnett fan no matter which NFL team was lucky to get him.

Time to set some records DB.

Go Vols!

There's not a lot left for DB to learn or pick up on The Hill. He needs to go and I think our staff will be sure to let him know that as well. 1st rounder IMO.

VN Store

Back