Depth Chart - UT Football team guess

I think I'm about the only one that thinks Kongbo is going to tear it up this year. I think he has a very productive year.
We were all excited about him signing with us. But as soon as he struggled a little bit many fans immediately assigned him to the hot garbage bin. That's an unfortunate tendency on football message boards

BRANDON AND JG ARE BEST FRIENDS. THESE ARE MY OPINONS FROM WHAT I SAW LAST SEASON. IF BUTCH WAS HERE YES, BUT IMO I JUST FEEL LIKE PEOPLE NEED TO FACTOR IN THE NEW COACH COMING IN HE GOING TO WANT HIS QB. I FEEL LIKE JG GOING TO HAVE TO BE TWICE OR GOOD OR BETTER TO GET THE STARTING JOB AT QB. AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN. I HOPE IM WRONG.
YOU USUALLY ARE! SPEAKING OF BUTCH, NICE CALL GUARANTEEING HE’D BE BACK! IS THAT THE KIND OF “WRONG” YOU’RE HOPING TO BE? BECAUSE IT NEVER TAKES TOO MUCH EFFORT! WHEN IS COACH HOKE SHOWING UP?

I think I'm about the only one that thinks Kongbo is going to tear it up this year. I think he has a very productive year.
I'm on the fence.
On one hand, I've been really disappointed with his production. On the other, he absolutely has the physical traits. So if we're handing out "---- from a real coach" he has potential.

And on that freakishly abnormal 3rd hand, players like Barnett and Dobbs didn't need to wait on a different coach.

Reactions: MustafaRasta
I think it is too early to tell ... because Pruitt WILL do whatever his players can do best. So, thinking starters and 2 deep have less meaning .... when a corner goes down and you roll the safety into the corner and bring in a new safety - that's putting your best players on the field.

Personally, ... QB too close to call. We will rarely see 3 WRs. And Chance Hall and Trey Smith might not start ... if the staff opts to bring them along slowly. We should have more clarity after the scrimmage this Sunday. RB is a dogfight ... the only way you can guess who is first is roll dice ... we have at least 4 very talented RBs.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Ok I’m going to take a shot at it here. ...
I have to give you credit for bravery. Save this off and when the depth chart comes out ... give yourself one point for every match.
I think you score 10 on O and 12 on D. Not to shabby. Our group at work scores 24 to 29. FWIW we subtract points if you list FB and that position is not listed.

Ok I’m going to take a shot at it here. Some of these positions are easy but some are hard to guess. Here is my 2 Deep... anyone agree or disagree? I’d like to read your opinions...

Offense
QB - Cryst/ Guarantano
RB - Chandler/ London
TE - Wood-Anderson/ Wolf
FB - Pope/ Blakeley
WR - Jennings/ Tillman
WR - Calloway/ Latrell Williams
WR - B. Johnson/ Byrd
OT - Richmond/ Tatum
OG - Trey Smith/ Locklear
C - Kennedy/ Johnson
OG - Ryan Johnson/ Locklear
OT - Hall/ Tatum

Defense
DE - Phillips/ Butler
NT - Tuttle/ Gooden
DE - A. Johnson/ K. Bennett
OLB - D. Taylor/ Austin Smith
ILB - Kirkland/ Sapp
ILB - Bituli/ Ignont
OLB - Kongbo/ DeAndre Johnson
Corner - Alontae Taylor/ Osborne
Corner - Kenneth George Jr./ Thompson
Nickel - Shawnberger/ Theo jackson
S - Warrior/ Todd Kelly
S - Abernathy/ Flowers

JG looks the part now. I agree and really like the rest!

WVU GTFO!

👍🤞

QB. JG/ KC
RB. C/J
TE. DWA/E-dub
WR. J/T
FL. C/P
SL. Greazy/M
LT. R
RG. ...
C. K
LG...
RT...

DE. P/BAIN
NT. T/ G
DE. J/ E
OLB. B/K
ILB. S/I
MLB. K/I
OLB. T/ J
CB. T/O
CB. T/ B
FS. W/ A
SS. K/ J

He has literally posted that exact same line about the SC game atleast 7 times.
Lmao....don't you dare...lol omg I'm dying over here....
At least seven times???? Jeez dude how many times have you posted about completion percentages?
It's at least a hundred. I'll go count them.

Agree I think Chryst going to be the starter. This going to be the type of season where Pruitt just want a game manager somebody that can move the chains when need be run the ball. Tillman not going to make the two deep because Palmer already taking 1st team reps in Jennings spot due to injury.

If Jennings not ready for week 1 then don't be surprise You see Brandon play that position he been working there all Summer and Fall camp. The insiders not telling you that. 1st and 2nd scrimmages will tell you everything. Who in the hell is Kenneth George at the Corner? What happen to Buchannan?
I don't think Brandon has the athleticism or physicality to really excel outside. His home is in the slot.

The oline was bad, but JG's sack numbers are not just the fault of the o-line.

USCe had 7 sacks against us, more than tripple their per-game average. 1 was an unblocked LB on a 5-man rush, 2 were the line collapsing immediately, 2 were the line collapsing after 3 seconds, and 3 we're JG rolling out of the pocket and being sacked because he didn't throw it away when he couldn't find an open receiver.

Seems like the two problems kind of compounded each other. Better coaching can fix those issues. Having a bad arm isn't something film study and experience usually fixes, though.

BRANDON AND JG ARE BEST FRIENDS. THESE ARE MY OPINONS FROM WHAT I SAW LAST SEASON. IF BUTCH WAS HERE YES, BUT IMO I JUST FEEL LIKE PEOPLE NEED TO FACTOR IN THE NEW COACH COMING IN HE GOING TO WANT HIS QB. I FEEL LIKE JG GOING TO HAVE TO BE TWICE OR GOOD OR BETTER TO GET THE STARTING JOB AT QB. AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN. I HOPE IM WRONG.
Same logic doesn't go for Tillman and Brandon, though, does it?

Just a few thoughts:

1. The starter at RB probable won't mean much. We're gonna split reps pretty heavily between at least two guys. I think Chandler and Jordan get the lion's share of the carries and London plays situationally.

2. Pruitt mentioned they're probably just gonna put Smith wherever they need him most. Unless (or until) Hall comes back healthy, that's likely at OT. Richmond still isn't a great OT and Tatum is a really big liability at RT. We have more options at OG than we do at OT with guys like Carvin, Locklear, Johnson, and maybe even Calbert being viable options. Not so many good options at OT.

3. So far on the DL there's been more positive talk about newcomers than Butler or Bennett. I think we see 1 or 2 of John Mincey, Kingston Harris, or Kurot Garland beat out those two for spots in the two deep. I think we'll probably primarily see 4 guys, (Phillips, Tuttle, Johnson, and Gooden) get a lot of work on the DL against WVU. Against ETSU and UTEP I imagine the coaches will feel more comfortable seeing what they can get from guys like Butler, Bennett, Mincey, Garland, and Harris.

4. How exactly Sapp and DK will split reps is one of the most intriguing questions about our defense, IMO. I wonder how much we may get to see Bituli, Sapp, and DK on the field together in some packages.

5. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a safety take some of those reps at NB.

Offense
QB - Guarantano/ Cryst
RB - Chandler/ Jordan/ London/
TE - Wood-Anderson/ Wolf
FB - Blakely/ Pope
WR - Jennings/ Tillman
WR - Calloway/ Murphy
WR - B. Johnson/ Byrd
OT - Richmond/ Tatum
OG - Trey Smith/ Locklear
C - Kennedy/ Johnson
OG - Ryan Johnson/ Locklear
OT - Tatum / Hall

Defense
DE - Phillips/ Butler
NT - Tuttle/ Gooden
DE - A. Johnson/ K. Bennett
OLB - D. Taylor/ Jordan Allen
ILB - Kirkland/ Sapp
ILB - Bituli/ Ignont
OLB - Kongbo/ DeAndre Johnson
Corner - Alontae Taylor/ Osborne
Corner - Baylen Buchannon/ Kenneth George
Nickel - Shawnberger/ Labruzza
S - Warrior/ Theo Jackson or Flowers
S - Abernathy/ Todd Kelley... however I think there will packages for both at the same time.

IMO I think this is how it will be
Pretty close as we stand right now IMO. I'm more optimistic on Hall than you. Byrd is also having a great camp from what's being reported. I like B Johnson a lot.... but Byrd can give you explosive plays.

I'm not quite buying Kongbo yet. All the physical ability in the world but we just haven't seen it translate to production. I know Jones screwed with him though so maybe the new start and 3-4 will bring out the best.

You don't think Bryce Thompson factors at CB?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
JG is starting

Yes, he has been taking the majority of the snaps in practice and has looked the best through the first week. Right now, it's certainly his job to lose. IMHO, if he has a good scrimmage this weekend, then he should be named the starter so the team can get behind him and start preparing for WVU.

Reactions: JazzMaster001
You are more right than wrong my friend. Not for sure about the QB situation. I definitely don't put much worth in what all these sports writers say along with all the professional volnation gurus. I would personally start Chryst because of the experience and see how JG handles himself on the sidelines. He was very childish last year and seemed to panic every time he was given a pass play. So good job with the picks. I'm going to say you are 90% correct.

I’m going to say that 12 starters will never be 90% correct, and go out on a limb and suggest that our new coach will not choose our starting QB using your method (use the start to gauge someone else’s reaction?)
It’s almost here, the rampant speculation will ease up a bit, but OP is off a bit in his 2 deep

Reactions: butchna
JG is winning the job thus far in practice and expect he will start game one. Don't know if he will finish but definitely looks to be the starter.

Pretty close as we stand right now IMO. I'm more optimistic on Hall than you. Byrd is also having a great camp from what's being reported. I like B Johnson a lot.... but Byrd can give you explosive plays.

I'm not quite buying Kongbo yet. All the physical ability in the world but we just haven't seen it translate to production. I know Jones screwed with him though so maybe the new start and 3-4 will bring out the best.

You don't think Bryce Thompson factors at CB?

Oh If Chance Hall is healthy I think he absolutely will be on the field no doubt.

I think we will see Thompson but I don’t think he will be our starter at the beginning of the season is all

I’m going to say that 12 starters will never be 90% correct, and go out on a limb and suggest that our new coach will not choose our starting QB using your method (use the start to gauge someone else’s reaction?)
It’s almost here, the rampant speculation will ease up a bit, but OP is off a bit in his 2 deep
You need to understand football my friend. He I said not saying that 12 starters will be on the field. You don't always have a nickel out there but when you do, it will be such and such. You want always have a full back out there, but when you do it will be such and such. When those positions are filled, then some other position will be off the field. So yes, 90% is correct. You will see when season strts how close OP is to being right.

You need to understand football my friend. He is not saying that 12 starters will be on the field. You don't always have a nickel out there but when you do, it will be such and such. You want always have a full back out there, but when you do it will be such and such. When those positions are filled, then some other position will be off the field. So yes, 90% is correct. You will see when season strts how close OP is to being right.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
JG last year was like....one bottled beer ofpn the wall, two bottles of beer on the wall...running...sacked, or in the dirt, or dropped. Whoever can step up to throw and catch for the Vols works for me. I remember the days when reports of QBs sneaking into Neyland on moonlit nights with WRs to throw and catch until they could do it in the dark.

JG is winning the job thus far in practice and expect he will start game one. Don't know if he will finish but definitely looks to be the starter.
I hope the starter for game one is the starter for the last game.... same goes for the OL. IMO, those positions are the most sensitive to changes and especially the constant change on the OL we saw under Jones.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM

VN Store

Back