Depth chart for Utah state

20 minutes prep time. 20 minutes to cook.

But you get six servings.

Salisbury Steak Recipe - Allrecipes.com

:hi:

Promised my boys I'd never feed them those that were in the frozen food section of the grocery store. 6 were in a package and some crappy gravy was in there too. My brothers and I still talk/rage about those things when we get together....

Surprised not to see Neiko Creamer somewhere on the 2 deep! Good grief how does he not find a spot somewhere?

Oh and note this is post #1000 for Tennesseeduke! :pepper:

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

He's a true freshman that's still looking for a position. He's been moved from WR to LB and now to TE. He has great potential and I think he'll be a player in years to come, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him redshirt if possible.

Reactions: 1 person
Coleman listed as starting corner wasn't expected. I expect differently Sunday. Better be at least.

Just saw Coleman give up another long reception on the SEC Network replay of UT vs Missouri 2 years ago. I hope he's improved exponentially

....double OT, Coleman blows coverage again and gives up a TD on a 3rd and 4

Last edited:
Don't want your best corner returning punts....that's crazy. Also I am very surprised to see walk on Colton Jumper as the back up MLB...weird.

After that Deion Sanders failure you would think no coach would ever try such a thing. :eek:hmy:

Why is it that so many fans obsess over a top player returning punts and kickoffs? Is there some study showing a great increase in injury if a person plays PR or KR. People flip over this year in and year out if a productive WR or DB wins that job.

I don't remember all the injuries to returners over the years. It's not like they are blind folded and run 25 yards straight into the defender who has a 50yd head of steam. It's not like putting Aaron Medly in at Nose Tackle.

Special teams can win or lose games. I want the BEST returner that we have returning kicks and punts. I was there when Peerless Price demoralized a surging Bama on the way to the NC! I was sitting there once when Willie Gault (I'm old) blew by everyone for a KR TD. I'm glad those coaches weren't afraid to play football players. We need breaks this year. We need kicks and punts taken to the house and flipping field position.

No offense to you TVFGA, but I just don't understand this kind of conservative mindset.

D'Andre Payne, Rashaan Gaulden, Cortez McDowell, Riyahd Jones, Malik Foreman, Geraldo Orta, Lemond Johnson--- none of these can feature in the 2 deep ?
I trust the coaches though

Wow, that is kind of shocking. And Colton Jumper is all the rage today. At least in this thread. I don't think I've ever seen his name mentioned on VN or any news article ever. Only in a roster listing.

As far as ...
Payne. Kid's athletic, but I hear and see him get beaten a lot in scrimmages for big plays.

Gaulden. Beast IMO. Would not be suprised to see him start by UK or bowl game. Kid's special.

McDowell. Expect him to get some PT throughout the season. Kelly replaces DS in a few weeks and CD ends up in two deep by seasons end IMO. Starts w Kelly next season.

Jones. Just don't know. Excellent athlete but may be not so great of a football player? More injuries?

Foreman. Just seems like a decent player that got passed by more athletic recruits.

Orta. Johnson. Must not be trusted on an island. Maybe these guys (Jones) just aren't trusted explicitly by the staff to do their roles 100%? We may never know.

Reactions: 2 people
Quick question: I get that we plan to run a nickel defense as our primary defense, but with an already embarrassingly undersized defensive line, how exactly will taking one LB off the field and replacing a DE with a LB keep teams from running down our throats??

There's actually not as much difference as it appears when you look at the moving parts.

What I "think" will happen when we sub out of 4-3 to Nickel...... Obrien comes out and Coleman comes in. Your front 4 has lost about 11-17 pounds depending on the DE that gets slid inside to Tackle and Magitt puts his hand down. Also, I believe we will sub one of our bigger Safeties in at SS to be able to creep up to help with the run. Moral of the story, we will not be in this package in short yardage and obvious run downs....so the thought of somebody running it down our throat while we are in Nickel aren't that scary. Now coaches will try to scheme to get us in that pkg and try to prevent us from subbing, but that happens all the time and we just have to get the job done.

Our DTs seem undersized, but it won't hurt us this week as Utah State's O-line is "only" 294 on average. Hopefully we can be a "fast to the ball" defense on Sunday.

When we play Oklahoma and there are 320+ lineman across the front, our size will be a major problem.

We'll be eatin a lot of biscuits between now and then. :thumbsup:

Wow, that is kind of shocking. And Colton Jumper is all the rage today. At least in this thread. I don't think I've ever seen his name mentioned on VN or any news article ever. Only in a roster listing.

As far as ...
Payne. Kid's athletic, but I hear and see him get beaten a lot in scrimmages for big plays.

Gaulden. Beast IMO. Would not be suprised to see him start by UK or bowl game. Kid's special.

McDowell. Expect him to get some PT throughout the season. Kelly replaces DS in a few weeks and CD ends up in two deep by seasons end IMO. Starts w Kelly next season.

Jones. Just don't know. Excellent athlete but may be not so great of a football player? More injuries?

Foreman. Just seems like a decent player that got passed by more athletic recruits.

Orta. Johnson. Must not be trusted on an island. Maybe these guys (Jones) just aren't trusted explicitly by the staff to do their roles 100%? We may never know.

1. 2-deeps change somewhat, week to week.
2. Many of these guys will probably play on special teams even in this first game ...
3. ... Though one or two of em may redshirt; as revved up as I am by what I've heard about Gaulden, he probably could stand to have another 10-15 lbs of good weight put on before thrown in there (if we can afford to not put him on the field this year).
4. On the other hand, with best players often leaving early to try to go on the The League, there is less benefit than there used to be in red-shirting anybody if they are 4-5-star level. We'll see.

Utah State does have a good QB but they lost just as much as we did. We are an improved team and if we execute Tennessee should win...Period!!!

Utah State does have a good QB but they lost just as much as we did. We are an improved team and if we execute Tennessee should win...Period!!!

Yep! Their QB has me really concerned as a duel threat but especially running the ball. I think we have too much team speed on D though for him to break too many long runs. It's more going to be a matter of discipline & players doing their assignments on playcalls. I would love to see Weatherd and Vereen run the QB down from behind. We have that type of team speed on D. I just hope we can stay disciplined enough to make the right plays.

It's his first game back after an ACL injury. If he's not a little skittish and hesitant, especially in the face of a faster Vol defense, I'll be surprised.

Yep! Their QB has me really concerned as a duel threat but especially running the ball. I think we have too much team speed on D though for him to break too many long runs. It's more going to be a matter of discipline & players doing their assignments on playcalls. I would love to see Weatherd and Vereen run the QB down from behind.We have that type of team speed on D. I just hope we can stay disciplined enough to make the right plays.

Chucky needs to frisked at the gate then. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Yep! Their QB has me really concerned as a duel threat but especially running the ball. I think we have too much team speed on D though for him to break too many long runs. It's more going to be a matter of discipline & players doing their assignments on playcalls. I would love to see Weatherd and Vereen run the QB down from behind. We have that type of team speed on D. I just hope we can stay disciplined enough to make the right plays.

Didn't read through the whole thread so SIAP. I agree we obviously upgraded team speed as a whole but the 1st team secondary is all returning players? I thought Mosely and Williams were in a battle for the other CB and maybe one of the safeties would be a newcomer. For the secondary we only upgraded the speed on the second team.

Didn't read through the whole thread so SIAP. I agree we obviously upgraded team speed as a whole but the 1st team secondary is all returning players? I thought Mosely and Williams were in a battle for the other CB and maybe one of the safeties would be a newcomer. For the secondary we only upgraded the speed on the second team.

Not true! Swafford is starting beside Randolph at safety instead of McNeil. Swafford is faster than McNeil. Williams is a newcomer but he's probably one of the fastest players on the team. Weatherd is fast at DE. Vereen is fast at DE. Weathered isn't going to start but will play a big role on 3rd down & special pass rushing situations.

Moseley isn't that fast but has the heart of a lion & a fierce competitor. Out total team speed on D is way way improved. I think it comes down to execution & discipline with this team on the defensive side of the ball. We have weapons all over the field on offense too but I'm chatting about mainly the D side of the ball now.

Not true! Swafford is starting beside Randolph at safety instead of McNeil. Swafford is faster than McNeil. Williams is a newcomer but he's probably one of the fastest players on the team. Weatherd is fast at DE. Vereen is fast at DE. Weathered isn't going to start but will play a big role on 3rd down & special pass rushing situations.

Moseley isn't that fast but has the heart of a lion & a fierce competitor. Out total team speed on D is way way improved. I think it comes down to execution & discipline with this team on the defensive side of the ball. We have weapons all over the field on offense too but I'm chatting about mainly the D side of the ball now.

Link?

I was under the impression Moseley is fast as ish

Swafford started 2 games last year. I wasn't being negative just seemed odd. The coaches talked about increased team speed and then the first team unit in the secondary is basically the same. FYI Moseley is really fast. That's why they gave him a scholarship because he was undersized but fast(Now he is bigger and still fast).

Reactions: 1 person
Swafford started 2 games last year. I wasn't being negative just seemed odd. The coaches talked about increased team speed and then the first team unit in the secondary is basically the same. FYI Moseley is really fast. That's why they gave him a scholarship because he was undersized but fast(Now he is bigger and still fast).

Don't forget speed can be trained. And it seems we actually have a living, breathing S&C program again, which speed is a part of.

Maybe speed is also a result of knowing where to be instead of thinking to much. Just reacting. Just a thought
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Moseley IS NOT as fast as Williams though. I've seen this talked about multiple times by Fingers & others that provides us the insight on practices. I don't know how much faster in terms of 40 yard dash but faster indeed. Keep in mind that Williams is a track star as well.

I don't think we can go wrong with starting either one really. I just know Coleman has been given chance after chance at CB but has failed to live up to his expectations. That's probably why he's been given the nickelback duties now.

Swafford did start 2 games last season. I think he did pretty well myself including that pick 6 against Florida & picking up the blocked punt & running it in for another TD.

BTW, what is the NCAA requirements on releasing depth charts? I know there has to be a depth chart released the same week of a game. What about more than a 2 deep though? I'd like to know more than a 2 deep depth chart going into this first game.

VN Store

Back