• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Depth Chart at LB

sammyjoey

Because of all the injuries last year, we've got a ton of guys with good experience. My worry is that we've got a stable full of good LBs but no great LBs.

Anyway, does this look right?

SLB
LaMarcus Thompson (5th yr Sr)
Greg King (So)
Robert Nelson (RS Fr)

MLB
Austin Johnson (Jr)
Nick Reveiz (Sr)
Savion Frazier (Sr)
Shane Reveiz (Jr)

WLB
Herman Lathers (RS So)
Nigel Mitchell-Thornton (So)
Jared Askew (RS Fr)
Daryl Vereen (RS Jr)

wow, it is a logjam; I might put savion or king ahead of Nigel at WLB. Those two are too good. Its going to be real interesting to see how the MLB spot plays out. AJ has been playing great but Nick is such a tough player

I wouldn't be surprised to see Askew above NMT. Also, no way Austin Johnson ends up our #1 MLB, although I suspect we'll look for a way to get him lots of PT.

Last edited:
I think Reveiz starts at MLB without a doubt but they will find a way for AJ to get on the field a lot.

Would be nice to see Johnson playing on the offensive side of the ball during goal line situations and in any 3-4 sets we might run.

SLB
LaMarcus Thompson (5th yr Sr)
Greg King (So)
Robert Nelson (RS Fr)

MLB
Nick Reveiz (Sr)
Austin Johnson (Jr)
Shane Reveiz (Jr)

WLB
Herman Lathers (RS So)
Savion Frazier (Sr)
Jared Askew (RS Fr)
Nigel Mitchell-Thornton (So)
Daryl Vereen (RS Jr)

updated

Anybody worried that next year (11) we will be playing true Frosh with a couple of Srs ?

where do you think Crump and Propst fit in? Are they even worth mentioning?

I don't think so... We have solid depth at LB this year esepcially with Johnson emerging, and Askew making some descent plays today...

I'd love to get Johnson and Reveiz on the field at the same time as much as possible. Frazier, King, and Lathers are all higher on the depth chart then Crump and Propst

I thought austin johnson played good today... i would redshirt Crump and Propst let them learn from Reviez and the others ..our LB should be very good this year

Last edited:
Anybody worried that next year (11) we will be playing true Frosh with a couple of Srs ?

Huh? In 2011, our LB depth chart should have 3 Sr, 3 Jr, 2 So, and 2 Fr (plus 2011 signees):

SLB
Greg King (Jr)
Robert Nelson (RS So)
Raiques Crump (RS Fr)

MLB
Austin Johnson (Sr)
Shane Reveiz (Sr)
John Propst (RS Fr)

WLB
Herman Lathers (RS Jr)
Jared Askew (RS So)
Nigel Mitchell-Thornton (Jr)
Daryl Vereen (RS Sr)

Nick Reveiz is the dane bradshaw of football. He busts his tail for Tennessee whenever he's out there and I'm all for that, but you can't compare him to the talent of an Al Wilson, Kevin Burnett, or Kevin Simon...these guys also lived for Tennesse, and were some of the best leaders we've had recently. Point being Nick might be our starter but he's not our savior...just hope people know that.

Nick Reveiz is the dane bradshaw of football. He busts his tail for Tennessee whenever he's out there and I'm all for that, but you can't compare him to the talent of an Al Wilson, Kevin Burnett, or Kevin Simon...these guys also lived for Tennesse, and were some of the best leaders we've had recently. Point being Nick might be our starter but he's not our savior...just hope people know that.

you know nothing about the game

I think we are deep at LB too...The 1 difference we may have this year than the GLORY days is a lack of elite speed...But I say they will be productive.

If they are stout like some of the Penn St. crews we'll be OK (No Big 10 SEC comparisons necessary).

I come in peace :peace2:
but I actually agree. I love Nick's effort, his determination and heart but he is not an elite LB. Physically, He's limited.

I was completely impressed with Austin Johnson (who's bright idea was it to move him away from LB? :no: ) and Jerod Askew.

VN Store

Back