Defensive Backs (merged)

Coming from an average fan with zero experience, the common thread seems to be a lack of development. I can't believe that all of the guys leaving lack talent. Ten-yard cushions, poor tackling, and lack of ball awareness, all point to coaching in my book. If you don't buy that, then I'd say we have a huge problem with evaluating talent.

Reactions: volmanNC
Is it conceiveable that the scholarship DB's frequent this site and saw how dissappointed the fans have been in their performance and decided to jump ship for the portal opportunities? (blue font?)

Are we actually down to (6) scholarship DB's for the upcoming bowl game?

I thought I saw a headline that Iowa's starting TE was sitting out the bowl game to prepare for the draft. If that's the case, that should ease the threat since he was their leading pass receiver. It certainly looks like Banks will be loading the box. "Beat us in the air. You're not beating us on the ground."

Coming from an average fan with zero experience, the common thread seems to be a lack of development. I can't believe that all of the guys leaving lack talent. Ten-yard cushions, poor tackling, and lack of ball awareness, all point to coaching in my book. If you don't buy that, then I'd say we have a huge problem with evaluating talent.
CB is one of the easiest positions to rank out of H.S. because it’s one of those positions that require superior athleticism (speed/quickness). No coach can “develop”speed/quickness.

Take a scroll through the recruiting rankings over the last 5-8 years of UT’s CB recruiting. It’s atrocious. Compare it to the top teams in CFB. Last year and this cycle is substantially better than previous years.

Ten yard cushions are a result of not being able to lock up with a WR and win. When the D doesn’t have the dudes on the outside, it changes what they can do schematically and they end up playing cushion. Pair that with bad S play, and you end up with a secondary like UT has.

If W.Martinez had Bama’s secondary, this tooic would be a moot point.

With all the d backs entering the portal I really wondered if we would have enough to play the bowl game. Maybe we can go to the fraternity houses and see if anybody would volunteer. We have gotten a volunteer place kicker out of a frat house that did a pretty good job once !

CB is one of the easiest positions to rank out of H.S. because it’s one of those positions that require superior athleticism (speed/quickness). No coach can “develop”speed/quickness.

Take a scroll through the recruiting rankings over the last 5-8 years of UT’s CB recruiting. It’s atrocious. Compare it to the top teams in CFB. Last year and this cycle is substantially better than previous years.

Ten yard cushions are a result of not being able to lock up with a WR and win. When the D doesn’t have the dudes on the outside, it changes what they can do schematically and they end up playing cushion. Pair that with bad S play, and you end up with a secondary like UT has.

If W.Martinez had Bama’s secondary, this tooic would be a moot point.
Bingo!

Is it conceiveable that the scholarship DB's frequent this site and saw how dissappointed the fans have been in their performance and decided to jump ship for the portal opportunities? (blue font?)

Are we actually down to (6) scholarship DB's for the upcoming bowl game?
Not 6, 10, plus Brooks.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Just reading the tea leaves but I’m pretty much sure with all the happenings Martinez is gone.Unless everyone is leaving for better coaching.

Great spreadsheet.
This really displays how thin we are in the secondary.
It is scary, but I think our staff can coach.
7 DBs when we usually play 5 on the field is going to be the story of the game for us.
My concern is Iowa plays a bruising tundra chewing running game, and that punishment a defense can take the strength out of DBs (and all defenders, but we lack bodies in the secondary) over 4 quarters.
We’ve also got John Slaughter and Jordan Matthews.

I’m actually really excited about the secondary now with the recent roster turnover.

Read the Jarod McCoy interview. Martinez closed the deal. He isn’t going anywhere, probably because he puts players in the NFL every year.
Ok then but I’m tires of seeing db’s get hit with the ball in the back of the helmet.Don’t ever recal seeing that in the NFL when I use to watch that show

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Read the Jarod McCoy interview. Martinez closed the deal. He isn’t going anywhere, probably because he puts players in the NFL every year.

Incorrect, Martinez will be gone when his contract expires. He's horrible. We had the #7] pass Defense, he won't be back!

I thought I saw a headline that Iowa's starting TE was sitting out the bowl game to prepare for the draft. If that's the case, that should ease the threat since he was their leading pass receiver. It certainly looks like Banks will be loading the box. "Beat us in the air. You're not beating us on the ground."

Definitely...that was our approach in several games this year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Our secondary can't cover or are even coached to look for the ball, but hey he put a few players in the NFL.

So did Butch Jones ffs.

VN Store

Back