Deepest hole we've been in

I actually disagree on this. Just my opinion but we are in much better shape now than we were when Kiffin and Dooley left. Just from the recruiting rankings we are light years ahead of the players that Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley all left. Biggest difference is this was the worst group of player developering Coaching that we have had since I've been watching TN Football. Definitely had the worst teaching staff in the SEC. They were soft and very poorly coached. That won't be an issue with these Coach's. And our recruiting will go to a whole different level.

I disagree as well. CJP and staff are inheriting a rather soft team but one not without some talent and the potential to be coached up. We cannot realistically expect an overnight miracle. A turnaround is already in progress but it will take time. And just like with any corporate turnaround, some turnover is not only inevitable but necessary. We need to give him two recruiting classes, and a couple of seasons, to show what he can do. But I feel we are in good hands and that the majority of the fanbase will stick with him for at least two years and that should be enough to see UT football getting back to a level where we can play with anybody and win on any given Saturday, whether in September, October or November.

Reactions: 1 person
I came here to start a thread titled Rock Bottom, but this thread holds the jist of my concerns. I think we hit rock bottom as a football program in 2017-2018. Now I know it could always be worse, but with a University with the tradition like UT, last season was rock bottom. HereÂ’s hoping for an upward trajectory from here on out.

I'm not sure if we can accurately judge the talent we have on the roster. It seems none of it was ever coached and developed properly.

I've been trying to control my heart rate since the implosion of the program this year. In a few weeks, the recruiting class will signing and the program will be fully engaged on what's next.

As a fan I am trying to temper my expectations. I think the program being inherited by Pruitt is in much worse shape than what any other coach has inherited at Tennessee. We have multiple players that are leaving early for the NFL and transferring to other schools.
It appears that Dormady may be one of them.

We have a lot of undeveloped Talent that has been on the team for years. Our current recruiting class is totally up in the air. It might get better, but it might not. We still have several positions of need that aren't truly filled, especially with depth.

With the Resurgence of Georgia, we now have both an Alabama Florida, and the Georgia games that are going to be harder than normal to win. I only add Florida to that list because we seem to have a jinx that prevents us from beating them even when we should. No matter how bad Florida plays we always seem to play down to their level.

I think Pruitt's rebuilding process is going to take longer than we have the patience for. I'm seeing this being at least 3 years before we realistically start being able to play at the level of SEC play that we need to be at. I just don't know if VN has the stomach for it again.

Not even close. Butch inherited far worse after Dooley, and if he did anything good, it was recruit. The cupboard isn't bare, it isn't elite, but with a good coach we can do alright.

I do think many will call for Pruitts head after year 1. Can't fix stupid.

I do not expect to win the SEC or even the east next year. But We will get better. I don't know what our ceiling is with CJP, I tend to be optimistic, but I think our floor is still a bowl game. CJP should be afforded a sliding scale for the first few years and National Championships should not be the only measuring stick. That's elite and very few coaches EVER win those. It will take time. It doesn't matter the roster or coaching staff. I do believe we will soon believe we CAN realistically win every game we play in.

Change happens and it takes time, but everyone will see what Mullen and Gruden can actually do. And we will see CJP. Maybe that will help our patience. OR those coaches tear it up and we flop . . . Again and the conversations about ifs and buts and candy and nuts makes the coaching firing accelerate. Can't teach patience.

I disagree as well. CJP and staff are inheriting a rather soft team but one not without some talent and the potential to be coached up. We cannot realistically expect an overnight miracle. A turnaround is already in progress but it will take time. And just like with any corporate turnaround, some turnover is not only inevitable but necessary. We need to give him two recruiting classes, and a couple of seasons, to show what he can do. But I feel we are in good hands and that the majority of the fanbase will stick with him for at least two years and that should be enough to see UT football getting back to a level where we can play with anybody and win on any given Saturday, whether in September, October or November.

A'ight, you're being nice enough to give Pruitt 2 seasons to be able to do a total rebuild of the player roster, totally change our O and D systems, get them built up in S & C to play strong enough to push anyone around and be able to WIN against any team in the country.

A'ight my friend, that's really reasonable of you.

So we lose 2 classes of Sr's and Jr's and replace 1/2 of our roster with Sophs and true Freshmen and we're instantly ready to WIN against anyone.

A'ight, sounds like a plan buddy.

That's a really great plan, A'ight, for someone that knows nothing at all about college football much less in the always brutal SEC.

Sorry buddy but you're not even close to realistic, A'ight?

A'ight!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Right now success is predicated on two things: coaching up existing talent and achieving outsized success with an initial recruiting class. I'm not banking on either because most of the time these elements do not work out so well. Smart took over from an excellent head coach and had the GA recruiting ground on which to capitalize. TN is in the midst of experiencing significant, if not catastrophic, defections from the existing talent base. Anything beyond 5 wins is a monumental accomplishment at this point. But let's see how the recruiting class turns out. Great unknowns abound.

I believe there is much more talent now than either Dooley or Jones inherited. Yes, there were some diamonds that both of them benefitted from. I seem to remember a number of Fulmer's players leaving under Kiffin and a number of Kiffin's recruits leaving when he left leaving Dooley with far short of the 85 scholarship limit. Kiffin may have been short. The 2017 team would have won more games but for injuries and poor coaching. Yes, some players late now leaving early, but that is normal. CJP is not inheriting an 8-loss quality roster. Yes, there are holes, thin spots, and underdeveloped players, but all of that can be addressed with good coaching and motivated, coachable players. Anybody that believes Kentucky and Vanderbilt has more talent is smoking some good s***.

Reactions: 2 people
B!tch Jones recruited with drunken abandon. It had nothing to do with need or skills and even less to do with his vaunted "scheme" of steaming, festering manure. He went for ratings without considering how to use that player. Many of the weak links have moved on. It should be a tough group playing this year.

GO BIG ORANGE!

---
The most damning indictment of Butch...well there's so many...but the most obvious one to the world was his use..or lack thereof...of Kamara. That was blatant ineptitude..and unforgivable.

I actually disagree on this. Just my opinion but we are in much better shape now than we were when Kiffin and Dooley left. Just from the recruiting rankings we are light years ahead of the players that Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley all left. Biggest difference is this was the worst group of player developering Coaching that we have had since I've been watching TN Football. Definitely had the worst teaching staff in the SEC. They were soft and very poorly coached. That won't be an issue with these Coach's. And our recruiting will go to a whole different level.

There is some talent on this team, however, the Offensive line will be our weakness next year with really only 1 proven player, Trey Smith. Lack of ( quality) depth will also come into play. With our tough schedule, 6-6 next year would be quite an accomplishment.

It
There is talent on this team with actual coaches on the sidelines. Tempered expectations, of course, but it's time to put on big boy britches and start playing with the big boys again. It starts with recruiting and I feel that CJP isn't afraid to go in with the bluebloods of college football. Next is development. Time to get to work. (For them, not me. :yes:)

It will work out

The first law of holes: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Not since Coach Johnny Majors have we hired a coach, or group of coaches with as much combined success as we have this go-round. It may take a couple of years, but I am confident that the recruits will come. The development of players will happen. The wins will follow. So ease your mind and relax.

Open+grave.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Georgia, bammer, and until recently Florida have been recruiting top classes for a lot of years, so Vols have some catching up to do. But the team now has much more talent than when Kiffin, Dooley, or Butch took over. They should have a little better season this fall on coaching and new players. Year after this, I think we will see some favorable movement in the W/L columns. SEC will continue to be tough, but Tennessee won't be a weak sister and darn sure not the skunk. jmho

---
The most damning indictment of Butch...well there's so many...but the most obvious one to the world was his use..or lack thereof...of Kamara. That was blatant ineptitude..and unforgivable.

Does anyone ever think or imagine that Butch has been sitting at home and watching (while collecting part of his 8 million buyout), watching Kamara thinking, why didn't we ever see that out him at UT.

Butch came into a very tough situation, that has to be acknowledged. And at least from a pure talent standpoint, left us in a better place than when he got here.

He couldn't' develop talent, which is the root cause of him getting fired.

Pruitt will recruit at an elite level and develop the talent, including those recruited by Butch. This is not a 3 year project imo. I think 8-4 / 9-3 is the best case for 2018. I'm expecting a big jump in 2019.

I see Pruitt struggling at UT and having to play Georgia , Bama and Florida every year certainly doesnÂ’t help. I wish we wouldÂ’ve hired a offensive minded coach because of our recent offensive struggles. Hopefully he wins big at UT but I foresee another coaching change in 2020 or 2021

lol. Be calm! CJP can recruit AND coach!

Yes, Sure, we don't have the 5 stars yet, but there is plenty of raw talent that will be much, much, much more competitive next year.

VN Store

Back