Dayz

I just happened to open the twitch app on my phone and noticed there were 50+ dayz streams. Took me a minute to realize why.

I'm a little sad to drop all my gear though..

I wish this were available on console. I am not a big enough gamer to justify building a PC for one game.

What are the requirements for the standalone?

I just quickly looked last night - on first glance didn't seem the system reqs were any lower.

I may wait though... Looks glitchy as hell.

Damn it. I got DayZ'd earlier today.

When the group I run with isn't on, I hop onto a non-PvP server when I'm hunting a specific loot item. In this case, NVGs or a RangeFinder. Been looking for a few weeks now.

I'm all kitted up, with ghillie, and m40, pretty much everything you can have in Vanilla, minus the NVGs and RF.

Some guy calls out in sidechat that he's stuck at Northwest Airfield and needs blood. I'm looting near there, so I engage him and tell him I'm on my way with a blood bag. He proceeds to keep asking me to not shoot him (should've been my first clue). But it's a non-PvP server, so I don't think much of it.

I get to his location on top of the firehouse, and he's in a bandit skin. My initial reaction was to run away, which I did, and I yelled "Whoa dude, you're a freaking bandit!" He exclaims "It's ok, I'm not going to shoot you." I hesitated, but trusted in the non-PvP server, and approached him and started the blood transfusion.

Just as the blood transfusion ends, he opens fire with an M16 at point blank range. Boom. I'm dead instantly.

I respawn way the hell down on the beach, and he's laughing hysterically. The other 4 people on the server are trying to figure out what happened, and I'm fawking pissed and yelling at the guy. He makes some snide comments, and then says "don't worry, you can get your body."

Ran the 30 minutes back up there, and no body to be found. Dude hid it and logged off.

I have multiple camps and hidey holes built, so it's not a complete loss, but I was definitely carrying some rare items that I really didn't want to lose and didn't have multiples of.

Anyway, long story short, I lost some faith in DayZ humanity today. I think next time I go to help a stranger, even on a non-PvP server, I'm going to break his leg, knock him out, take his weapons, then heal him up. If he's nice, I'll give him his guns back.

/rant. I'm much better now, a few hours later, but I just needed to tell that story.

When the group I run with isn't on, I hop onto a non-PvP server when I'm hunting a specific loot item. In this case, NVGs or a RangeFinder. Been looking for a few weeks now.

I'm all kitted up, with ghillie, and m40, pretty much everything you can have in Vanilla, minus the NVGs and RF.

Some guy calls out in sidechat that he's stuck at Northwest Airfield and needs blood. I'm looting near there, so I engage him and tell him I'm on my way with a blood bag. He proceeds to keep asking me to not shoot him (should've been my first clue). But it's a non-PvP server, so I don't think much of it.

I get to his location on top of the firehouse, and he's in a bandit skin. My initial reaction was to run away, which I did, and I yelled "Whoa dude, you're a freaking bandit!" He exclaims "It's ok, I'm not going to shoot you." I hesitated, but trusted in the non-PvP server, and approached him and started the blood transfusion.

Just as the blood transfusion ends, he opens fire with an M16 at point blank range. Boom. I'm dead instantly.

I respawn way the hell down on the beach, and he's laughing hysterically. The other 4 people on the server are trying to figure out what happened, and I'm fawking pissed and yelling at the guy. He makes some snide comments, and then says "don't worry, you can get your body."

Ran the 30 minutes back up there, and no body to be found. Dude hid it and logged off.

I have multiple camps and hidey holes built, so it's not a complete loss, but I was definitely carrying some rare items that I really didn't want to lose and didn't have multiples of.

Anyway, long story short, I lost some faith in DayZ humanity today. I think next time I go to help a stranger, even on a non-PvP server, I'm going to break his leg, knock him out, take his weapons, then heal him up. If he's nice, I'll give him his guns back.

/rant. I'm much better now, a few hours later, but I just needed to tell that story.

I want this game so damn bad

That is one thing some people love and/or hate about this game. 99% you lose your gear once killed. The 1% hope is a random zombie kill and no one comes across your body.

I want this game so damn bad

It's super addicting, I'll warn you. I've had it for a year, but only within the last 2 weeks have I really started playing it with any depth or attachment.

I've never played a game that eats time like this. I tell myself to stop every night at 11pm and go to bed, and then I look up and it's 2am.

That is one thing some people love and/or hate about this game. 99% you lose your gear once killed. The 1% hope is a random zombie kill and no one comes across your body.

Hiding the body is about the most assholish thing you can do. I can deal with general banditry - robbing, killing (to an extent), and stealing.

But if you do kill, take the items you want, and leave the body. That player will probably try to come back for any gear you leave behind, and things like canteens and a map/compass are nice to recover.

And if you really don't like them, you can always camp the body and wait.

Any regular servers you guys play on? Got the Alpha this morning and liking it already.

Currently playing in GA 2-9, my call sign is Governor. Already killed two players and not sure I'll use this server all the time or not.

Last edited:
I'm avoiding the alpha for now. There's already been a mass character wipe, I expect there will be many, many more.

I'm not ready to drop $30 to alpha test for them, especially when the mod is working just fine.

I play on US3533

This game is amazing even in the alpha stage. I've never played a game that gets my heart rate up so much when combat in imminent. I've now changed to hunting bad guys who are up to no good.

Finally got around to buying the standalone. Haven't had much time to play, but it's different, that's for certain.

I'm bumping this thread hoping there are some people here who play. I play with a buddy of mine about one, sometimes two, days a week.

We are always looking for more to join our group so we can make a run on Elektro.

I haven't played in nearly a year. Are you playing the mod or the standalone?

VN Store

Back